Wheel debates; Opinions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

stang1 wrote:I've worked out my options:

1) Quotes from wheelbuilding from USA, 3.4 ses with CK hubs, after tax and import duties, it'll cost me 3.5k AUD

2) Mavic CCU is 3.5k AUD after tax and imports from CRC.

Supposedly, both are excellent choices, toss a coin? :shock:

You could always save a few bucks on the Enve build and go with White Industries T11 hubs instead. The total cost of that build would be under 2.5k AUD, and it would be similar quality to the Kings. The only downside would be the slight weight gain of 30 grams or so.

angrylegs

by angrylegs

stang1 wrote:I've worked out my options:

1) Quotes from wheelbuilding from USA, 3.4 ses with CK hubs, after tax and import duties, it'll cost me 3.5k AUD

2) Mavic CCU is 3.5k AUD after tax and imports from CRC.

Supposedly, both are excellent choices, toss a coin? :shock:

No, that's an easy choice. #1. Imho anyway. I also agree that it does not have to be CK hubs. You could go with other hubs and still get an amazing wheel set.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

I don't know who you contacted, but know that Enve insists you purchase their goods from local distributor. It's part of the Enve dealer agreement. I don't know what that will do for your warranty.

stang1

by stang1

ergott wrote:I don't know who you contacted, but know that Enve insists you purchase their goods from local distributor. It's part of the Enve dealer agreement. I don't know what that will do for your warranty.

The aussie dealer here is charging me 1000$ more than quoted from USA with same specs. Mind you, after shipping and tax, its around 600$ cheaper to buy from Overseas. I forgot to mention that the cost difference of 1000$ actually includes some aftermarket ceramic bearings which I asked for, which is around 300$ for the set of wheels, which again in aussie, pricing excludes any upgrades. 900$ saved from overseas can go to other stuff, cleats, gels, tubs etc. If I do crash and crack it, I have bicycle insurance to cover (yes, I insure my bikes which isnt included in home and contents insurance) . Thanks for your concern, but Aussie dealers better pucker up and learn to lower thier so called RRP/pricing.

Dunt get me wrong, bought my 2 high end bicycles from LBS and many other stuff from my lbs, but some stuff its not worth buying locally. I did ask if he could do a special deal, I did ask if he could lower the price, but he just wouldn't budge his price, so there's just a lost sale.

Example of a recent purchase;

BORA ULTRA 2's.
:shock:
( http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bike_acc ... /102095530 )
( http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bike_acc ... /102145579 )
( http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bike_acc ... /102136686 )

lbs showed me the price from supplier without GST - 3.2K, add another 10% - you get my drift.

So I was adviced by my lbs to just save some money and get it online. If i do damage my wheels, thats what my Insurance is for :lol:

OwenJames

by OwenJames

I would go with the Mavics based on personal experience.

I have CCSR and they are bomb proof.

notsoswift

by notsoswift

I go the Enve
Buy the rim locally and get wheel built locally

Enve will be worth more if you sell them as well ;)