HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:51 am 
Administrator

@ arodriguez. I have the 38mm 23mm wide clincher rims. The wheels are a little more active when its windy but nothing that is not manageable or wanting me to get the U shaped version.

To date I'm extremely pleased with the Farsports hubs, rims and build quality.

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:51 am 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:21 pm 

Can I ask, those who have the 23mm version do you wish that you had went for the 25 if it was available? I'm trying to get a handle on whether the 25mm attributes are worth the weight penalty.

As far as I can see-

23mm comes with the new 2014 braking surface, tubeless compatible but no U shape.

25mm comes with the basalt braking surface, no mention of tubeless, U shaped, 70g weight penalty.

Will the 25 give a better tyre shape for grip and comfort and aerodynamics over the 23? Or is it negligible?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:31 pm 

I think I'm answering my own posts here, but I only intend to use 23c and 25c tyres so I think that the 23mm rim will be sufficient.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:31 pm 

I received a new set of 2014 23mm x38mm clinchers. Compared to the 2013 version they are slightly different. They are not as v shape as early branded wheels out there. I really think that they are close to the shape of the 2014 version that is noted to be U shape. They are not torridal at all, which I was hoping for. The set is actually deeper than the 2013 version at closer to 39.5mm deep unlike the earlier version right at 38mm. I had them built the same way as my earlier version Sapin cxray with the CB hubs. The weight came in at 1240 for the set, slightly lower than my 2013 set. They are wider which I was looking for with them right at the 23mm.

I now have 250 miles on them with last weekend a 75 mile hilly ride with a 18% grade, the only thing that I notice they need to hit my local wheel builder ( like the 2013 version) and have the spoke tension cranked up to where they should be. No difference in ride from the earlier version, all great there. On the way out I hammered the brakes down the 18% grade and found that as advertised the tracks stayed cool with the new black pads, and high temp surface. The only odd thing is the track stays rough unlike the Basalt surface and does make a sound like a singing bird at first when cool, it goes away once there is a little heat, not squealing or a bad sound. My group sends me down the hills first to scare away ground squirrels, and deer.

Some may ask why a new set this year, my wife wanted a set so the plan was to give her the experienced 2013 set ;)

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black

2013 Cannondale EVO Hi mod DA 9000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:40 pm 

oreo, that's a good looking wheel set. Thanks for the review.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:54 am 

Still see that not too much interest in the 20.5 mm from most users.. What i see there is more going around the 23 and 25mm width...
I was expecting more clear difference from one width and the other.. What makes it different from each other? Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:23 am 

I wonder why they went from basalt brake surface last year and 25mm wide to a high temp resin (only) and 23mm wide.
What is the difference in the shape?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:13 pm 

ive riddent my 6000 mile report on the 2014 bitec 38mm Ushaped wide carbon wheels on the road section. Ill cut and paste it here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:16 pm 

So here is a Longer term review for anyone thats interested.
I have the 2014 Bitec Ushaped wide 38mm wheelset.

I now have 6000 miles on on them. After riding in Rain, High winds and several degrees of descents I can post only positive results with these wheels.

The Brake Pad area is fine. Very few if any signs of use. I washed the brake area with soap and water after every three rides. Hand dried. As well, I used a scotch gaurd pad to wipe down and clean the brake surface area. That helped the most with braking. Used soap and water 90% of the time AFTER using the scotch guard. Adjusting is extremely important with these brakes ive learned. Unlike Alum wheels where one can get away with disregarding brake adjustment and Brake pad maintenance, these wheels MUST be maintained. After rides in the rain there is slightly less break quality but its very good for a carbon wheel. BUT YOU MUST, clean the break pads, because of grime being picked up off the ground. Im very sure that if you had some type of small rock chip, metal on the brake pad it could do damage to the wheel.

Also, after removing the tires to install new ones, I noticed no warping at all to the wheels. Inside or out. And frankly I noticed NO truing issues at all too. For reference i weigh 135.6 lbs and am 5'9. So maybe its my weight but I cant be sure. Also, I didnt notice any issues with the rim tape that they put in there also, I was wanting to get some velo plugs but I didnt see a need to at this point.

Ive ridden it in mostly Dallas which is generally flat, but Ive also taken it to Austin and West texas where there are more hills. Found no issues with longer distance descents or anything of that nature. There may be some squealing but no more so than other carbon wheels. Except for newer ENVE wheels which i'm convinced are made from unicorn horn dust because they never seem to squeal and sound dead sexy.

Overall I am extremely satisfied with these wheels and will for sure report if I have any issues so far.
Im about to run out of Brakes though, the blue ones so if anyone is making an order for wheels, let me know and Ill be happy to send you paypal some cash, to order me some on your order. Because the shipping is free for you that way....

Ride safe

heres how they look on the bike.
Ill get some pictures this aftertoon of how the brake surface looks after all these miles.

Post subject: black pads...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:03 pm 

instead of creating a new thread.. thought i post this question here instead. a riding buddy of mine is going to get a 38/50 combo with the u-shape from farsport, so i figure i can add my brake pad orders in to be shipped together.

but was told the blue pad, which i had with my original set last year, was not in stock and was offered the black ceramic instead.

http://www.wheelsfar.com/accessories/br ... -bp01.html

two questions:
1) anyone here using these already and if so, how is the stopping power compared to the blue?
2) are these suppose to be like the Reynold's black prince?

thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:12 pm 

I had the blue and went through a set, like other reviews really good stopping power. With my new set I ordered an extra set of the black and they wheels came with a set of black. They seem to stop better than the blue as my review notes. None of the waste material that built up at the end of the blue pads. So far there is no noise from the black pads at all, this could be from the rougher brake surface??

I used the Black prince on my original set of FS wheels and did not like them, they were too soft and felt sticky when small amounts of brake needed. The new Black really seems to be best of the blue and black prince. I am running them on the new set and extremely pleased so far.

Time to go ride

Scott

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black

2013 Cannondale EVO Hi mod DA 9000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:25 pm 

thanks scott.. that's good to hear. i do see a lot of build up in my blue pads.. so i try to clean the stuff out from the groove before every ride. but usually i forget to do so.. too eager to ride my addict.. haha..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:53 pm 

has anyone tried their 20 or 24mm tubulars? for the price they seem like a great deal for a sub 1000g wheelset.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:41 am 

Dogg- yeah I got a set of 24mm tubulars a couple of weeks back from Farsports. I got the rims only and had a mate build them up with mig70/mag170 20/24h +sapim cx-ray spokes. Came in at 988g in total. Absolutely love the wheelset. I was worried about them being flexible as most of the wheels I ride hit the brake pads when I put some power down on a climb, but these were as steady as a rock. I got them with the FS black pads and braking is great. I have yet to ride them in the rain though. No squealing sounds from the brakes.
(sorry to hijack this thread btw - I realise the original thread was started to talk about clinchers).

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:41 am 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:52 am 
Administrator

@ Dogg. I have a set of the 20mm with the ED hubs. I have tubulars stretched on them but have been so busy that I still need to glue them. My 38mm 23 wide carbon clinchers are great so I do expect these to be good and more compliant due to the longer spokes although not that the 38mm are too stiff. I really need to glue these wheels since I have been sitting on them for over 7 months.

BTW Mine came in at 976 grams.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 27  Next