Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
RC856

by RC856

Yes mate.
Good tyres on both so never contemplated that.
Just used to being able to jam the brakes on the Shamals but the tubs are more grabby so realised I couldn't do that.
Consequently, I might not have been braking enough for fear of squeezing too hard :?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

"Grabby" brakes are not good whether they are alloy rims or carbon. No experience with the Gigantex rims so maybe someone else can help out. Certainly brake pad setup is important, as is experience to get used to the different feel. But to this day, even though I've ridden some of the nicest carbon tubulars you can ride, nothing comes close to the braking I get with a simple alloy Nemesis rim and regular Campy brake pads. I always love the feel of riding those wheels in every respect. But they can't match the weight of the carbon offerings.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RC856

by RC856

To be honest, I don't think I'm noticing a huge difference on the tubs from Shamals.
I use Super Record brakes with SwissStop pads.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yellow Swiss-Stops? Ouch! Worst pads I've ever used on carbon rims. They are hard and they glaze over and they're just bad. Back around 2009/10 however, that's what everyone was recommending for carbon rims claiming such great braking etc. I tried them on my first set of carbon rims and thought "you've got to be kidding me". In the wet they were horrendous, and in the cold but dry they screeched like crazy on my setup no matter what I did. I can't speak to the new Black prince pads they have but you might want to experiment with some different pads before giving up entirely on your wheels. But there's no shame in admitting you tried carbon but like alloy better.

As an aside, what we're talking about here is probably not in the right thread. It's not really about tubulars, it's just about carbon rims versus alloy rims, correct? Oh well.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RC856

by RC856

I use the Black Prince. Wheelsmith didn't recommend the yellow!
Ah...I thought I was in the right place as I was talking about my transition to tubulars and thought it might be bad technique on my part but we've kind of moved to the alloy/carbon chat

tharmor

by tharmor

I'm glueing my tubulars at the moment and I am trying to decide which pressures o run on my Veloflex Arenbegs. What I've read in here it's sounds like around 100-105psi. Anyone running 85-95psi?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I seem to get on pretty well with 105-110psi in the rear and about 95psi in the front. I'm pushing 200lbs.

TuplaO

by TuplaO

I weigh about the same as Calnago, but I sometimes go to 95 psi (~6,5 bar) in the back. It does seem to increase rolling resistance a bit, but it sure is comfortable.

Zoro

by Zoro

For what its worth my son did Paris-Roubaix (juniors) today and ran 100 psi on a 25mm Dugaust. He ran the higher pressure to avoid flat spotting and ruining my EC90 wheels. As he is not a Euro person it was felt he might hit a few more bumps than those that know the roads. As race of 111km, that pressure worked and we will use again - if there is an again. He weighs about 63kg.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Calnago wrote:Glad to hear they gave you store credit at least for the blown Vittoria. Some might have tried to charge you a premium for a well aged tubular like that :).

Only if it came out of a Belgian root cellar ;-)

PinaRene

by PinaRene

For commuting, going from clinchers to tubulars.

Dura Ace 7900 Hubs 32H / Ambrosio Rims and Dura Ace 12-25 Cassette. Set came incl. Vittoria Pave Tubular tires ( front wheel never used ). Think the Shimano RS20 set must leave the field, time to sell something :smartass:

nlouthan

by nlouthan

Just thought I'd share what I use for glue removal. Makes it pretty easy.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp ... ir=catalog

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Paris roubaix on 25mm tyres with 100psi sounds like a bone shaking ride. I did it on 30mm tyres with 60 psi and that was enough.

Nice choice of comutting wheels. I have a similar set and love them.

Zoro

by Zoro

Well they are labeled 25mm and they are not - actual 26-27. Also update from kid and they were less PSI than that. So bad me for being a bad reporter. He did different than planned, go figure.

There were lots of blisters on his hands. Wondering if no gloves is better than gloves.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I didn't wear gloves or mits and had no blisters but that I think has more to with the 30mm tyres at 60 psi than anything else. the 2 star cobbled sections were quite smooth it only the 4 and 5 star ones that rattled my teeth quite a bit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com