Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
sungod

by sungod

yep, that's the downside of latex tubes

in prep for long rides i tend to over-inflate a bit on the basis they'll lose some

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

sungod wrote:yep, that's the downside of latex tubes

in prep for long rides i tend to over-inflate a bit on the basis they'll lose some

I pump my Veloflex sprinter to 110 from and 130 rear... in my 67.5 miles ride, towards the end I can feel the ride is much comfy compared to beginning.. at least the glue job was good. Thanks to everyone's tip [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mackers

by Mackers

What's your weight?

I pump my Vredesteins to 60F and 70R (@130lbs)
110 and 130 seems very high.

addictR1

by addictR1

Mackers, I'm at 152lbs. veloflex sprinters are 22mm wide, so if i pump it 60/70... might be all flat by the time i'm done riding.. haha

Geoff

by Geoff

Still, you'll be much happier at lower pressure...

Shrike

by Shrike

Are you guys using acetone on the inside track when you first get your wheels? What about sanding the surface a bit, is that necessary?

sungod

by sungod

with brand new cf rims i use some 0000 grade steel wool to help remove any mould release compound from the rim bed - they can be quite tenacious - the steel wool can be wadded to match rim profile

this is a one-off with a new rim, it's not to roughen the rim bed

after that, clean paper towels to scrub with acetone or isopropyl alcohol (i prefer this as it doesn't flash off so fast) to remove dust, finger grease etc.

Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks sungod, will go with that :D

addictR1

by addictR1

What's the lowest psi I can run on my Veloflex 23mm without risk getting a flat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sungod

by sungod

it's not risk of a flat i would worry about, it's rim damage if you hit a hole/edge in the road on skinny tyres at low pressure

too low and the tyre deforms more which is less efficient, and it can feel a bit squishy/squirmy

i'm 77-80kg, 23mm carbons i usually ride around 6 bar, higher if i know the route has a good surface

addictR1

by addictR1

Thanks sungod!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

Hypothetical here.

Lets say you've got a tubulars stretching on a rim at the moment. Maybe tonight you'd want to try the rim out around the block. No glue or anything on it, just a fully inflated tubular on the rim. Seems tight.

Would a person survive such a thing :P

Really want to try this rim out this evening - sooo windy today. Just to see how it handles (58mm) and will be a week until they're all set up properly (rear wheel hasn't arrived yet.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Don't corner if you like your teeth....
Using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

Hah, alright so super gentle on the corners and should be okay. Well, that's what I want to believe anyway.

If you don't hear from me again.

You know what happened ;P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

I have actually seen that tried...once. It was just messing-around in the infield at Nationals. Someone (who will go nameless), decided to 'test' whether you could ride an unglued tubular (front). You cannot. Don't do it.

@addictR1, at 150ish, you can very safely run 100/110ish in the dry, and 90/100ish in the wet. If you are running super-deep carbon wheels (I mean the rim bed sidewalls, not just the overall rim depth, like Hed Stingers, or something), then you should run the 25s on the rear, to avoid pinch-flats without sacrificing ride comfort and adding rolling resistance caused by running the rear so hard.