HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:54 am 

Anyone have any experience with Farsports' http://www.wheelsfar.com/38mm-50mm-x-20-5mm-fse-360-disc-clincher-wheelset.html ? I haven't been looking at their line in months, and just stumbled across them since I'm shopping for a wide (17mm inner width), U-shaped road wheelset for a disc 'cross bike. I searched several forums, but didn't see anything.

Features:
Claimed 360g disc hubset
25mm outer width / 18mm inner width
Sapim CX-Ray spokes (24F/24R)
Semi-toroidal U-shape clincher rims
Mixed rim depths: 38mm F / 50 mm R
Claimed 1450g weight (+/- 30g)
List price $681 USD (w/o shipping)

Comparing weights, a DT 240 disc hubset is spec'd at 375g, and Zipp 303 disc clinchers are spec'd at 1680g. So to get a wide and aero clincher disc wheelset, that's about as light as I've seen.

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:54 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:57 am 

eric wrote:
I've been using the blue pads the the last couple years. Tried the black "ceramic" pads recently and they did not equal the blue pads in braking power. So I ordered some more blue pads from FarSport.

These new pads don't work as well as the old ones or the Reynolds blue pads from a couple years ago. They squeal like crazy on both the new "high temp" braking surface and the older basalt. The older ones did not squeal especially on high-temp. Braking power is not as good as my used old pads but its the squealing that makes me hate these pads.

The new pads fit looser in the pad holders (EE) than the old ones. I wonder if the looser fit has something to do with the squealing.

Hey eric,

I'm experiencing the same squealing with the new Farsports blues on my rear wheel. You mentioned the Reynolds blue pads from a couple years ago were better. Does that mean you've tried the latest Reynolds blues and found them lacking? I need to find some other solution. I do have a set of Farsports black "ceramic", which I haven't tried yet, but giving up braking power doesn't excite me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:09 pm 

My Renolds pads are from a couple years ago. I think they'd be the same now but I thought that about the FarSports blue pads and was wrong.

There's a new 2014 Reynolds blue pad with a larger braking surface, 6 slots instead of three, and new price- $70!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:20 pm 

eric, thanks. BTW I'm using standard Ultegra pad holders with the set screws. So it's not your EEs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:03 am 

Eric, when you got your u shaped rims.. did you hear popping sounds from your spokes? I've only out about 50 miles on mine and I still hear popping sounds from time to time when it's just sitting there. Could it be spoke tensioning still settling in?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:03 am 

Why do they offer the 2:1 lacing option? Does it make for a stronger build?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:32 pm 

To make the wheel stiffer during hard efforts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:02 pm 

addictR1 wrote:
I still hear popping sounds from time to time when it's just sitting there.

That's wierd. I don't think the spokes are setting as it's sitting there, at least that's never happened to me while building wheels after tensioning but before stress-relieving.

I hate to suggest this but I'd try an experiment: let all the air out and see if the noises stop. If so then it's due to air in the tube. That could be the tube forcing air out from under rim tape. Or some structural defect in the rim.

Doesn't 2:1 lacing make the wheel less laterally stiff? Especially if the NDS hub flange is not moved outward from the 1:1 position?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:24 am 

Hi Eric, I'll try that and see. I'm using velo plugs and running 35c tires pumped at 85psi. The panaracers suggested max is 90 or 95psi.

My set was built this way: standard build way, radial on front wheels and No-drive side. 2x cross on drive side

UPDATE: @Eric, i took your advice and let out all the air. it's been two days and i haven't heard any popping sound. I sent an email to Bella @ farsport whom i got my set from and waiting to hear back from her if running 700x35c is not recommended on this cyclocross wheelset. :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:08 am 

Update: New Reynolds Cyro Blue brake pads squeal loudly on my Farsports High Temp braking surface. The same goes for the newest Farsports blue. Those of you who've had good luck with either blue pads in the past are lucky if you have some old inventory because the new versions have changed.

I'm now using the FSE Black "ceramic" pads that came with the wheels. They don't stop quite as well, I'd say they're adequate in dry conditions. I haven't run them in the rain yet. They are nice and quiet though which is important to me, particularly on fast group rides when you really don't want to be the annoying one.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:41 am 

I'm so bummed to hear that about the Reynolds. By New do you mean the 2014 ones with the large braking surface? Or current units of the same style they have been making for a while?

The fact that both Reynolds and FarSports apparently switched compounds at the same time reinforces my feeling that the Reynolds and FarSport blue pads are the same thing.

In brake pad news I noticed that FarSports recommends Bontrager cork pads so I bought some. I tested them today, though it was just a recovery ride so no serious descents. They have a nice firm feel. Braking is strong, possibly the best braking I've had yet on carbon rims. Modulation is good. But on moderately hard or hard braking they squeal. The other problem is they cost double what Reynolds pads cost.
My rims had some blue deposit on them from the FarSport pads. I should have cleaned them but did not have time. I'll try that, and toeing in the pads next. Something has to work well on these rims.

I had to file the backs of the pads down to get them into the EE holders. These aren't the first pads that have been too thick to slide into the EE holders.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:46 am 
Administrator

What kind of braking are you guys doing? This is my 4th season on my Reynolds Blue carbon pads and they are still not worn to the point where I think I need to replace them. I have well over 30,000K on them. For some reason I thought they would wear like the Koolstop for carbon which I wore out in less that a season so I bought a spare set that are still sitting around waiting to be used. It also sounds like I'm glad I do have NOS pads so I don't have to deal with finding an alternate pad for a while.

-First one over the cliff wins!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:09 pm 

Eric, the Reynolds pads I referred to are the current units of the same style they've been making for a while.

Juan, the wheels are new and I've never owned the original compound Reynolds.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:53 pm 

My old Reynolds (4 years) and Farsport pads (3 years) are not worn down all the way but seem like they're getting hard. One will be my back up for my upcoming races if I can't find something newer that works.

I'm also researching for a friend who bought FarSports wheels just recently and doesn't have any old Reynolds pads.

When I tried Kool Stop carbons (on Reynolds, they were recommended at the time) chunks were coming off after an hour's easy ride with just stop sign stops, no descents. And they screeched like a garbage truck. Worst brake pad ever.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:40 pm 

I've been using enve brake pads on my farsports rims for about 8 mos and they've been flawless, including rain rides. No squealing at all.

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:40 pm 

Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next