HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:46 am 
in the industry

Well I have a bike to finish of and the wheels are using the 350 disc brake straight pull hub which of course comes with a 10 speed shimano body. Given I have done on more than one occassion put an 11 speed road body on these hubs with no issues I had assumed a campagnolo freehub would fit. Well it does and it works but when the wheel is in the frame with the Q/R done up the freehub body binds. So why is this happening everything inside the freehub that should be there is there for the mechanism to work. Is there a fundimental imcompatibility in the parts, the UK serivce centre has not been very helpful. the DT Swiss tech manual does not shed any light either as far as I can tell.

Plan B is to use a shimano 11 speed body and ultegra cassette with the chorus drivetrain but this is not what I had planned.

Any help in identify why the problem is occuring as I have drawn a blank. Oh the hub works fine with shimano 10 and 11 speed bodies.

The one thing I have found out is the axle spacer for the campagnolo version of the hubs and the shimano version are both 15.4mm long I was hoping they were different but can some one confirm this by measuring the spacer in a campagnolo road 350 hub?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:51 pm 

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
What lockring you using geezer? I ask that because the original Campag ones have quite long threaded sections, so long in fact that the leading edge can sometimes ever so slightly bottom out if used in some types of hub. After market alloy ones, like Token, have shorter threaded sections with less danger of bottoming-out.

But probably nothing to do with the lockring at all ...

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:51 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:21 am 

Which drive side end cap are you using with the Campy freehub? The Shimano 10spd end cap and Shimano 11spd end caps are different lengths (11spd is slightly longer).

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=104672

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:29 pm 
in the industry

Wel the problem occurs even if no cassette is fitted i,e just campagnolo freehub fitted and wheel secured by Q/R. I am using the DS end cap for the campagnolo freehub as supplied by madison. I don't know the part number, however I am lead to believe there is only one. The shimano end cap does not fit the campagnolo freehub anyway too wide.

I went to plan B on the customers bike fitted an HG-11 speed freehub and an ultegra cassette for his campagnolo drivetrain but I need to resolve the the problem somehow. Another play tommorrow is in order, maybe it was a faulty freehub as the first HG-11 freehub I fitted did not silde on without the outer bearing popping out - the inner sleave is to smaller in the ID to slide over the axle properly hense the problem so I think the freehub is at fault now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:37 pm 

Any luck with a fix?
I'm doing the same thing and getting the same results. I tried DT in the states but no reply let?