Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

battler

by battler

birzzles wrote:My rims cracked along the braking surface on the second ride out. i was descending a short hill, using cork pads, and weigh 70kg. I bought 24mm clinchers from Light-bicycle.

wow thats a real concern. i'm about to build up a wheelset with those exact rims and they 'look' ok. i'm going to use the new reynolds power blue pads for 2014.

how did LB handle the warranty? they should theoretically send you a new one without needing to send that back. its useless now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DrGalactus

by DrGalactus

birzzles wrote:you can find some images of the wheel on youtube - google 'rim ridden twice'

"This was on its second outing, careful braking the rim has given way, presumably due to braking heat, I was cycling slowly down a 300ft hill in Devon."

We're you dragging the rear brake?

nagge

by nagge

I'm looking for a light weight low profile tubular wheel. I'm looking at farsports 23mm wide 20mm high wheel and their 20.5mm wide 24mm high wheel. My question is how much does width affect aerodynamics on such a low profile wheel? I weigh about 75kg and I feel that 20mm high seems quite shallow and might be less stiff?
SuperSix EVO III Ultegra 8070

Nicos

by Nicos

I think the 23-20 will be stiffer laterally and the 20.5-24 stiffer radially.
And I'm not sure what will be the most aerodynamic, since the 23mm wide is less deep, but it should match the tire width beter (which is more aerodynamic)
In conclusion I don't know what's best :p

petepeterson

by petepeterson

You need to try harder or get better internet skillz. I posted serveral times in said thread about my LB45mm rim experience....

stephenjwhan

by stephenjwhan

Two wheelsets were delivered to my place this morning (no duties or taxes!). so $400US per wheelset plus $120 shipping for both sets and they arrived within a week of payment.

Gave them a quick inspection and minus a couple little marks, they seem pretty good. I'll fully inspect and post pictures hopefully tomorrow.

However, has anyone here ordered Novatec A291SL/F482SL hubs? Both wheelsets have unbranded black hubs. Was wondering if these are the right hubs or if they should be branded ? Anyway to check ?

aktexican

by aktexican

stephenjwhan wrote:Two wheelsets were delivered to my place this morning (no duties or taxes!). so $400US per wheelset plus $120 shipping for both sets and they arrived within a week of payment.

Gave them a quick inspection and minus a couple little marks, they seem pretty good. I'll fully inspect and post pictures hopefully tomorrow.

However, has anyone here ordered Novatec A291SL/F482SL hubs? Both wheelsets have unbranded black hubs. Was wondering if these are the right hubs or if they should be branded ? Anyway to check ?

Mine are all black too. No branding. Google the hubs and you can see they are the Novatecs.

Nice deal and crazy fast shipping. I doubt you will be disappointed. I know I'm not.

stephenjwhan

by stephenjwhan

Got an email from Rae assuring me they are the correct Novatec A291Sl/F482SL hubs. Also did some comparisons and they definitely are the Novatecs. Thanks @aktexican !

Waiting for my tires to arrive. Will post photos soon.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Does anybody have any experience of the carbon alloy clincher from farsports? Want a set of light shallow wheels and given I'm happy with both sets of 38mm I have from them, thought I might give them a try.

Had contemplated the 24mm carbon clincher too but not sure I would be confident on heat dissipation on the hills.

Other option is Soul 2.0 but like the fact farsports use CX rays. Any opinions on these would be good too.

Derf

by Derf

I'm in the same boat as Beancounter. Would love to know if anyone has any experience with any of the alloy-carbon clinchers. Don't want to monkey with brakes/etc--and I sit infinitely more on the aero weenie side than the weight weenie (but this site just has a lot of gear nerds, so it works. :D)

I'm more interested in the "bigger" ones (60-90mm depth, 23-25mm wide at the brakes), as I'm hoping to build one up with a powertap. My TT rig is a specialized transition, and the stupid chainstays rub on a disc cover. It'd be nice to have a deeper wheel in order to improve clearance. And, well, to have a fun all-around wheelset.

Thuekr

by Thuekr

Check out the alloy carbon 2015 range on yishunbike.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Why?

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Kyle for FS had come back with a quote on the 23mm with ED hubs at 1330g, which I don't think is too bad.

Still desperate to hear from anyone that has ridden carbon/alloy from Farsports.

Having used dura ace carbon alloy clinchers (c24's) for a few years, I can't imagine they are any less stuff stiff than them (I think they have 36 spokes in total f+r)

tharmor

by tharmor

I was just looking at Yishun's website to check for an update on the 2015 u shape rims we were discussing on the previous page(s), and to my surprise it would appear that they have changed the design. Now all of the various depths list a maximum width of only 25mm, whereas before they were being advertised as having a maximum width of 28mm.

Seems a bit weird, and I know a few of you had placed orders with them. Any feedback on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

The 25mm wide market seems saturated to me now. The 28mm wide market wasn't, and I was intrigued to see the shape/profile to compare it to Easton's new offering.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com