HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:31 pm 

That was going to be my next pad to try. How is braking strength and modulation compared to other pads?

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:31 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:18 am 

mdeth1313 wrote:
I've been using enve brake pads on my farsports rims for about 8 mos and they've been flawless, including rain rides. No squealing at all.

Hey mdeth, how's the wear on the Enve pads after 8 months? Which braking surface do you have on your rims; basalt or high temp? Have you ever felt the rims / pads after a lot of braking on a descent? Are they hot? Normally I'd just go out and buy a set with a recommendation like that but they're $60 / set. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:26 pm 

Wear for me seems minimal. I had used this set on my enve tubulars for more than a year, but after I switched to the clinchers I stopped riding the tubulars. I believe my rims have the basalt surface. I have at least 5000 miles of riding with these pads ( on the farsports wheels ), not sure about total mileage. Seems to be less heat than the swissstops (black) I had been using, but, more importantly, the braking is so much smoother and predictable. At first I thought they provided less stopping power, but once I got used to them I found that to not be the case ( I think the smoothness threw me off ).

If cost is a concern you can always try 1 pair in the front and see how that goes. I picked up a second set way back when I found someone online selling them for about $20 a pair, but I have no clue what retailer.

About 2 weeks ago I was on a 100+ mile ride and it rained the first hour and the roads were wet for another 2 hrs and the braking was flawless ( including a few steep downhills ), just the usual extra couple of seconds to clear the water then nice smooth braking.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:04 pm 

Thanks mdeth. I ordered the Enve pads.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:12 am 

Well...
Not sure what to think... Just put them on the bike :)

1stly was pretty annoyed as they sent me sram brakes instead of campy (though luckily I had some black prince pads that I previously ordered). Wheels seems to be QC'ed and built pretty well (not sure about the spoke tension though will look at that in a few more km's).

Comparing the wheels to Enve 6.7 - or 1.25's there is no comparison. Period. for 1/3rd of the price well we'll see.

So, here is my quick review.

Boxed nicely - No issues. As mentioned before the wrong pads were sent.

Wheels are built well, but you can see you are getting what you pay for... feels like a waste to have the DT swiss hubs on the cheap 38x25mm clincher.

After a quick ride around the block, braking is pretty 'stiff' with the black prince pads (coming from yellows) but I am concerned by the amount of heat in the rim after 2-3 hard emergency stops.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:03 pm 

random101, bummer about them sending you the wrong brake pads. I did a heat check with the Farsports black "ceramic" pads that came with my wheels where I went down a 1 mile -5% descent braking the whole way (I had to brake, lots of traffic). I felt the pads and the rims immediately when I stopped at the bottom and they were both cool to the touch. I think I'd be concerned about the Black Prince pads too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:52 am 

Oh and my biggest gripe with the wheels...

The stupid cheap ass stickers that you can't remove haha!!! Such a pain in the ass! :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:33 am 

comparing the spoke tension by hand compared to the Enve 6.7's

- Completely inconsistent and much lower then the 6.7's

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:40 pm 

Random101: I use a hair dryer on them first before gently peeling them off.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:27 pm 

Black Prince pads will melt FarSports carbon clinchers. I am speaking from experience.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:21 am 

TheDarkInstall wrote:
Black Prince pads will melt FarSports carbon clinchers. I am speaking from experience.

Well that sucks, haha

I might change over in the near future.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:46 am 

They are not listed on the approved / safe for use pad list.

Also, yeah, I melted front and rear on a steep descending ride at the start of the rear. Sucked.

The FSE pads they sell work OK for me (nowhere NEAR as good as Shimano pads on aluminium though, obviously; going pack to metal rims and Shimano pads shows just how hilariously bad this cheap Chinese stuff is at braking, no matter how much we try to convince ourselves otherwise. I have to be extremely careful for the first 500metres of riding not to hugely over-brake when I swap to metal rims)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:44 am 

OwenJames wrote:
They are not listed on the approved / safe for use pad list.

Also, yeah, I melted front and rear on a steep descending ride at the start of the rear. Sucked.

The FSE pads they sell work OK for me (nowhere NEAR as good as Shimano pads on aluminium though, obviously; going pack to metal rims and Shimano pads shows just how hilariously bad this cheap Chinese stuff is at braking, no matter how much we try to convince ourselves otherwise. I have to be extremely careful for the first 500metres of riding not to hugely over-brake when I swap to metal rims)

Maybe I just don't ride alloy rims enough, but my training wheels were very spongy nothing to ride home about.

As for the black prince pads - I emailed kyle asking him if they were okay

Quote:
Hi,

Glad to hear that you got them.
You can use both ours and black prince.
But you can have a try of ours firstly, as they enjoy good feedback I think.

King Regards
Kyle Fu--Farsports

Xiamen Far Sports Co.,Ltd
Phone:86-592-6103812
Fax: 86-592-6101658
Email: sales2@farsports.cn
Web: http://www.farsports.com.
Add: No.96 Jingquan Road Jimei Norththern Industrial Area Xiamen China.

I'll consider using their brakes with shimano but have to change the inserts - massive cbf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:33 pm 

There is no way I'd use Black Prince pads on my FarSports rims after #1 your rims were hot after a couple hard stops #2 another forum member melted his rims with them. Sheesh. Your email to Kyle should be to demand the FSE ceramic pads for your Shimano brakes. I don't care what he says, #1 & #2 means you're going to ruin those rims. The best he'll do for you if he's wrong is send you new rims. You'll be on the hook for building them up again.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:33 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:18 pm 

trex021 wrote:
There is no way I'd use Black Prince pads on my FarSports rims after #1 your rims were hot after a couple hard stops #2 another forum member melted his rims with them. Sheesh. Your email to Kyle should be to demand the FSE ceramic pads for your Shimano brakes. I don't care what he says, #1 & #2 means you're going to ruin those rims. The best he'll do for you if he's wrong is send you new rims. You'll be on the hook for building them up again.

Okay I changed over to the FSE Ceramic pads :) Let's see how it goes

Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next