Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Bantamben

by Bantamben

Here's the real deal on tubulars

I've tried tufo tape works good but much prefer the vittoria mastic. Forget what everyone tells you about glueing tires over multiple days. I ride tubulars every week never have a problem with them being loose there always glued solid. I just do it the way vittoria says on the package of there tires.

I clean rim with a little paint thinner or acetone or miner spirits one wipe real quick. If the rims are brand new I would also take a scrotchbrite or 500 sandpaper and kinda hit the bed a little real quick. I then add a layer of glue to the rim using vittoria mastic I reccomend the little tubes there like 3 dollars and I can Definately get at least 1 tire per tube done. I use the small flux brushes used in plumbing. there like 30 cents at every hardware store. Then inflate your tire wipe off the tire with the same mineral spirits quick then dry off with clean side. I then apply a layer of glue to the tire.

Vittoria mastik dries to touch fast so by the time your done doing tire the rim is dry I apply another layer to the rim and mount tire Imediately. It helps to let all air out. Vittoria evo cx is what I use and they are easy to mount I don't even ever pre stretch them. Once they are centered on rim I inflate to 120 psi and go for a short ride like just a couple minutes. Just riding straight no quick turns.

Vittoria reccomends 24 hours after mounting to ride, which I usually wait. But I've also gone out Imediately. You'll agree once you've taken your spare tubular mounted it even though its totally dry and you pump it up to get you home after a flat trying to rip off that spare you realize that glue bonds its crazy.

Bantamben

by Bantamben

Btw I'd avoid continentals only because the material they use does not stretch well and is very hard to mount. Although my go to spare I carry in my little tubular bag Is an old conti 4000 basically for the same reason I know when it goes on once its pumped up its tight. I've even given it to a friend with a clincher when we where 40 miles from home and he blew out his clincher tire. We threw it on blew it up and he road it for two weeks,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

afaik the point of doing 2-3 thin coats on the rim over a few days is that it appears to reduce crr vs. the one coat method

i recall seeing postings about crr test between the two methods, if you search you can probably find it, not sure all of it was on ww or just a link to it from the main tubs thread

as for conti tubs, i think the main reason to avoid them is they're stiff like clinchers, the ride quality and crr is not as good as a nice veloflex/vittoria/etc.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I use MastikOne also.. I used to do a few layers. And wait a lot in between.. Now.. One coat, over up too 2-3 layers of old glue ( only clean a rim after a few tires ) one on the tire, give em a couple of hours to dry.. Under the 1000w halos I have in the garage if I'm in a hurry.
One more coat on the rim and mount it.. Center at around 20psi and then pump to 60-80 psi.. A wee ride around the carpark and then 80psi until the morning then it's riding pressure and off we go..
I only use aged velos I shoot for around 1 year on the tires. Once the rears go through the tread or square off and they go In the bin. I've been running tubbies for 3 years, I don't even own a set of clincher rims.. ;)

Geoff

by Geoff

There are lots of diffent ways to glue-up tires. Putting 4 or 5 layers of Mastik 1 down on the rim and more on the basetape is just the way that I (and lots of others) were taught to do it. I have had great success with that method and will continue to do it that way (and will advise others to do so, as well). Having said that, I do not believe it safe to try to ride a tire that was just glued. Nor would I suggest that trying to ride a tubular tire on a clincher rim is safe (for 2 weeks :roll: ).

A great man once said 'you can drive your car with your feet if you want to, just because you can doesn't make it a good idea'. I would suggest to anyone new to tubulars that the same 'rule' applies. I know a guy who puts the tires on first, then 'pumps' the glue under the tire. Just because he has not had a dramatic 'off' (yet), docent mean everyone should do it that way.

Stretch your tires before you try to mount them. Put glue down in several, thin, even layers on a clean rim (no need to 'sand' them) and the basetape over a period of days. Can you 'get away' with shortcuts? Probably, but if you want the confidence to dive into a corner inside a bunch of other guys in a crit, or across a lumpy, off-camber corner on a storming descent it will probably help you to know at you have done everything possible to ensure your safety and the safety of those around you.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

The least you should do is stick to the manufacturer's recommendations. So amen to Geoff. Anything else is either bullshit or just plain dangerous.

Cutting corners is never an option. Be that safety wise or performance wise.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I glue by puting a layer of glue down on the rim and the tub and leave overnight then apply another layer of glue the next day and mount the tyre when that layer has gone a bit tacky. Leave for 24Hrs and ride.

Did my first ride 126miles on vittoria Pave tyres 24mm front and 27 mm (25.5mm really) on the rear and wow this tyres are great. So comfortable.

I am really enoying tubulars at present.

Geoff

by Geoff

Vittoria Pave are nice, for sure. Good job!

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

bm0p700f wrote:I glue by puting a layer of glue down on the rim and the tub and leave overnight then apply another layer of glue the next day and mount the tyre when that layer has gone a bit tacky. Leave for 24Hrs and ride.

Bingo 3 layers of glue that's it.
1 on rim
1 on tire
wait 1 day
1 on rim
put on tubular
done :thumbup:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Bingo 3 layers of glue that's it.

Totally meaningless without proper qualifiers, really.

The least anyone should do is to carefully read the rim cement manufacturer's instructions and probably, the rim manufacturer's instructions as well. All else is plain common sense as opposed to the rocket science some try to turn in it into.

Ciao, ;)

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

That is what it says on the Vittoria tubular instructions minus waiting around 1 day before putting the tubular on the rim.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Sure, it's fine for a used rim that already has a few layers on the rim bed. For a brand new (or totally clean) rim however I'd advise to put on a couple of thin layers extra on the rim bed and let these harden prior to following Vittoria's instructions.

Ciao, ;)

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

On a new aluminum rim I have done it with 3 layers and it was fine.

Proper curing time for the glue is the key.

A ton of layers is just wasting glue and there is a greater possibility of it not drying like it should.

That is the main reason of failures where the tubular comes off.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Fine is not good enough for some of us.

Proper curing time for the glue is the key.

As said in the post above.

A ton of layers is just wasting glue and there is a greater possibility of it not drying like it should.

A ton, yes.

I'm sure you know all about it.

Grazie mille, ;)

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Fine is not good enough for some of us.

I'm sure you know all about it.

Grazie mille, ;)

I've never had a tubular that I glued come off. So what's your point.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com