Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

thechemist wrote:
Kayrehn wrote:Sometimes the rubber casing gets in between the gap - try to pry ad widen the area around the stem first. If you're using a long stem for deeper rims, I'm amazed you managed to get the stans sealant in at all!

Well I haven't glued the tire back on yet so I will go check around the casing and make sure the stem is easy access.

I am using zipp 404s but once I took the value stem off I just put the sealant in the valve stem hole?

You can use a Maxxis MVS valve extender to replace the red Vittoria valve, they're interchangeble. Maxxis extender's core is removable, so it's easy to fill sealant.

Greg66

by Greg66

Have I just screwed up royally?

I've just gone back to tubs. As part of the preparation I bought a light Tufo tub and some Tufo tape to carry as a spare under the saddle. Having read what I thought were references to pre-taped spares here, I applied the tape to the tyre, then folded it up.

Now watching. Youtube, it seems that the tape goes onto the rim. Does the tape really have a rim and a tyre side? If I'm just using it to get me home, does it make a difference?

And if I have to do a roadside change, it looks like I peel a small bit of tape cover off either side of the valve, mount the tyre, inflate it, *then* pull out the tape cover from between the tyre and the rim. Right?

I'm sure this is all fairly simple, but it doesn't seem simple right now...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

is the normal tub glued? if so, you just pre-glue the tufo spare, that's what i do, then when required you pull the flat off and fit the tufo, it should stick well enough to get home on (but i avoid heavy braking/hard cornering)

glue, let it dry, fold it basetape to basetape, secure with a rubber band and keep it in a ziploc bag/whatever to protect from rain/sweat/dirt

the glue will eventually lose tack, i reglue the spare every year or so

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Greg66: I've been using an unglued spare with tape-glued tyres. The two or three times I had a flat, there was enough of the tacky stuff left on the rim to get me home with the unglued spare.

Yes, tape goes on the rim.

Greg66

by Greg66

Ok, thanks. Sounds as if I've made a moderate horse's arse of it, but not so bad that I won't be able to get home on it. Which is all that matters. I can sort it out properly after that.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Does the tape really have a rim and a tyre side?

No, it doesn't but having the tape on the tub instead of the rim bed is just not that practical.

If you're current tub is simply glued on using rim cement I wouldn't bother with the Tufo tape on the spare.
If OTOH you already use Tufo tape on the current set up then good luck getting the tub off.....

Ciao, ;)

P.S. Two things I try hard to avoid when cycling: Tufo tape and Tufo tubs (I'd rather go see my dentist).... :mrgreen:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Greg66

by Greg66

That's the price of being a newbie!

The wheels have a mismatched pair of tyres right now - a Conti 4000 and a Vittoria of some description. Both look to be glued.

The idea is to use the Tufo just to get home, then remove it and either repair or replace the punctured tub. The Tufo will back in the saddle bag for the next puncture.

Sounds like I should be able to make it home, at least.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I'd still peel off the Tufo tape from the spare and just pre-glue it with regular rim cement just the same.
Using the spare with the Tufo tape may make it pretty tough to remove it afterwards. Both tape and tyre that is.

Ciao, ;)

Greg66

by Greg66

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

I'd still peel off the Tufo tape from the spare and just pre-glue it with regular rim cement just the same.
Using the spare with the Tufo tape may make it pretty tough to remove it afterwards. Both tape and tyre that is.

Ciao, ;)

Took this advice. Tufo tape now securely screwed into a ball and in the bin. Phew!

Different question entirely: Zipp 404/808 FC tubs are wide: 26-27mm. What good tubular tyre comes in a width to match that?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

The width of the Zipps is measured where exactly?
What matters is for making a choice of tubular tyre width is the width of the rim bed. I.e. say it measures 21mm then you can use a 21mm wide tyre and wider. never narrower than the measured width.

Ciao, ;)

Greg66

by Greg66

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

The width of the Zipps is measured where exactly?
What matters is for making a choice of tubular tyre width is the width of the rim bed. I.e. say it measures 21mm then you can use a 21mm wide tyre and wider. never narrower than the measured width.

Ciao, ;)

Good question. I was look here: http://zipp.com/wheels/808-firecrest---tubular/# under "Specs".

Brake Track Width (center) 26.04mm
Max Width 27.5mm

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

The specs would suggest anything as wide as 25mm and upwards.

Ciao, ;)

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I've found that the adhesion for Tufo Tape is not nearly as good as Mastik glue. There is such a difference that I will continue to use Mastik.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

By the time my tubs with mastik 1 glue have set I cannpt remove with my hands alone. Levering the tub of with a tyre lever is the only way. Thats how good this glue is. A tub never moves with it. I have yet to find the spare tubs popped on at the road side moving either. The last spare I had to pop on I did in the end re glue after a few weeks but after having difficulty pulling the spare tub of I have to wonder why I bothered. Mastik1 is brilliant stuff.

I do put three layers of glue on the rim and a layer or two on the tub it seems to create a very firm bond.

gravity

by gravity

Hi,

Having just converted myself into riding tubulars, I'm just curious what is the general consensus on measuring the life of a tubular tyre? Do you go by miles ridden, time (weeks, month, year..) or just by looking at the wear of the thread?

And if so, when is the time to change a new tubular?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com