FarSports 38mm Carbon Clincher Review Thread, The

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

That 3rd pic of xjbaylors is worrying, if they let that go through 'qc' then its reason alone for me to prevent pulling the trigger.

theremery

by theremery

Note to XJBailor.......they send (or a re supposed to!) an info leaflet that says where to set up your brakes on these tracks that are nice and wide. There is supposed to be a 5mm gap at the top. Yours look set "normal" (ie at the top). You should potentially confirm with Kyle re the 38mm, but it is the case with the 50mm....and then drop the pads.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

I didn't receive a leaflet, but I will give that a try as soon as I get home. Thanks!

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

I do not understand this. Farsports has a listed weight of 1250gr for the 38mm clinchers whereas Boyd has 1384gr as you say.
So chaep and light for farsports.
Did I miss a point?

That is why I said "other" cheap carbon clinchers. Sorry if that was unclear. Farsports seems, IMO, to offer the only package of price, weight and support that would convince me to send my hard earned dollars to China instead of to Boyd, Williams, etc.

jeffbong

by jeffbong

Kyle just weigh my wheels in their factory. Ready to be shipped anytime

I will re-weigh the wheels once reached my home...

NoInterVention

by NoInterVention

Great reviews here. Cheers guys for taking the time to alleviate some of the worry of ordering China-direct.

I'm a bit of a noob rider but looking to upgrade from the stock CAAD10 wheelset. Also I live in the great Canadian rainforest of Vancouver so I get plenty of riding done on slick surfaces. Would you recommend the carbon + alloy brake surface for mostly solo/duo and occasional group rides? The weight difference doesn't concern me too much (coming down from ~1900g RS-10, everything sounds light!) more the breaking reliability. On the one hand I want to be confident in my breaking power, but on the other hand if carbon surface is the way to go I might as well learn on a $600 wheelset.
edit: 77kg current weight, aiming for 75kg.

Thanks for any advice!
Last edited by NoInterVention on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

pcrispey

by pcrispey

Today I received some pictures of my wheels. I will be using the new Swiss Stop black prince brakepads on these wheels. These brake pads are new and only for carbon rims. They have deeper groves to enhance the braking power under all condition en they produce less heat during braking.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/07/19/swissstop-introduces-black-prince-carbon-rim-brake-pads-yellow-no-longer-the-leader/

pcrispey

by pcrispey

Hello,

Can these rims be used tubless ?

KLabs

by KLabs

Are these the 23mm wide carbon clinchers ...

mec287

by mec287

..very good review and some really useful points on carbon rims on descending and in the wet. Thanks for taking the time to set this all down.
S-works 2012 in Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KLabs

by KLabs

Does anybody know the link for the wheels with carbon 23W 38D rims ... thanks

pcrispey

by pcrispey

Today they arrived. 1240 grams...

jeffbong

by jeffbong

today tested 160km on the new wheels..stiff and i love it. All weather conditions rainy and dry all in the same day :)

Delivery- 8 days after paypal payment inclusive Sat n Sun.no complaints

Front-560gm (w/o rim tape)
Rear-703gm-DT240s (w/o rim tape)

Braking with supplied pads:-
Dry= Good
Wet= Reynolds blue pads is much better. FS pads left blue residue on my wheelsets

upside

by upside

How easy was installing the tires. I picked up a set earlier in the year and because of the winter setting in, haven't got much use. When I recieved the wheels they were quite light (1258 clinchers). I had to take the rear apart and rebuild with a Dura Ace 9000 hub as FarSports had no 11 speed hubs available at the time. I installed some Conti's and it was really tough to mount the tire. Found out ssome of the othere people running these wheels found the Schwalbe tires much easier to mount. I picked up a few of the 25's... mounted much easier. Now just waiting for some warmer weather to get some miles on these FarSports wheels.
Rebuilding the rear was very easy to build and rim weight was 380 grams.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffbong

by jeffbong

GP4000s tires was easy to mount...maybe because it's stretched by my previous wheels...