FarSports 38mm Carbon Clincher Review Thread, The

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

upside

by upside

prendrefeu, How long did it take to get your wheels after you placed the order.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

About 5 working days from the shipment notification. I received an EMS tracking number as well, but it stopped tracking after the package was in the hands of the USPS.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

upside

by upside

Prendrefeu, when I placed my order I figured they were ready to ship. I got a message back from Kylefoo that there is a 6-10 build time. That I was unaware of.. I guess I am going to hope for the best. I work in a shop and get the nice industry discounts, but if these super light clinchers work, it may be the deal of the decade. Right now I have been using Aeolus D3's in the tubular version and have to admit the nicest wheel i have ever had. But on my longer rides would prefer a clincher to ease my mind. Anyway thanks for all your help

syncmaster

by syncmaster

On the topic of shipping. Each time I've ordered from Farsports, the EMS tracking number would continue to track through USPS' website once they hit state side. I've had very positive experiences with Farsports with my 50mm tubulars and the wheels are great so far.

ch1llg

by ch1llg

Awesome review, I own a pair of these and I am very happy with them given the price spent. I was able to actually but two pairs 50's and 38's for about the same price as one pair of Boyds. Honestly I ride these hard and haven't noticed any flex or issues at all. . .yet. The thing that separates these and wheels sold by larger companies or local companies is warranty and the cost of freight and the hassle if something does go wrong. Although I must say it seems that they stand behind there product.

One thing I have noticed is the supplied pads wear down really fast. Do the Swiss Stop or Reynolds pads wear fast also?
2011 Felt F5 Limited
2007 Lynskey Level 2
2008 Masi Speciale Fixed
2011 Felt F75

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

upside wrote:Prendrefeu, when I placed my order I figured they were ready to ship. I got a message back from Kylefoo that there is a 6-10 build time. That I was unaware of...

It makes sense: these are handbuilt wheels and I would imagine they don't keep a stock of wheels ready to ship send each customer may have different requests (spoke, nipple color or count, hub type, and so on). There was a 4 day wait from payment to shipment for myself. Build time probably depends on the quantity of orders they are dealing with, rim supply, and so on - and we've all got to consider national holidays in China as well. I thought it was reasonable overall.

@ ch1llg - Others with more experience may have better insight into the wear of Reynolds Blue than myself. In my own observation they seem to be wearing a little bit faster than normal pads but nothing dramatic.

upside

by upside

These wheels can be ordered with the ED hubs. Does anyone know if the 11 speed cassette body is available or when.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Small update to review:

[see previous post for specs per review]

I took these down some rather steep descents today (18-21%) with road conditions that would be best described as "mostly smooth except for very rough patches and hidden bumps from the roots of massive trees lining the road" and very, very tight corners which are thankfully consistent in radius and camber. For these corners it is necessary to maintain the lane as much as possible and not veer even close to the center line as most corners are blind due to the large wall-like landscaping jobs of the double-digit million dollar homes in the area. Yes, it's Bel Air.

Now, keep in mind, I may not be braking as much as other people might on a similar descent and I would still rate myself as a confident descender. However due to the nature of this type of descent I found myself braking more than usual (plus, it's damn steep)

After coming down I took a feel of the brake tracks and a few seconds to inspect them. No issues to report!
Of note:
-There are clearly some areas where the Reynolds Blue Pad's remnants can be seen in the brake track now.
-The brake track has rubbed smooth in the areas where the pads contact the rim. This does not seem to have effected braking that much. Again, it tends to fade-in and these are not that great for emergency stops on steep descents.
-There were certain parts of the descent where I could smell my brake pads. (especially after nearly missing a head on incident with a Range Rover that decided to drive in the middle of the road uphill around a corner). Did I mention nearly all corners are blind in the area?
-Feeling the brake track, it did not feel any hotter than the equivalent amount of braking using my Stans Alpha 340 build, however it got cooler much quicker.

Finally, it's clear that using a wider rim set up when descending on routes such as this is beneficial. These rims (38mm CC) are the traditional width and do carve into turns just fine - but the wider rims are notably better. That being said, if these wheels continue to perform as they have and companies such as FarSports produce newer technology with wider rims, I would probably buy a set. I've been happy with these wheels thus far and will continue to ride & report.

Thanks.

upside

by upside

prendrefeu , What tires are you using? I installed some Conti 4000's on the new wheels today and it was a b_ _ _ _. There must be an easier tire to install on these wheels. I did you a Enve wheel strip which is thin and tight, but maybe there is something else I should be using.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Conti GP400s - and yeah, it's a total p.i.t.a to put on, but quite snug once it's on there. I had to use a tire lever to pop it on and save my fingers.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

I just got my wheels through, with an identical spec to yours prendrefeu (except 3K rather than UD rims) however my weights have come out as 33g's more! i.e 1260 without veloplugs.

ImageImage

Also going to mount GP4000S on these, not looking forward to it..

Full ride report to follow once the bike rebuild is complete.

eric

by eric

I put GP4s on my 50mms and it wasn't any tougher than other wheels. Easier than my Reynolds carbon clinchers.

I used Veloplugs. Rox tape would be even lower profile.

cwilli15

by cwilli15

Has anyone tried the wider (23mm) FarSports cylclocross wheel as a road wheel? Would this even be an option? I imagine they could build a set with Sapim CX Rays as well?

Sorry I am referring to tubular's!

kylefoo
in the industry
Location: N96 Road jingquan, Jimei District, Xiamen city, China

by kylefoo

prendrefeu's review, objective. some times, i do some replies on this forum. :D
FarSports carbon wheels
Email:sales2@farsports.cn
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

kylefoo
in the industry
Location: N96 Road jingquan, Jimei District, Xiamen city, China

by kylefoo

cwilli15 wrote:Has anyone tried the wider (23mm) FarSports cylclocross wheel as a road wheel? Would this even be an option? I imagine they could build a set with Sapim CX Rays as well?

Sorry I am referring to tubular's!

Cwilli15, yeah, our cyclecross series wheels can be built as road wheels with V-brake pads, meanwhile, also can be as MTB wheels with Disc brake. with Sapim CX-ray spokes.
FarSports carbon wheels
Email:sales2@farsports.cn
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com