Fast light training wheels.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Very creative usename. Nothing wrong with the ultegra/OP combo. However I think there are better rims out there.

Reasons;
Most of the Open Pro's I have had have been a fair bit heavier than the 425g claimed weight. The pair I have currently are 450g and I have had before at 480g each! I don't like that.
With an ultegra hub you can get away with 1100N DS side tension and have 550N NDS tension. With Campag 11 speed compatible hubs DS tension need to be higher. The Open Pro has a max recomended tension of 900N. Using these tensions is a recipie for spokes breaking or nipples loosening of. I prefer rims that can take what ever tension I deem necessary.

Spoke tension variation on the OP rim is a bit higher than that on wheels build with Velocity of DT Swiss rims. I like the tensions to be as even as possible especially when build a 11 speed compatible wheel as NDS tension are never that high. With the OP I have had to relax the tight radial lateral true standards I have abit to get accepatbly even tension. The join on the OP is also not that smooth.

The braking surfae on the OP is quite thin therefore with the wrong pads they can wear out quite quickly. Given the grinding paste in the U.K during winter it is not my first choice.

The Velocity A23 seems to happy with the tensions required to build a 11 speed wheel. There will also be off centre version of this rim to help tension balance for 11 speed wheels. The braking surface is much thicker and it weighs less than the OP's I have have. Given the width of the A23 it is quite stiff for the weight.
The H+ sons offering given its depth and width is a bit stiffer still. It has not been arround long enough to prove itself but it has the makings of a durable rim.

So while the OP is not a bad rim for the price (it is one of the cheapest lightish rims available after all), if you are willing to spend a little bit more there are quite simply high quality rims avaialble in whatever drillings you like.

I think that sums it up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

civdic

by civdic

I'm around the same weight as the OP. Maybe a bit heavier. I ride Dura Ace C35 in the winter months They come in around the 1300g mark. Vey reliable and have a bit of the aero effect along with aluminum brake tracks. The 10 spd. versions can be found on sale now since the 11 speeds are soon to take over.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I built up a set of Alchemy hubs, Sapin CX ray spokes and Kinlin XR300 rims and the set weighed 1,509 gms with 32 spokes f/r.
I gotta say, at the same basic weight you are, having a higher spoke count on an every day wheelset is comforting.
The hubs are ridiculously smooth and their design seems to result in lots of lateral stiffness. (Compared to builds with Campy Record, Mavic and other hubs I have.)
I am not riding much else these days and gladly give up over 150 grams from other clincher sets to use these - sacrilege, I know.
You could probably build a set with lower spoke count to save a few grams and still have a very solid and faithful wheelset.

sawyer

by sawyer

If you ride Shimano/SRAM then DA24s - 1440g ish with rim tape installed.

If you ride Campagnolo then Zondas - 1530g ish, no
rim tape needed.

Nice hubs, aero spokes, low spoke count, durable.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Christ on a crutch!

My training setup is HED Belgiums laced to Bitex hubs (24/24) with Sapim lasers on the front and NDS and Sapim race on the DS. Brass nipples. Setup with stans tape is 1420 grams and my 23c tires are wider than my buddy on his A23 build. Total investment in my build is ~$350 :)

wasabi1

by wasabi1

Get something heavy. Good for the legs!

Khamsin at 1800 odd grams are my training wheels.

gilesharrison

by gilesharrison

I agree. Go heavy for training. I'm on Shimano RS20. I'd weigh them but they'd probably break my scales.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Great suggestions here, really appreciate them! May have forgot to mention that I'm running Campy 11sp.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Thanks for your reply bm0p700f, much appreciated :beerchug:

whats stopping the OP from building up a set of Kinlin XR-200s 32/3x to some lightish hubs?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

verycreativeusername wrote:Thanks for your reply bm0p700f, much appreciated :beerchug:

whats stopping the OP from building up a set of Kinlin XR-200s 32/3x to some lightish hubs?

Could be a good option. I only like using the XR200 on a hub with wide flange spacing though. May be worth waiting for the new Alchemys to come out.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Pricing on the new Alchemy hubs going to be the same as the current ELF and ORC?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Not too sure on that one. I know the overall weight of the hubset is decreasing a bit but I don't know how that will effect MSRP. Hopefully Alchemy starts releasing some information soon.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I won't lie, my Ambrosio Excellite's, NOS anodised Chorus hubs, DT Swiss Champ spokes and Veloflex Master tyres are my favourite wheelset.

32 spoke. Ride like a dream and spin so well all my mates comment on it when we're going down hill.

I've even raced on them.

Of course this is WW and the weight of them is not flattering. But I know these things are bullet proof (in addition to all the advantages above).

kavitator

by kavitator

for all kind terrin (steep dowhill....) better with more massive rim than XR-200.
Experience on very steep descent (around 20%)
hard breaking on rear, rider around 85kg -
rear tire blew off becouse of overheat- this is extreme situation

XR-300 or something similar (wider 23mm,son+ archetype, ...) - for spokes maby 28 rear and 20 or 24 front?
I dont get why spend so much money on hubs - Novatec or Bitex are just OK

Ambrosio are great yes

Life is too short to ride heavy and lazy wheelset :mrgreen: (for 1800g suggestions )

kavitator

by kavitator

from manufacturesr i am for Zondas - but rear rim is heavy at 550g (same as kinlin XR-380)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com