rate this kinlin build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

davidalone

by davidalone

about to take the plunge to build my first wheel. an wheel gurus can rate this rear wheel build?
the hub is not a hub I dont think many will be familiar with, so here goes:
Rider profile:
weight: 66kg
use: all round training/racing

rim: Kinlin XR300 24h,
ERD: 577
wall thickness: 1.9
outerbrake track: 19mm
weight:465g

hub: Pro lite merano hub
axle widh: 131mm
flange diameter: 52mm ( same for both DS and NDS)
DS lock nut to flange: 47mm
NDS lockut to flange: 28mm
weight:290g

spokes: either sapim laser or DT competition ( may consider CX rays.)
DS 279mm
NDS 281mm
lacing:2x on both sides

total weight estd 900g or thereabouts. may be slightly more depending on spoke choice.

whats you guys opinion on such a build? sufficiently stiff? I know i's not exactly a weight weenie build, but I'm working on a tight budget here.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I'd go with the XC279 over the 300. It is a bit more aero and has a much better ride quality. Soo much more versatile than the 300.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Liggero

by Liggero

for a tight budget, i would go for a bikehubstore . com build, with light cheap hubs and sapim spokes
Happy Trails !!!

eric

by eric

The XC279 is good, but I could see using a narrow rim to match a simlar width front rim. In which case the XR270 is probably the best bet, although the 300 is fine too.

I'd use thicker Race spokes on the DS at least, to stiffen the wheel. Skip CXrays if you're trying to save money. The rear wheel is drafting the frame so aero parts matter less. Race spokes add about 1g/spoke over Lasers/CXrays.

splunk

by splunk

Laser spokes will work fine. I built mine up with kinlin 200 rims and lasers for the commuter and no issues at all. I am 70kg (not including backpack).

engi

by engi

eric wrote:The XC279 is good, but I could see using a narrow rim to match a simlar width front rim. In which case the XR270 is probably the best bet, although the 300 is fine too.

Aside from "matching", given that this is the rear wheel, wouldn't a wider rim provide a smoother ride, especially right under your butt?

mentok

by mentok

you've named 3 completely different spokes: the comps (2/1.8/2, sapim equiv is the race), the lasers (1.8/1.5/1.8 dt equiv is the revo) and the cxrays. of the 3, i'd discount the cxrays for budgetary reasons (these are training wheels). the comp/race would be easiest to build as they suffer much less wind-up during the build than the laser/revo but at your weight you could certainly get away with the lasers. the weight difference is marginal, but every gram counts i guess and you shouldn't be creating any problems for yourself choosing them. assuming you're confident in your abilities, i'd take the punt and go for the lasers.

eric

by eric

engi wrote:
Aside from "matching", given that this is the rear wheel, wouldn't a wider rim provide a smoother ride, especially right under your butt?

Some people claim that but I haven't noticed it with my XC279 wheels. I think you'd have to run significantly lower tire pressures on those wider rims in order to get a smoother ride. The wider rim alone doesn't do it.

By matching I don't mean looks, I mean tire profile, which would affect handling. I've run a wide rear and regular width front and it seemed ok to me but someone else might think differently.

engi

by engi

eric wrote:
engi wrote:

Some people claim that but I haven't noticed it with my XC279 wheels. I think you'd have to run significantly lower tire pressures on those wider rims in order to get a smoother ride. The wider rim alone doesn't do it.

By matching I don't mean looks, I mean tire profile, which would affect handling. I've run a wide rear and regular width front and it seemed ok to me but someone else might think differently.

Yeah, the tire pressure would need to be lower, but I'm not sure you'd need to go too low either. I swapped a 19mm rim for a the XC279 at the front, dropped the pressure from 110 to 95 and have noticed some improvement in comfort, using the 25mm GP4000s. I'm running a 20.5mm DT Swiss RR1.1 in the back with no handling ill effects, FWIW.

davidalone

by davidalone

Decided on the DT comps since sapims are hard to get locally. the local wheel builder recommended I go with DT comps for this build so I stuck to his advice.

Total cost of build: 78 pounds.
weight: 920g w/o rim tape.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com