Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

My point is that you're once again making claims based on whatever your own single personal experience is and pass it of as being the universal truth.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

And that is what most responses are on this forum a collection single person experiences unless backed by a study (which can be disproved at some point) or measured factual data.

I have posted my findings on what has worked for me and you have posted your finding on what worked for you but the difference here is you inherently impose your findings on others and take your findings to be "universally truthful".

I don't do that but you do,

Unfortunately some people get a very large head and become self professed tubbie gurus: you not me that is.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

And that is what most responses are on this forum a collection single person experiences unless backed by a study (which can be disproved at some point) or measured factual data.

That is your personal assumption.
The method as described for use on a "fresh" rim is based on what has been used by cyclists (both local and international), mechanics and established bike shops for several decades, literature, etc.
IOW, it is a universally accepted method. One that is found to be safe and sound and not just a single person's single experience.
As such it has nothing to do with "my" findings but has everything to do with the safety of all users.

Ciao, ;)

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Come on Stella you been here long enough to know fdegroves word is law ;)

Geoff

by Geoff

Whoa. A bit of a flood happens and I miss the only tubular blow-up.

Is it ok to simply follow the manufacturer's instruction? Of course it is. That doesn't mean that simply following the manufacturer's instructions results in the perfect glue bond. The gluing Proceedure that I personally recommend (including the instalation of tires using many, thin, even layers of glue over a period of days) is not just my experience, it represents many decades of experience. The fact that guys on this Board all around the world do exactly the same thing (and have been doing it long before there was an Internet) is clear evidence of that.

I, for one, will continue to encourage people to try tubular tires, even if they don't want to follow my advice.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

The main issue here is that certain people here being like a sort of tubular police.
I do have a problem when some people hijack your response and tell you that their way is the only approved way.

I have no problem with others putting many layers of glue on or wait x amount of time to glue on the tubular.
I have no problem with others following what they were doing decades ago.

Pro mechanics do not glue tires with many layers or wait around days to glue tires. They glue hundreds of tires a year.
for their team and I'm pretty sure they do not put their riders in danger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0M2Q4hOo0U

Best thing to do is follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer on the particular glue you are using.
I have stated this before glue it the way you want but don't be a jack ass and start patrolling other peoples responses.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

The main issue here is that certain people here being like a sort of tubular police.

Nobody is policing anybody.
Some of us actually do care about your safety, the group you ride with and so forth.

Want to cut corners? Want to be that obnoxious New Yorker that thinks he knows a thing ?
Well, it's going to be your problem and will also be your responsibility.

My concern is the well being of everyone, you OTOH seem to be more concerned about your little ego.

That, and only that is your contribution to the forum and that, young man, is a shame.

There are no corners to be cut when it comes to gluing tubs. Period.

And yes, you seem to have a lot of problems accepting some views. Let me know if I can help you.

Ciao, ;)

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Can we get this back on track?

Thanks gents.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

stella-azzurra wrote:Pro mechanics do not glue tires with many layers or wait around days to glue tires. They glue hundreds of tires a year.
for their team and I'm pretty sure they do not put their riders in danger.

Yes but pro mechanics also reglue or change the tubulars very often.

I reglue them maximum once a year and sometimes never, the tubie only goes out when it's ready to trash it, on occasions I "retouch" the gluejob but not reset the full thing.

My method ?

One generous layer of glue on a new rim, let it fully dry.

Then at each reglue, one layer more on rim, one on tubie, let dry for 10 minutes.

one fresh layer more on rim, wait some seconds and then set.

I don't remove the old glue unless it is really messy.
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

sungod

by sungod

from AFM's testing...

Notes on Tubular Gluing:
In late 2007 I discovered evidence that the gluing method I had been using to test tubular tires was not producing optimum Crr results.
I had been using 2 coats of Continental glue on my Reflex test rim with no glue on the tire. This seemed to secure the tire adequately but this was not the case.
The use of less glue seemed in line with improving the Crr of tubulars by reducing the thickness of the "compliant glue layer."
It seems now more important to achieve a ~ 100% bond to the base tape - the light gluing I initially used must have allowed some slipping resulting in higher Crr.
The test in 2007 was on a Vittoria Crono mounted on a Sub 9 disc using 3 coats of Mastik 1 glue on the rim and 2 coats on the tire (~ 2 tubes of glue per wheel).
The tire tested out at a very low Crr, significantly lower than the first test with light Continental gluing. I have repeated the test on several Cronos with similar results.
Additionally I have tested other tires with "the same" gluing processes and have seen similar and better results as compared to the light gluing tests.
Rev 8 adds those results plus identifies the glue process. I would estimate that the Crr lightly glued tires might improve by ~ 0.0003 - 0.0004 when properly glued.

in summary, 3 coats on the rim gives better performance

thprice

by thprice

I'm sure these papers by C. S. Howat on TUBULAR TIRES: ADHESIVES AND PRACTICE has been referenced before:

http://www.engr.ku.edu/~kuktl/bicycle/bicycle.html

IMO some of the more informative articles on mounting tubulars.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Good stuff thank you thprice.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

I'm putting a set of tubs together now, so I'm thinking about the roadside puncture scenario. I'll be taking along a spare tyre of course, and I'll probably want a spot of sealant with me as a last line of defence; at least initially.

My question is about the pump - the screw on hose my current pump has a nasty habit of taking removable valves away with it which can be a bit disheartening after 200 odd strokes. Are there any tricks to avoid this or is it new pump time?

thprice

by thprice

Zakalwe wrote:...the screw on hose my current pump has a nasty habit of taking removable valves away with it ...

Pressure needs to be removed from the hose before it is unscrewed:
  • Not sure how reliable this is... after inflating, unscrew the hose from the pump before hose from valve,
  • If your pump is from Lezyne, you can purchase a replacement hose with ABS (http://www.lezyne.com/en/abs),
  • Else it may be new pump time.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

I do have a Lezyne, though its the CFH that takes CO2 bottles and therefore lacks the ABS. Of course, I never actually bother to take CO2 with me in real life so that's all a bit pointless, but I digress. I hadn't realised that you could by the ABS hose separately, that could be the perfect solution - presuming it fits the pump I have. Many thanks for pointing that out.

Also, I have tried removing the pump from the hose as a way to release the pressure - usually doesn't work in case anyone else thinks about trying it. Air just leaks out slowly while you scramble to unscrew the hose from the valve.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com