Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:44 pm
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:44 pm 

I am about to get a 2016 Sworks Tarmac Expert Dura Ace bike that comes with the Roval 40 CLX wheels.
I am getting a good deal on the complete package, so my LBS advised me to sell the wheels privately rather than get a trade in for something else. I was hoping to get the Roval CLX 32 wheels that have recently been released, however I would have to buy them outright.

The reason I am looking to change the Roval CLX 40 wheels is the "old school" inside rime depth of 16.2mm.
Most of the newer rims have internal rim depths of 20mm.
I love my Hed Belgium wheels with 25 tires and 75PSI.

The new ROval 32 CLX are 20MM internal rim depth.

Even for brand new Roval 40 I don't think I could get more than $1500USD. Don't feel like spending more than $500 on an upgrade, so Enve wheels are out of the question.

Should I just keep the wheels, or look to sell them and get a new wider wheel?
The fact that Etix and TInkoff have been using the same wheels for 2016, they cant be that bad.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:44 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:53 pm 

toronto-rider wrote:
The fact that Etix and TInkoff have been using the same wheels for 2016, they cant be that bad.

Do you know that narrower rims have been used for many many years (even more than century)? :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:03 pm 

If you really want different wheels, I would tell the bike shop that's a condition of the sale. They just don't want to be bothered with selling them and are trying to pawn that task off on you. Do they want to sell a bike or not? See how willing they are to work with you. It's not a good deal if you're stuck with an extra set of wheels you never wanted, so unless you've already got a willing buyer for the wheels you don't want at a price you can live with that's what I'd do. All they can say is no, but then so can you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:31 pm 

Calnago wrote:
If you really want different wheels, I would tell the bike shop that's a condition of the sale. They just don't want to be bothered with selling them and are trying to pawn that task off on you. Do they want to sell a bike or not? See how willing they are to work with you. It's not a good deal if you're stuck with an extra set of wheels you never wanted, so unless you've already got a willing buyer for the wheels you don't want at a price you can live with that's what I'd do. All they can say is no, but then so can you.

Not that simple. With the new Dura Ace coming, I knew that there were deals on the 2016 models. Only store with the 56cm left, that is the store that I gave a deposit on the bike. My last bike was destroyed by truck in an accident, so still waiting for the insurance money on my old bike. Also will be about 2 weeks till I can ride on the road.
So in the meantime, lots of time to think.

The store has offered me a price on the wheels, but they need to make money as well, so I would be better of selling the wheels myself.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:37 pm 

martinko wrote:
toronto-rider wrote:

Do you know that narrower rims have been used for many many years (even more than century)? :)

I have been riding for 30+ years. IF you listen to the cyclingtips podcast on tire pressure - I firmly believe there is no bigger change to your riding experience than wider tires and lower tire pressure.
I have 2 road bikes. All with the same brand of tires. GP 4000.
On my one bike, narrow rims and 23mm tires at 90-100 PSI
The other bike, wide rims, 25mm tires and 70-75PSI.
World of difference. It is like riding on a carpet with the wide tires and rims (in terms of comfort)

For reference the narrow tires/rims - Look 585 Lugged carbon frame that is very comfortable and a great riding bike.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:52 pm 

Ok... yeah, it's a dilemma for sure. New Dura Ace shouldn't affect the wheels however. They just want to get rid of the bike as a whole. I understand though since it's the only store with a 56 left in town. Just take it with the wheels on it then, and use them... like you say, they're not that bad, in fact they're probably quite totally fine, just not the latest and greatest. Don't even think about the new wheels for now. And by "old school rim depth of 16.2mm", I'm thinking you meant to say old school rim "width" (internal) of 16.2mm. Whereas the norm for "old school" internal rim width was/is 15mm. And lots of the newer stuff is 17mm internal rim width. The newest Shamal Ultras for example have an internal rim width of 17mm, and fit a 25mm tire perfectly, but you could go even wider for sure if you're so inclined. Your call... but if money is an issue, just go with the wheels it has, they are fine. With an internal rim width of 20+mm, just how big a tire are you planning to use on this bike? I find that for a nice road bike, 25mm is the max I'd want to go. And the 40mm profile is a nice looking wheel as well, if that means anything to you. Me thinks you are getting sucked down the marketing drain pipe and right now you're swirling around on top of the vortex. You can swim out, or get sucked to the bottom...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:30 pm 

Calnago wrote:
Ok... yeah, it's a dilemma for sure. New Dura Ace shouldn't affect the wheels however. They just want to get rid of the bike as a whole. I understand though since it's the only store with a 56 left in town. Just take it with the wheels on it then, and use them... like you say, they're not that bad, in fact they're probably quite totally fine, just not the latest and greatest. Don't even think about the new wheels for now. And by "old school rim depth of 16.2mm", I'm thinking you meant to say old school rim "width" (internal) of 16.2mm. Whereas the norm for "old school" internal rim width was/is 15mm. And lots of the newer stuff is 17mm internal rim width. The newest Shamal Ultras for example have an internal rim width of 17mm, and fit a 25mm tire perfectly, but you could go even wider for sure if you're so inclined. Your call... but if money is an issue, just go with the wheels it has, they are fine. With an internal rim width of 20+mm, just how big a tire are you planning to use on this bike? I find that for a nice road bike, 25mm is the max I'd want to go. And the 40mm profile is a nice looking wheel as well, if that means anything to you. Me thinks you are getting sucked down the marketing drain pipe and right now you're swirling around on top of the vortex. You can swim out, or get sucked to the bottom...

Thanks Colnago. Just the answer I needed to hear. With interbike and time on my hands not riding and this being the 1st road bike since 1990 that is new and a complete bike.
All my past bikes have ben just the frame and then putting on each component.
So looking forward to not paying for service for the next 3 years.

Also in terms of carbon non disc wheels, with what is going on in the industry with discs, any non disc carbon wheels in 2 years will be worth very little. Almost like tubular wheels. Even Enve and Zipp tubular wheels are selling at deep discounts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:28 pm 

Well, I for one do not believe that in two years any non disc carbon wheel will be obsolete. Far from it. The manufacturers will be lucky if they can get the pro peloton to actually come out and say with a straight face... "Yeah, we wanted discs all along". Lol. They're not asking for them, nor do I believe they want them. It's a manufacturers marketing "push" strategy rather than a demand based "pull" that will put discs on all road bikes, if it happens at all. At the upper end of lightweight road racing bikes discs are just not a high priority, except from the standpoint of giving the manufacturers that marketing spin they are so desperately trying to achieve..."see, look at our disc brake bike that just won the Tour de France, blah blah blah".
And I don't think anyone should realistically be considering "resale" value when it comes to bicycle stuff. Get what you want now and enjoy it while it lasts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:51 am 

I think that whole wide rim thing is overstated. I must admit, that they had me convinced too. All my 7-8 wheelsets are wide externally and internally. And it's true, the cornering and riding experience is a bit better. But at the end of the day, that isn't what gives me the pleassure of riding my bike.

You have the choise between two year old wheels and brand new wheels, both carbon. And you're getting a good deal on the two year old wheels. Buy the package, ride the wheels for a couple of years, and then upgrade. Remember, that you need a new pet in two years anyway, might as well be the 32's. Or maybe a even newer model.

And 40 mm is more aero than 32 mm, so maybe the advantages just cancel eachother out.

Besides, you still have your HED training wheels.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:33 am 

Multebear wrote:
I think that whole wide rim thing is overstated. I must admit, that they had me convinced too. All my 7-8 wheelsets are wide externally and internally. And it's true, the cornering and riding experience is a bit better. But at the end of the day, that isn't what gives me the pleassure of riding my bike.

You have the choise between two year old wheels and brand new wheels, both carbon. And you're getting a good deal on the two year old wheels. Buy the package, ride the wheels for a couple of years, and then upgrade. Remember, that you need a new pet in two years anyway, might as well be the 32's. Or maybe a even newer model.

And 40 mm is more aero than 32 mm, so maybe the advantages just cancel eachother out.

Besides, you still have your HED training wheels.

Actually, Roval 32 is more aero next to Roval 40. Specialized made the splash about this. Roval 40 is narrow and far from U shape. There are slew of reports when it comes to below average performance of Roval 40. Frankly, I wouldn't even pay $1000 for this wheelset.

Aero chart viewtopic.php?t=141027

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:39 pm 

I'd keep the 40 as a backup set. You'll have carbon pads on your bike so you won't want to throw on an aluminum set if you can avoid it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:15 am 

you can get about $1100~$1200 for those on ebay, atm very few wheels have more than 16mm internal and it is considered wide compared to 13mm of old

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:50 am 

ChiZ01 wrote:
you can get about $1100~$1200 for those on ebay, atm very few wheels have more than 16mm internal and it is considered wide compared to 13mm of old

16mm inner width is 3 year old technology and 13mm inner width is 6 year old technology. As of 2016, more than a few manufacturers release wheels that are 19mm and up. Roval 40 is not all about narrow inner and outer width, it's about boxy rim profile that perform below average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:53 pm 

a zipp 303 v3 is about $1400, you get better aero and crosswind performance, however it is not much wider. 17mm internal. CLX32 might be your best bet.

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:53 pm