Removing S-Works carbon crank non-driveside arm (split axle version)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WonderSausage

by WonderSausage

Any smart ideas to remove the non-drive-side Specialized S-Works carbon crank arm?

This is the split axle version (the axle is half on the drive side, half on the non-drive side, and meets with splines halfway through the BB), NOT the self-extracting version. There are no YouTube videos or other instructions that I can find. Even the official manual only has installation, not removal.

The first time I replaced the bearings I hammered out the non drive side crank arm with a rubber mallet hitting the inside of the arm, but I fear that if I keep doing that I'm going to deform the bearing seat.

Maybe if I got a big M12 bolt, threaded it in from the drive side and hit that with the mallet? But I'm afraid of deforming the threads. Seems like no good way to do this. Suggestions appreciated.
Capture.PNG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I had a set of these before selling them after years of use. Never needed more than a firm pull or a tap with the palm of my hand to remove/install. Can you not tap it out through the bb with the long m12 for the hirth joint?
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WonderSausage

by WonderSausage

It's in there really tight, it has to be installed/uninstalled by hammering _hard_ with a rubber mallet. And I've had 3 different manufacturers of bearings so it's definitely not undersize bearings. I think I'll take a chance on buying a long M12 bolt from the hardware store and pray the threads don't get messed up by hammering on it.