FarSports 38mm Carbon Clincher Review Thread, The

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

wrcompositi: the sound is more high pitch in those areas where the line is shown. However, in my search it all seem that cracked CF frame should have a dense sound not a high pitch sound. since my farsport wheel had a crack, i'm gonna change to another set of farsport that's new and see if the loose feel in the rear goes away.

TheDarkInstall: my brake track still good.. but maybe that crack i see is from overheating or something. not sure. i also use the same pads from FS.

eric

by eric

DarkInstall: How many hours is 9 months of riding?

addictR1: I'm not sure the crack is is a crack- if the rim surface is smooth, i doubt it is. Its more likely a defect in manufacturing. Are you sure it's not been there all along? In any case even if it was a crack all the way through, it would not cause a loose feeling in the rear of the bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

@addictR1; my question was a general one, and not related to your issue. I want to know how much life people are getting out of these rims, over time.

@eric; that is about 600 hours on each rim.

addictR1

by addictR1

@eric: good point. will bring my wheelset to my buddy's place tomorrow to measure the tension on the spoke. some of them felt really soft. will take it apart tonight and give it a good tap around the rims to see if it's cracked.

Spanglo

by Spanglo

How are the ceramic brake pads that come with the wheels? Are they worth installing or is it recommended to toss 'em?

eric

by eric

I thought they had good firm feel at the lever and did not squeal like so many carbon pads do, and didn't fade in my testing. But the braking power was poor- I had to squeeze them too hard. I like strong brakes that some would find grabby. I'm used to motorcycle disc brakes.

I've also tried the older Farsports blue pads. The older ones work well, the newer blue pads squeal. FarSports recommends Bontrager cork pads also. They're expensive and I had to cut and sand down the backs to fit them in EE pad holders. They brake well but squeal, albeit less than the new blue pads. Swiss Stop Yellow pads put a lot of heat into the rims and they squeal, so I won't use them.

Spanglo

by Spanglo

@eric - thanks for the feedback.

Ordered 38mm wheels Sept 26th, and they arrived at my door Oct 2nd. Nice.

Weighed in at 1260g.

Stan's Rim tape should be here tomorrow, then I'll mount 'em up.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Hey

I am divided between getting 23mm and 25mm width clinchers for a new build.

I have a 2014 SuperSixEvo frame which has about 31mm of seat stay space for the tyre. I run 25mm on 20.5mm wide rims at the moment which gives me a few mm clearance on each side at the widest point of the tyre.

Will going up to 23mm, or 25mm increase this maximum tyre width, or does it not work like that?

I asked a mate to measure his 25mm tyre on a 25mm clincher and he got a max midth of about 27.2mm.

Anyone got any experience of this?

beatle

by beatle

I can tell you that I had a 25 mm IRC tire on a Pacenti rim and the tire measured at 28 mm and it still fit in my 2014 Cdale Evo Hi Mod. I felt the steering was way too slow and went back to 23 mm.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Hey

Yeah I use a 25mm tyre now, and it fits. I have the tyre on a 20.5mm rim though. I want to go up to a 23mm or 25mm rim, and wondered if this would increase the width of the tyre?

Multebear

by Multebear

I have a 2012 Evo HiMod, and 25 mm Farsport rims fitted with 25 mm Conti GP4000 S2. No problem at all. The only problem is, my rear dura ace brake hasnt enough clearence. I had to install a 105 rear brake for clearence.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Multebear wrote:I have a 2012 Evo HiMod, and 25 mm Farsport rims fitted with 25 mm Conti GP4000 S2. No problem at all. The only problem is, my rear dura ace brake hasnt enough clearence. I had to install a 105 rear brake for clearence.

Hey.

Where abouts did the tyre touch the brake (and was it 7900 or 9000?)

Multebear

by Multebear

beatle

by beatle

TheDarkInstall wrote:Hey

Yeah I use a 25mm tyre now, and it fits. I have the tyre on a 20.5mm rim though. I want to go up to a 23mm or 25mm rim, and wondered if this would increase the width of the tyre?

The Pacenti 23 has an inner rim width of 20.3, not sure how that compare to what you are looking at.

AJS914

by AJS914

The answer is yes to thedarkinstall's question. A tire will be wider on a 23 or 25mm rim compared a 20mm rim. Going from 23mm to 25mm rims isn't a huge jump percentage wise so I'd choose between 23 or 25 based on how it fits your brake calipers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com