Tubular with low rolling resistance

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Distiller

by Distiller

Hello,
I'm new to both this forum and tubular wheels and I have a question that you've probably discussed a hundred times but I hope someone takes the time to help me.
I'm looking for tubular tires that have low rolling resistance but also reasonably good puncture protection.
Have tested the Conti Sprinter and I think they have extremely high rolling resistance compared to the Conti gp5000 clinchers I drove with before the wheel change.
Now I ride Vittoria Corsa Graphene and they feel significantly better but are there any that are even better?
I´ve heard of Dugast Strada and Michelin Power, are they the next step up?

Regards
Martin, Sweden

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

Vittoria Corsa Pro tubular is probably the fastest with reasonable puncture protection?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

C36

by C36

I am waiting Aerocoach to publish the Veloflex Pro Tour Race rolling data. Vf claim similar tech than the ultra fast reccord, with more thickness, then expect to have a bit higher RR, but I would like to see it in the GP5K range (here purely a guess!).
I used 2 pairs already without a puncture (well I haven't puctured in 5 years, so I am not sure I am really representative).

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I have been using the previous gen Vittoria Corsa G 2.0 and G+ tubs on 25mm size for some years. I get they don't test well, but IRL I don't find them noticeably slower than GP5000S TRs. The Corsa Speed is faster but paper thin.

On the other hand the Sprinters are very slow and I would avoid.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Aress

by Aress

Power cups are rumored to be fast as hell

faster than conti competion ltd and as fast as the clincher version of the cups

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have been running the Veloflex Pro and found them to be good with RR and with good puncture resistance compared to Mich Powercups and Vitt Corsa G+. Vittoria is always my next choice followed by Mich Powercups. I have only run Tubs for years and cant comment on anything else.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

DHG01

by DHG01

I use quite a few tubulars.
Recently I have tried Specialized Sworks Turbo Allround in 26 mm (also available in 24 mm).

I ride them side to side to a few others (Corsa, Corsa Control, Veloflex Raven, etc) and I was quite impressed; they seem really supple and fast. Not saying better than Corsa, but certainly another one worth considering.

Along puncture protection, likelihood of repair is another angle to consider (and can be found now at €50).

I find latex inner tube tubulars repair a lot better. The latex just wants to stick to itself. Further, wider tubualrs repair better as the require lower pressures. The 26 mm Sworks punctured day one unfortunately- but it was really a 5 minute fix. The 25 mm Corsa Control also punctured early on a couple years ago; I also got a 3-4 mm puncture a few weeks back that, with lots of love, managed to seal (that would have never sealed on tubeless).

Challenge have some high end 28 mm tubulars; but the high end ones are very expensive.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

When you say repair DHG01, do you mean filling with Vittoria goop or opening the tire to patch like many years ago?
I got a couple Zipp tubs onsale and they didnt last long at all even after filling with Vittoria goop but they did ride nice.

DHG01

by DHG01

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:41 pm
When you say repair DHG01, do you mean filling with Vittoria goop or opening the tire to patch like many years ago?
I got a couple Zipp tubs onsale and they didnt last long at all even after filling with Vittoria goop but they did ride nice.

Hi - that is a good point; and bad choice of words on my side. I use sealant (which then complicates the true repair you mention).

I still have a single Zipp Tangente tubular. Rides really well. I got mine through Merlin on a sale; my problem was with loosing air/puncture near the valve - but that is a Merlin thing - I don't know how the manipulate tubulars, but I received quite a few from them defective.

I memory serves my right, the Zipps are 28 mm (and certainly latex inner tube). I would tend to think they seal well. I use Effetto Mariposa and pump slowly manually (not C02).

I was very impressed with how it worked recently on the Corsa Control. On the road I pumped up manually to 5 bar; once I got home, testing, I pumped to 7.5 bar (not that it was necessary, but good to test).

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Yes I also got the Zipps from Merlin as well and most of my tubs were coming from there. I normally purchase the Vittoria and Veloflex but as of late Merlin hasnt much for tubs so I have been shopping at https://www.xxcycle.com/ and they have reasonable prices and shipping costs.

LouisN

by LouisN

Distiller wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:48 pm
Hello,
I'm new to both this forum and tubular wheels and I have a question that you've probably discussed a hundred times but I hope someone takes the time to help me.
I'm looking for tubular tires that have low rolling resistance but also reasonably good puncture protection.
Have tested the Conti Sprinter and I think they have extremely high rolling resistance compared to the Conti gp5000 clinchers I drove with before the wheel change.
Now I ride Vittoria Corsa Graphene and they feel significantly better but are there any that are even better?
I´ve heard of Dugast Strada and Michelin Power, are they the next step up?

Regards
Martin, Sweden
Welcome to tubular world :beerchug:

If you're looking for "numbers" that's one thing (IMHO impossible to reproduce in real road conditions) but I doubt Sprinters are "extremely" high rolling resistance...
Many many amateur racers are using them because they are reasonably priced, perform well on all terrain (it would be great to see a 28 mm appear :thumbup: ), are really tough and last a long time, they just "work".
If budget allows, Conti Competition are a bit smoother.
I tried almost all tubs and the best by far for me in terms of performance and durability are Veloflex Pro Tour (and PT Race).
Victoria's last half as long as the Veloflex for me, and I have had many irregular tub shapes. Never tried the new Corsa Pro though.

Have fun on your tubs !

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com