Switching off Campagnolo EPS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ebruner

by Ebruner

I was wondering how many EPS users turn off the system with the magnet after every ride? I have 2 bikes with EPS, and always turn them off, but I don't know if it is really doing anything for battery life. Any thoughts or experiences?

-Eddie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

What your dealer should have explained to you is that Campagnolo have an on-board diagnostic system that runs in the background all of the time that your system is swtched on - that's why it *has* an on-off switch at all. Shimano's diagnostics are external hence they don't have a switch ...

The diagnostic uses a small amount of charge each time the subroutine runs (about once every 15 -20 sec), so switching the system off between uses removes this constant but very small drain on the system.

Switching off between uses will maximise the number of shifts that you get per battery charge but you don't need to be too fanatical about it - the demo bikes that we use for training and demonstration purposes often go for a month at a time without being switched off or charged with no huge loss of charge on the battery.

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd
Main Campagnolo Service Centre, UK
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

WESTMOTORSPORTS

by WESTMOTORSPORTS

I have been using Super Record EPS v2 for over a season now. I ride 12-18hrs a week and have NEVER used the magnet band to turn my eps off. In over 8000 miles, I have charged my battery three times. Never have let it go below flashing yellow. As I have to remove my seatpost to charge my battery, that is acceptable charge durations for me.

LionelB

by LionelB

I only put it on when I plan to not use the bike EPS is on for a while.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Rarely.

Ebruner

by Ebruner

Thanks a bunch for the input. I have been using the rubber band daily to turn off. Good to know I really don't have to.

graeme_f_k - Unfortunately I live several hours from a Campagnolo dealer, and have had to wrench on my own Campagnolo drivetrains since around 1985. I had to install and figure out the EPS on my own.

Again, thanks for all those that responded.

-Eddie

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i use it every ride. one time i forgot and left it overnight, no problems the next day.

Miller

by Miller

Wonder if anyone has any advice or insight into an EPS battery drain problem.

I have just built up a bike with Athena EPS components. The shifting is fabulous, I love it already, but there is a battery drain problem. One full battery charge lasts 7 days and I have already recharged the battery three times in about 3 weeks. I was hoping this was an issue that would go away but it hasn’t. This morning I went for a ride, did a battery check first and got green light, and then found that the battery power died completely after 10 minutes and I had to go home in one gear.

It's Athena front and rear mechs, external battery v1, interface unit v1. Anyone have any clues?

ku_hi

by ku_hi

Hi,
I am facing similar problems with my Athena EPS v1 regarding battery.
I recharged system 2 months ago - maybe 500-600km made from then with bike.
Yesterday when I pull magnet and turn system on - there was solid green on interface.
After about 10km of riding suddenly interface was showing blinking red.
What I am missing here.
I turn back home, connect charger and after 2 hours charger turn off, but green was still blinking on interface.
Obviously charger did not recharge battery to 100%.
Also missing something here. :(
You only live twice

denright

by denright

Hi, I've run into this issue as well with an Athena v1 EPS system, seems to completely run out of battery very quickly. Any suggestions as to how to resolve this?

nismosr

by nismosr

I'm resurrecting the thread just to add a question about my Athena V1 Power Unit not fully charging, it did charge when I first got it, Interface turns green but it only lasted 1 half ride full 40 miles and after a week took it for another ride and battery died after 14miles. Charger is lit green, and the orange light keeps blinking and now it's not fully charging interface is just lit up to yellow instead of full green, what are the chance of maybe I have a bad charger and not the battery ? any suggestion ?
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2022 Ridley Kanzo Adv Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2022 Basso Palta 2-Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2023 Colnagno G3X-SRAM Force-Levante

Miller

by Miller

My v1 battery problem was resolved with a replacement v2 battery (sorry). Diagnosis was that the v1 battery charge level had been allowed to drop too low while sitting waiting to be sold, and that's not good for a li-ion battery.

userfriendly

by userfriendly

That sounds very much like the issue I'm having. I reckon I should contact Ribble where I got the power unit from?
Cinelli Saetta 6.5kg - nice and dry weather
Reilly T325 7.3kg - nice weather but windy
Spa Audax 9.1kg - all weather steel beauty
Pinnacle Dolomite 7.9kg - flat-pedal chainguard thing
M∆SON Definition 8.5kg - off-road ... thing

Miller

by Miller

I got my V1 battery from Ribble too! I reckon their entire remaining stock of V1 batteries is toast. To be fair, they replaced with a v2 battery without quibble and everything has been golden since. Think you will need to upgrade the DTI unit to V2 at the same time which is a pain as it means complete recabling, on the upside it adds better functionality for setting up the front der.

userfriendly

by userfriendly

Thanks. I've emailed them just now. Hoping they'll resolve this quickly, itching to get back out on it again - because EPS is pretty darn amazing when it works.
Cinelli Saetta 6.5kg - nice and dry weather
Reilly T325 7.3kg - nice weather but windy
Spa Audax 9.1kg - all weather steel beauty
Pinnacle Dolomite 7.9kg - flat-pedal chainguard thing
M∆SON Definition 8.5kg - off-road ... thing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com