FarSports 38mm Carbon Clincher Review Thread, The

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Juggler

by Juggler

The new wheels have arrived.

They look great... and feel that way too.

Weight: 1.243 grams

2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Look good! Mine weighed right at 1250 with red veloplugs installed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

Thinking about going with these - but have NO idea which hub to choose. I'll take durability over light weight here, so even if it's a tad heavier, I'll go with it. Can anybody recommend a hub for me?

metanoize

by metanoize

Juggler wrote:The new wheels have arrived.

They look great... and feel that way too.

Weight: 1.243 grams

What's the width on these rims?

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

What are these rims like braking in the wet?

I tried a couple of sets of carbon rims for the first time a couple of weeks ago (ENVE SMART’s and Zipp firecrest 303’s) and they were absolutely useless in the wet, I mean suicidal in comparison to alu rims at any speed above 20mph.

I’m all for light weight and aero, but what’s the point if you rear end a van at the first hint of drizzle?
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

SteveFromNY wrote:Thinking about going with these - but have NO idea which hub to choose. I'll take durability over light weight here, so even if it's a tad heavier, I'll go with it. Can anybody recommend a hub for me?

I chose 20/24 Novatec hubs, in large part because folks like November Bicycles spec them as the default standard on their wheel builds (not using Farsport rims however). Unless you want to spend more just for the sake of spending. It'll add less than 60 grams to the overall weight. If you're getting the wheels built locally, you can source a SL version of the Novatec (check bdop cycling) and drop at least 30 grams. Have ridden only about 200 miles on mine, so can't report on hub durability.
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

carlislegeorge wrote:
SteveFromNY wrote:Thinking about going with these - but have NO idea which hub to choose. I'll take durability over light weight here, so even if it's a tad heavier, I'll go with it. Can anybody recommend a hub for me?

I chose 20/24 Novatec hubs, in large part because folks like November Bicycles spec them as the default standard on their wheel builds (not using Farsport rims however). Unless you want to spend more just for the sake of spending. It'll add less than 60 grams to the overall weight. If you're getting the wheels built locally, you can source a SL version of the Novatec (check bdop cycling) and drop at least 30 grams. Have ridden only about 200 miles on mine, so can't report on hub durability.

Thanks! How do you like the wheels so far and what kind of brake pads are you using?

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

My initial report is on page 6 of this thread. The observations there still hold after another 150 miles or so since that first ride. I may try out tubeless tires soon just to see how they feel (I got accustomed to them on my last wheels).
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

Colin

by Colin

I received my wheels a couple weeks ago (no pictures, they look like everyone else's..), came in at 1247g!
Just a note, I asked for 10 speed hubs, and received an 11 speed wheel. Not a big deal, probably a good thing honestly, this way I can upgrade to 11sp easier if I want. Just wanted to let you guys know in case your like me and put the cassette on and can't figure out why there's so much extra space on the freehub!

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

did anybody use veloplugs? if so, which ones- red or yellow?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Red ones, but you'll need to use a tool to push them in as the fit is very tight.
And by tools, just anything you have lying around that can push them in. Like an allen wrench.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

^thanks. so the inside of the rims are pretty smooth right? just worried about the finish possibly popping a tube.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yeah, they're pretty darn smooth. :)
Much, much smoother than an alloy rim may be.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

^awesome thanks again for all your help. I put in an order with Kyle for the wider (23mm brake track) 38mm clincher! it's 1330 grams so I hope that little bit of weight penalty will be offset with the benefits of the wider rim. hope I get it soon!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

also, which red veloplug did you use? I heard the older ones may contain sharp edges. did they come in the first or second package?

Image Image