All Around Clinchers- DA, Stans, or something else?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

NealH wrote:I have two sets of DA C24 wheels (7850 series) and they are superb...

I am also in this camp, kind of...

Have DA-7900-C24 tubeless for the last 18 months or so. Prior to that, DA-7850-C50-clinchers. I weigh in the 185 pound range and never had a problem with either one of these. The tubeless ride a little more comfortable (totally subjective opinion), went 3000 miles without flatting, and of course the C50s blew around some when it was windy. If I wasn't going to build up some relatively cheap chinese carbon clinchers as my next new wheel, I'd be planning to upgrade to 11-speed with the DA 9000 series as best-reliable-value purposes.
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

plpete

by plpete

KWalker wrote:
Wadl wrote:
KWalker wrote:You guys are both wrong: http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/05/31/201 ... r-options/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The rims are all wider, but you're right in that the 24's don't get Optibal, however, the wide rim is nice.

"Across the range, they’ve made the rims wider for better comfort and performance."

"They also used offset spoke holes on the rims, so spoke triangulation actually improves without any frame clearance issues. The OptBal 2:1 lacing uses this to give balanced overall tension between the two sides of the wheel – non-drive spokes are pulling twice as hard, but there’s half as many of them.

I have access to the ShimanoTec site as I'm certified by them to the highest level. Everything internally

The new rims are called D2 and are 23mm or 24mm wide depending on the wheel model. They also gave them a deeper tire bed so the tire sits more flush with the sidewall and there’s no gap on the clinchers"

Well, don't get me wrong, I would really like if they were 23mm wide but your link is from may 2012... the shimano web side as been update only a few weeks ago... and they state that the c24 rim is 20.8mm... :(

It would be interesting to have someone mesure it !! if they are 23, well... dang.. I want a set !! LOL

I have access to the ShimanoTec site as I'm certified by them to the highest level. Everything internally says 23mm, their EP site says 23mm, and since their material used to train employees that sell their products says 23mm I'm sticking with that until I see calipers that prove otherwise.

You may be right, however, I find it a bit odd as to why Shimano would provide different technical data to their technicians and different data to their customers on their own site Shimano page link. It doesn't make much sense :noidea: I smell a "23mm conspiracy" and I want that highest level pass :lol:

giro di lento

by giro di lento

I'm considering a pair of the new Zipp 30s for my next set of wheels. I had been consider the DA CL24 but I think the new Zipps look like they should be a decent everyday wheelset http://zipp.com/wheels/30-clincher/
My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

The Zipp 30s are way overpriced for what they are. Much better options. They are basically a progression of the old Sram S30 line that was moved to the Zipp name to jack up the price.

giro di lento

by giro di lento

@NWSAlpine - I'd be interested to know on what basis you feel that about the 30s? Do you have some info you can share?

I've only found one ride report so far and I thought it was pretty interesting: http://redkiteprayer.com/2013/02/zipp-30-first-impressions/

It might be of interest to the OP as he has already been running Zipps.

sawyer

by sawyer

giro di lento wrote:@NWSAlpine - I'd be interested to know on what basis you feel that about the 30s? Do you have some info you can share?

I've only found one ride report so far and I thought it was pretty interesting: http://redkiteprayer.com/2013/02/zipp-30-first-impressions/

It might be of interest to the OP as he has already been running Zipps.

£675 for a set of Zipp 30s according to Bikeradar

1655g claimed (though 101s came in over from what I've seen)

Aerodynamics will be worse than 101s which are decent, but not spectacular.

Hub is inferior to standard Zipp hubs.

Sure the ride is good looking at them. But it doesn't look like a great deal otherwise IMO
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

giro di lento

by giro di lento

@Sawyer, Ok I appreciate I'm on my own on this one but the Zipps are £100 less than the DA C24's at normal retail and whilst I'm sure the DA hubs are better, I would imagine the Zipps are more aero for their extra weight. I'm just trying to provide another option that also may offer some aero benefits and will probably be fairly strong.

I'm personally looking for some alloy aero wheels for my next set - ideally ones that might well have seen a wind tunnel or a CFD simulation... these are on my short list. Perhaps I'll be their only customer although I do concede they are fair from a Weightweenie choice :wink:

Good luck to the OP in his search.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

You could check out Flo Cycling's new alloy wheels....should be pretty aero (but heavy)

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

giro di lento wrote:@Sawyer, Ok I appreciate I'm on my own on this one but the Zipps are £100 less than the DA C24's at normal retail and whilst I'm sure the DA hubs are better, I would imagine the Zipps are more aero for their extra weight. I'm just trying to provide another option that also may offer some aero benefits and will probably be fairly strong.

I'm personally looking for some alloy aero wheels for my next set - ideally ones that might well have seen a wind tunnel or a CFD simulation... these are on my short list. Perhaps I'll be their only customer although I do concede they are fair from a Weightweenie choice :wink:

The rims used on the Zipp 30 isn't like the aero 101. The hubs are nothing special and they are low spoke wheels that are heavy. Personally I would still not consider them even at $500.

You would be better off with a cheaper/lighter/more durable/more aero/better riding set of custom rims. You could select from Kinlin XC279(BHS c472w), H+ Son Archetype, Pacenti SL23, HED C2, etc. Build any of those rims with a nice set of hubs and spokes and it would still be cheaper.

sawyer

by sawyer

giro di lento wrote:@Sawyer, Ok I appreciate I'm on my own on this one but the Zipps are £100 less than the DA C24's at normal retail and whilst I'm sure the DA hubs are better, I would imagine the Zipps are more aero for their extra weight. I'm just trying to provide another option that also may offer some aero benefits and will probably be fairly strong.

Guess the question is what can you get them at rather than the full retail.

You're right I expect that the Zipps will be more aero due to rimshape, but i'd expect it to be very marginal looking at the data for 101s and other similar low pro clinchers. We're talking a couple of watts at speed.

With that in mind, I'd take the DA hubs and significantly lighter rims, and I'm a Zipp fan!

Edit: @giro - I've just read that review you linked to and while no doubt well-intended, it is frankly laughable.

KLabs

by KLabs

KLabs wrote:Hi OP, you could have a look at the Pro-Lite Bracciano Wheelset. This is an example ...
http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=19
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29086

What do you think of these ... they won a shootout with a 15 other wheels in 2010, one of those being Fulcrum Zeros :)

Burgunder

by Burgunder

It should be remembered that the C24 wheels are actually very aero, as some test by RA I think, has showed.

KWalker

by KWalker

Another tick for the C24 box is that the rim weight is 60-70g less than competitors. I see no reason to upgrade to rims of an equal weight and build of equal weight because if that was the goal I'd just keep what I have.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Burgunder wrote:It should be remembered that the C24 wheels are actually very aero, as some test by RA I think, has showed.

Believe those test refer to the C24 tubular. That being said, the clincher is no ksyrium in the wind tunnel, for sure.

sawyer

by sawyer

repeat post

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com