Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
rorz

by rorz

I have just bought a pair of zipp 202 tubs and am wondering what tubular tyre people carry as a spare? I searched and a couple of years ago people were saying a tufo track tub, as it folds up very small, is this still the best to use?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dntong

by dntong

dntong wrote:I'm about to glue my first tubulars, Bora One 50 wrapped in Veloflex Arenbergs, wish me luck

just an update, gluing was so very easy!!! I used the new Magic Mastik glue, and combined that without having to deal with spoke holes, I don't know why i didn't get them sooner. I have only gotten in 2 rides on them, but they have felt fantastic. I also changed to a Campy Record groupset at the same time, first Campy group for me, and those have felt great as well.

My only perceived nervousness now, is getting my first tubular flat. I'm carrying PitStop, and a spare, so I'm prepared.

I'm also worried that, since I only ride about once a week, the tires deflate, then need to be pumped again. Is that bad for the glue adhesion? Will it weaken doing this multiple times?

@rorz, I'm using a tufo s3 lite 19mm as my spare, although in hindsight I should have gotten the 21mm version. When I was pre-stretching the tufo, it did not cover the entire rim, so I'll need to be careful if I ever put on the spare and take corners, as i will probably be on the rim.

Geoff

by Geoff

@dntong, congrats! There is a big difference between tubulars and everything else. It isn't difficulty, you just need to be patient. With respect to air loss from latex tubes, that is no problem. If done properly initially, the glue job will be fine.

@ror2, I have never been a fan of using a track tire just because it is light. I have habitually used an old tubular that I had previously removed. That way, there is no need to stretch the spare, etc. If you don't have a used tire, any training tubular will do.

muntos

by muntos

Hi guys, I just moved to tubulars and I got a pair of Continental Competition 25mm that have specified pressure range of 8-12 atm. My first ride was with 7 atm and felt great so I would not want to increase it, is this safe, might be any problems ? I weight around 81kg...

Ste_S

by Ste_S

Recommend be me-do some tubulars
Dry weather only, UK roads, 10 miles of each ride will be on glass strewn city streets, rest ridden on country lanes.
Vittoria Corsas (pre G+) ridden purely on city streets lasted <500miles and died due to glass cuts.

So essentially, tubs that are reasonably resistant to glass cuts.
Veloflex Arenberg/Roubaix ?
Vittoria Pave or new Corsa G+ ?
I'll run Conti Comps or Schwalbe Ones' only if I have too...

Also, emergency sealant recommendation ? Been there, failed that with Vittoria Pit Stop

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You know... I normally ride Veloflex, but in the yucky wet weather this year I've been on Conti Comps 25mm and really like them. For whatever reason the rubber compound and "dot" tread just seems to give me more confidence that it's sticking as best as any tire could in the rain. And the base tape doesn't seem to separate at the edges as easily either. I do carry a Veloflex spare, however... Only because the thought of having to mount a Conti Comp (even used and prestretched) in the cold and wet makes my hands hurt. I use Orange Seal as a sealant but wait till I puncture to use it. I had no luck with Pit Stop either. I like to pour about 15ml of sealant into a punctured tire then rotate it so that it flows to the hole (if you know where it is) then pump up by hand (Lezyne Road Drive).
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Zoro

by Zoro

Ste_S wrote:Recommend be me-do some tubulars
Dry weather only, UK roads, 10 miles of each ride will be on glass strewn city streets, rest ridden on country lanes.
Vittoria Corsas (pre G+) ridden purely on city streets lasted <500miles and died due to glass cuts.

So essentially, tubs that are reasonably resistant to glass cuts.
Veloflex Arenberg/Roubaix ?
Vittoria Pave or new Corsa G+ ?
I'll run Conti Comps or Schwalbe Ones' only if I have too...

Also, emergency sealant recommendation ? Been there, failed that with Vittoria Pit Stop

"Dry weather only, UK roads"? Not the UK I've visited.

Those are some great tires - Veloflex ride best of those IMO. A true Roubaix tire will handle bumps, rocks better, but the casing may still be light for things like glass.
For glass the casing is more important. Good riding, but likely the poorest of your list.
http://www.continental-tires.com/bicycl ... -gatorskin in 25
http://www.continental-tires.com/bicycl ... s2-tubular

OR
Go cheap eBay whatever is on sale and deal with replacing after flats.

Sealant - I've hear great things about the Orange stuff and have not used it. We use Stans, it works great but is a pain to use on the road as it wants the valve out (not a requirement).
I *think* the Contis are all butyl tubes. Our GP4000s are and I think coach's Gators are. They make their own sealant Conti RevoSealant, we just use Stans. I expect all sealants work better on Latex tubes.

perwjensen

by perwjensen

Thanks all for this thread. I decided to go with carbon tubular, to reduce risk of rim failure, and put on some conti comps. I first ran them at 120psi and did't enjoy that much, then went to 80F/90R psi and can fully enjoy my rides.

muntos

by muntos

perwjensen wrote:Thanks all for this thread. I decided to go with carbon tubular, to reduce risk of rim failure, and put on some conti comps. I first ran them at 120psi and did't enjoy that much, then went to 80F/90R psi and can fully enjoy my rides.

What width?

PLuKE

by PLuKE

I will be making the switch from clincher to a tubular this month when I get my 404's

I have been using Schwable One 23c with Vittoria latex tubes, which have felt great.

What is a good tub to use, light, low CRR and little protection, IE like the Schwables clinchers I have been using, I have seen the Conti Comp's on Wiggle?

Thanks
Luke

Geoff

by Geoff

@muntos, I think that 100 psi is pretty fair for a person of your size. With a larger volume tire like that, you could probably go lower, too.
@PLuKE, I still find the Conti Comp a pretty fair tire for all-around use. Ok, it is not a beautiful, hand-made tire like a Dugast or FMB, but it is very serviceable.

muntos

by muntos

Geoff wrote:@muntos, I think that 100 psi is pretty fair for a person of your size. With a larger volume tire like that, you could probably go lower, too.

Thanks but 7 atm is lower that the minimum pressure indicated (also on their site: http://www.continental-tires.com/bicycl ... ompetition ), 115PSI or almost 8 atm.
It would be ok ?

Geoff

by Geoff

7 bar is roughly 100 psi. That is more than enough in a 25mm tire for a guy who weighs 81kg.

stormur

by stormur

being 93kg last time F6.5 R7.5 on 25mm Vittoria Pave, and found it... harsh :shock: 6/7 worked better for my bones.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Correct, point being that 7 bar is not too little pressure. You can certainly run a high-volume tubular with lower pressure. Depending on the rims you are running, 5.5 to 6 bar can be perfectly reasonable.