HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:50 pm 

I've just got the FSE Brake Pads (Coming from Swiss Stop Black Prince) and the new pads seem to be a lot less effective, its like riding them in the wet, they take an age to grab, and you need to squeeze quite hard to get a sharp stop, only been a day or so so it might be a case of getting them bedded in, was expecting more..

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:50 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:04 pm 

Carrots wrote:
motormouth wrote:
Carrots wrote:
Has anyone had any luck with emailing farsports lately? Can't get through on their main email and no reply on the other mentioned above.

My emails were bounced, but somehow Kyle responded to it. I never heard back from the main account though.

shipping update:

wheels were delivered this morning. can't wait to get my hands on them.

Any chance you have have Kyles email still?

it's this one: sales2@farsports.cn

I don't get the bounce anymore (I've emailed Kyle a few times since this issue)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:43 am 

Thanks motormouth.

Damn thing has come back delayed again! Doh!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:09 pm 

Just for interest, what are the preferred ways to pay Farsports? Does anyone use Western Union, for example, and if not what else?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:22 pm 

Has anyone used Bontrager Cork pads on their FarSports? I see they are approved by FarSport. I know they work well on Bontrager wheels.

I'd use a payment mechanisim with some way to resolve disputes. Not that FarSport has been anything other than honest with me, just being prudent.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:52 pm 

PayPal! I know that I pay extra to use it, however I want to have the middle person while working with China.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black

2013 Cannondale EVO Hi mod DA 9000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:46 pm 

From my experience Farsports only accepts Paypal, no other forms.

That would be the 'best' option anyway for foreign transactions excluding a wire transfer.

I don't know why anyone would ever use Western Union for anything excepting illegal activities (or you don't have a bank account, or for a last ditch rescue from foreign area) but maybe I am ignorant of some mechanism.

BTW -- I have my wheels in-hand and they look great. just waiting on a few parts and the time to get them setup and then pics to follow.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:20 pm 

Hi all,

I have a question about Farsport rims (already posted this in the other FS thread though it's more suited to 38mm so I'll post again here) :)

So I normally ride Enve 1.25 (crashed) and 6.7's tubs & I'm looking to replace the 1.25's with Farsport 38mmx23/25 was originally going to go get Enve 3.4's but then decided I might as well go a cheaper training clincher wheel (and race the 6.7's)

Anyhow, I got a few quotes from kyle and a 38mmx25 is about $900 delivered with DTswiss 240 hubs, for a similar price you can get FF wheels & a two year crash replacement warranty.

Two questions;

1. Is it worth going DTswiss 240s? I have both campy and Sram running gear so I like to be able to be able to interchange the freehub easily as I currently do.
*Note; Wouldn't be much more to just get two rear wheels one campy and one sram. In fact it would probably be cheaper with their hubs.

2. I can't decide between the widths either 23 or 25mm... Honestly I only want the 25mm because it will mean less adjustment of the brakes when I put on the 6.7s as they are pretty wide.

But I would use the 38's in the hills when training so I would prefer them to be lighter (I am about 71kg) hence I'd rather the 23mm U shape?

Is there any other benefit to go with 25mm wheels?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:47 am 

I have the ED hubs on mine with a spare campy freehub (about $40). It's really easy to change them. That said, just switched to sram 11 speed and shimano/campag /sram cassettes are cross compatible so will be using shimano 11 speed cassette with my bike built with . campag.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:12 am 

I guess there really is no point paying the $300 premium to go DTswiss?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:12 am 

In general I have had good experiences with Bitex hubs (Ed are Bitex), though I will note that the Ed hubs on my 50mm Farsports would make the occasional pinging sound, seemed to be when wheels were torqued laterally, so am guessing there might have been a pawl alignment issue in those cases; that hub is super lightweight. I was around 75kg at the time, no slipping or any real problems, though. I would definitely buy Bitex again. I have a set of their disc hubs on my commuter that have 15k miles without any maintenance.

For the width, the wider rims should give the tire more of a u-shape rather than lightbulb, which is supposed to help with cornering stability (makes sense) and perhaps with aerodynamics and contact patch shape / rolling resistance (less sure on that). The suggestion is that pairing wide rims with latex tubes and nice rim-width tires gets you close to the ride of a tubular. I feel like cornering confidence is something that can be perceived with the wider shape, but that may be in my head. I like running 25mm tires on my 24.5mm-wide rims, though. I am pretty sure that any weight difference would be very hard to perceive on the bike. And if there is indeed an aero advantage to the wider rims, that would probably negate the difference in grams. So I would vote wider for more (wider) tire flexibility. Of course, you could extend the aero argument and vote for deeper wheels too -- even in the hills, but without actual wind tunnel data one can only speculate so much.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:13 am 

Another silly question,

If I'm running 11speed, I wouldn't need to readjust my rear derailleur for wheels with different hubs? Or are the spacings slightly different?
In which case I will go the DtSwiss?

Anyone have any experience with Bitex RSPR Straight Pull Rear Hubs?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:59 pm 

My experience with the Bitex/Edhub is that their cassette positioning is pretty good. I don't often have to make adjustments when going from bitex to white ind. to edhub or any combination. I am running 10sp cassettes and mostly 10sp freehubs but that should not make a difference. If there is an adustment it's a click or two on the cable tension.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:38 am 

Pulled the trigger on 38x25 clinchers with Dtswiss hubs...

Farsports please don't disappoint!

Note; The only other carbon wheels I've had are Enve's.... No pressure or anything Farsports :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:58 am 

I have been looking at Light Bicycles/Farsports for some rims to build. They both tell me that there is a 10-15 timeline before they are shipped and another 5-7 for shipping. Is anyone recieving theirs earlier or is it just because of the time of year. :up:

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:58 am 

Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 27  Next