HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:47 am 

I've been looking at new wheels for my Caad10 and really want some tubeless carbon clinchers. I bought a set of 2015 Assaults that claimed to be tubeless but had nothing but problems setting them up and found their rim design had a flaw so I returned them and find myself in the hunt again. The Easton's are true tubeless with no need for rim tape, spec out comparable to other rims in the same depth and price catagory for weight and aero properties and claim to have the best braking in the business. Only problem I have with them is nobody's riding a set. I know Easton got bought out by Race Face then Race Face got bought out be Fox so they got shook up a bit but they kept the wheel division alive and are starting to pump out some new wheels like the EC90SL's which are 28mm wide (19mm inside), 38mm deep, 1470 grams and tubeless. I really want the Aero55's based mostly on looks but to be honest don't know if the added depth and weight (1,600g) will benefit me compared to the shallower EC90SL's? I live in central Florida so no real climbs to consider and almost all of my rides are solo efforts so I guess I could go either way? I've had the bike on a diet since I bought it so the 38's are tempting and as far as I know there's nothing else out there that is a true tubeless carbon clincher and don't want anything that requires tape to seal so I'm sold on these wheels but would like to hear some opinions on which set to choose because its a big purchase for me, Thanks!

EC90SL's

AERO55's

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:13 am 

I'd also consider the reynolds 58 aero

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:13 am 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:15 pm 

lannes wrote:
I'd also consider the reynolds 58 aero

They're not tubeless compatible and after my dealing with Reynolds regarding my set of Assaults, I'm steering clear of their products for now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:44 am 

I haven't had much luck with Easton's hubs or their low spoke count high tension wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:51 am 

mtbmiles wrote:
I haven't had much luck with Easton's hubs or their low spoke count high tension wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had nothing but good results from their Haven wheels on my mtb for the last three years with a 20/24 spoke count and my 18/20 spoke count Ultegra road wheels have been flawless too. I was pushing 265lbs at one point but got down to 220 recently.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:58 am 

In any case the Aero 55 Echo hubs are new, and I presume you haven't tried them yet?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:10 pm 

Kayrehn wrote:
In any case the Aero 55 Echo hubs are new, and I presume you haven't tried them yet?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

No, which is why I'd come here to ask questions about a product I'm uninformed about. They've been out for a couple years and the Echo hubs come on their EA90SLX aluminum wheels as well. Nothing but good reviews on the hubs, I'm mainly looking for feedback on their phantom rim quality and characteristics. How well do they brake? Are they noisy? Any faults? Etc...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:24 pm 

Used it for almost a year, zero problem so far. No sound when braking at all, both with swisstop Black Prince and some Taiwan carbon pads,and stopping is neither spectacular or poorer compared to other carbon rims (used Reynolds, Madfiber and Zipp previously). Rims makes a nice steady low roar, and handles well. I'm 68kg and can't say much about its stiffness. Greatest thing I like about it is that I'll never need to adjust preload.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:44 pm 

Kayrehn wrote:
Used it for almost a year, zero problem so far. No sound when braking at all, both with swisstop Black Prince and some Taiwan carbon pads,and stopping is neither spectacular or poorer compared to other carbon rims (used Reynolds, Madfiber and Zipp previously). Rims makes a nice steady low roar, and handles well. I'm 68kg and can't say much about its stiffness. Greatest thing I like about it is that I'll never need to adjust preload.

Thanks, now I have to decide between the 55's or 38's. I'm in Florida so it's mostly flat which makes me think the 55's would be the way to go, plus I'm eyeing that new Allez Sprint frame that screams for deep wheels. On the other hand, I know how lighter wheels just feel good for acceleration so the 38's would be nice too? Decisions, decisions!!!

Also, how's the hub sound? I've only seen one crappy video where they appear to sound like King hubs with the swarm of bee's type sound which I like?

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:44 pm