Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Problem is that it's another drawing that is nowhere near to scale. Doesn't inspire confidence.......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rijndael

by rijndael

It looks like they used MS Paint, or something similar, to black out the first digit of the depth number and put in the "5".

tharmor

by tharmor

It has been discussed in this thread previously. Light-Bicycle used the same schematic for their 45mm wheel, and their 90mm wheel, and just painted over the numbers. I am not sure why they bought that was a good idea, but they did it nevertheless.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

The L-B 45mm rim profile is almost an exact clone of the current 404 firecrest

cajer

by cajer

Ok. Has anyone gotten the 50mm though?

ryker

by ryker

Tilldish wrote:Any thoughts on the Far Sports wheels with DT Swiss 240s hubs?
Are the hubs a bit overkill compared to the cheap chinese rims?

These hubs will serve you well, minimize grief, and last through multiple sets of rims. If they are within your budget, DT 240s hubs are very nice.

cth

by cth

petepeterson wrote:The L-B 45mm rim profile is almost an exact clone of the current 404 firecrest

Did you mean 303 Firecrest?

saad

by saad

Hey Guys

Been through this whole thread. Originally liked the Light Bicycle rims, with no wholes, and essentially a Firecrest 404 profile, but I would prefer rims with a basalt braking surface. I emailed light bicycle, and they only have 45mm depth atm, I would prefer 56-60mm.

Looking for some wheels to finish my build. Looking for either 56 or 60mm, still deciding between tubs and clinchers.

I got a price from UAM/Hong Fu, and it was $530 for the clinchers. Deng Fu quoted $424. As far as I can tell, the rim is the same, they use the same spokes too, just that Deng Fu uses the Novatec Hubs, whereas UAM/Hong Fu used Poweway Hubs.

I was also looking at Yoeleo wheels. Their own branded ones look sweet - they have a 25mm profile, whereas the Hong/Deng Fu bulge out to 27mm, so Im guessing the Hong Fu ones are most similar to Zipp 404 Firecrests. However the Yoeleo have the option with no holes so you can run tubless, have ceramic bearings and sapim spokes. They are also slightly lighter, although funnily enough, the cheaper Yoeleo ones are lighter.

The Yoeleo ones also use straight pull hubs, which I'm guessing is better. However, the Yoeleos are $764 and $694, for the ones without and with holes in the rim respectively.

Yoeleo has the best site, and a tonne of youtube videos makes me trust them, despite not being able to find many reviews. But they are a lot more expensive than the Deng Fu's!

I really want to get tubulars, but they seem like such a pain! I would probably run Vittoria Pave's if I got some, as they seem to be fast yet tough.

Thoughts?

petepeterson

by petepeterson

I get that gluing a new tire on takes a bit more time and effort than just throwing a new tube in. That said I think it's worth doing the effort-benefit analysis if you care about the little things with your equipment. If you are on a very limited budget then the cost of tubulars should be considered I guess. If you just want the look and don't care about extra weight, slower tires, and aren't doing any significant descending then maybe CC's are the better choice. I find it odd that many people will expend massive amounts of time, $ and effort on equipment but then run a tire system that is fundamentally inferior in performance because of a little excess effort. I could have applied a layer of glue to a rim and base tape in the time to write this post for example. If you have a tire or two pre-stretched, some small brushes, and a tin of mastik on hand it's not a big deal (assuming cost isn't a deal breaker). When I first started riding tubulars I would have to go out and buy a new tire, little tube of glue, etc. Huge PITA. Accepting that flats happen and being prepared eliminates the frustration.

I should add that I actually really enjoy the tubular gluing process. You might too!

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Tubulars have other benefits, but good clinchers have lower rolling resistance, and are cheaper and more readily available. And since this thread is about cheap carbon wheels, I think cost concerns are a given.

I agree though that carbon clinchers aren't that great unless for TTs or show. Carbon tubulars are definitely better for racing.
formerly rruff...

Elrey

by Elrey

Same old battle between tubes and clinchers. Ride what ever makes sense for you and stop trying to convince everyboduly else, that you are right and they are wrong.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

I'm don't care what he rides but he asked for opinions. Also it's not the same old argument because we're talking carbon clinchers.

https://twitter.com/cipothelionking/status/460219233234739200

Elrey

by Elrey

Just to be perfectly clear, the guys on carbon clinchers don't have the upper body strength to stretch a tubular.

This is funny though.
I find the arguments the same. Over and over again. Sorry, i'm not trying to get the last word here. I like tubulars too, no doubt about that. I'll leave you to it then.

saad

by saad

Tubulars are sexy as hell, and thats still a decision Im making. Found a guy locally who glues tubs cheap,a nd said he can teach me how too, so thats good, and running a tyre like the pave will minimise my chance of flats etc. Also, the wife is only a phone call away ;)

However what I really want to know is whether to go for the DengFu, or the Yoeleo. Light Bike have said they can make with ceramic bearings etc, and te are still cheaper, but they are clincher only, and only 45 mm - would much prefer 56mm or 60mm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petepeterson

by petepeterson

I would recommend Dengfu as I have had good experiences with them on both frames I bought from them. No idea about YOLO.