Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chazmtb

by chazmtb

Received ems tracking. In the hands of the shipping gods now.

Miglior

by Miglior

the 45mm light bicycle ones?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chazmtb

by chazmtb

Yep. 4-7 days is the expected shipping time.

Miglior

by Miglior

you just gone for rims or built up wheels? how much?

chazmtb

by chazmtb

Built with bitex 11 spd shimano hubs and their pillar spokes. Regular price is 560 with novatec hubs. Mine came to 580 with this option. Shipped to U.S. was 660.33.

velo1990

by velo1990

Hi guys, anyone use Yoeleo 25mm wide U sharped tubular wheels?

http://www.yoeleobike.com/wide-tubular- ... -50mm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am gonna try out tubular u sharp wheels.

I am new to tubular version wheels.

Need some advice.

Thanks in advance.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

I haven't heard much about yoeleo. I'd check out the roadbikereview thread on chinese wheels.

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

A couple of WW members have purchased from Yoeleo, myself included. Service and quality have been quite good.

It is worth noting that the majority of Velo1990's posts have been about Yoeleo, so take to mean what you will.

Florida1980

by Florida1980

Built up Hong Fu AR40 clinchers 20/24 Chris King R45 front and Dt240s rear with DT spokes front/rear. Weight came in right at 1530 w/out skewers or rim tape. I dealt with "Vivian" (Vivian Zhang <sales06@hongfu-bikes.cn>). She is very prompt at returning emails each night. I believe the price totaled $460 for the rims with shipping to Florida and arrived w/in two weeks. Shipment tracking was dead on. Packaging was a little lackluster, the rims arrived fine but IMO could've used a little more packing material than a few thin sheets of wrap and rims stuffed in a standard rim/wheel box. Rims have been ridden on most everyday for about two weeks and have been trouble free. I am due to re-tension after their initial build up. I'm a Cat 3 road racer, have put them through their paces in the last two weeks. Braking seems fine, maybe even better than my Zipp 404 tubulars (pre-FC) rims I replaced for these and that's also with the same brake pads. Haven't had any true descending other than what we have here in Central Florida. IMO so far these are a great deal, will try to update in a few weeks/months or if I run into any issues. I'll be taking these to Six Gap in GA this year so we'll see how they maintain.

Kuota Kredo Ultra
HongFu AR40 front rim
C.K. R45 20 hole front radial w/spoke heads in
HongFu AR40 rear rim
HongFu AR40 rear rim brake track
DT 240s 24 hole rear @ 2 cross lacing

jepd1973

by jepd1973

i also recieved tracking info today :) Should arrive monday :)

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Florida1980, nice setup. You may have saw I also have the HongFu 40c that were built with Alchemy Hubs/CXRays. Weight no tape/skewers 1404g.

I run veloplugs and GP4000S tires.

Had a race and several longer training rides the past two weeks. Around 200miles so far, ride has been reallly good. They performed perfectly fine...the rider is the issue at this point of course.

Braking isn't as good at my Zipp 303 FC though. On some steeper descents, they don't grab/slow as well as the Zipp with the same Platinum Swisstop pads. Just pull a bit harder on the brakes, and all is good, wasn't worried every here in Florida also...nothing scary to ever worry about in these parts.

Bellcurve

by Bellcurve

Zigmeister wrote: I also have the HongFu 40c that were built with Alchemy Hubs/CXRays. Weight no tape/skewers 1404g.

I run veloplugs and GP4000S tires.

Had a race and several longer training rides the past two weeks. Around 200miles so far, ride has been reallly good. They performed perfectly fine...the rider is the issue at this point of course.

Braking isn't as good at my Zipp 303 FC though. On some steeper descents, they don't grab/slow as well as the Zipp with the same Platinum Swisstop pads. Just pull a bit harder on the brakes, and all is good, wasn't worried every here in Florida also...nothing scary to ever worry about in these parts.

The most important question is: are they faster (than what you were using before)? That's the whole point of buying these things from half way around the world, with little recourse if there's a problem, and having to deal with special pads and decreased breaking performance. What justifies all that hassle is if you can go faster. You sound equivocal on that point. Can you elaborate? Thanks,

Bellcurve

by Bellcurve

Florida1980 wrote:Built up Hong Fu AR40 clinchers 20/24 Chris King R45 front and Dt240s rear with DT spokes front/rear. ... Rims have been ridden on most everyday for about two weeks and have been trouble free. I am due to re-tension after their initial build up. I'm a Cat 3 road racer, have put them through their paces in the last two weeks. Braking seems fine, maybe even better than my Zipp 404 tubulars (pre-FC) rims I replaced for these and that's also with the same brake pads. Haven't had any true descending other than what we have here in Central Florida. IMO so far these are a great deal, will try to update in a few weeks/months or if I run into any issues. I'll be taking these to Six Gap in GA this year so we'll see how they maintain.

Hi Florida, same question for you as the one for Zigmeister, can you ride faster with them? Thanks,

Florida1980

by Florida1980

@ Bellcurve. I'm coming off pre-firecrest tubluar Zipp 404s, those always "felt" pretty fast. As for "speed," no faster OR SLOWER than I previously was. These wheels are stiffer than my Zipps; same lacing pattern, same hub combo, same brake pads, and same dt spokes albeit diff length. The tubulars handled well but for some not so prophetic reason these wheels seem to handle better while cornering. Most of our races in Florida are crits or some variation of a circuit that is dubbed a road race. They are a significant improvement over my Easton Circuits. If you read my post I mentioned these rims brake as good if not better than my Zipps IMO. PAY ATTENTION TO THIS PART: As for myself the concern wasn't about the speed but the convenience factor. I'm part of the working class with a family, it is far easier for me to replace a clincher and/or tube than strip and re-glue a tubular. I fully understand what I was buying into, Florida is for the most part flat. So I'm assuming if the rims break it will be the fault of the rider or a curb, at that point it's on me and no fault of the company right? I've only got about two weeks of training on them, they seem stiffer while sprinting or with out of the saddle hard acceleration climbing. As for now I'm perfectly content riding on these rims. They tensioned down fine, spoke holes had plenty of carbon from internal to external, nipples bedded in firmly and deep into the rim. I'm not overly concerned. Pay with Paypal and you have some limited buyer protection...buy on eBay and they usually favor the buyer.
For what it's worth:
http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_produc ... M-296.html
http://www.uamcycling.com/ens/?topclass ... 299&id=153

Bellcurve

by Bellcurve

Florida, thanks. I also had a set of pre-FC 404 tubulars, the whole experience was too complicated and time consuming (glueing tires, changing brake pads and having two groups of incompatible wheels and tires) so I got rid of them and went back to all clinchers. For my race bike I now have a pre-FC set of 404s with alloy rim, and honestly they seem just a bit faster than the tubbies (which might not be due to the wheels themselves but the glue job, tire and tube differences, who knows). At times the current 404s seem faster than my best alloy clinchers, particularly on windier days, at times my fitness blurs the difference.

I'm looking at the Chinese carbon wheels for a steel bike I have, not vintage, that I like a lot but would prefer if it was just a bit quicker. The wheels will be dedicated to it so no hassle changing brake pads back and forth. Right now its wheels, Torelli Bormio, have 27mm rims, 20/24 bladed spokes, wgt about 1620 g. The Chinese carbons could get the rotational weight down a bit and save a few watts from the aero profile, hopefully. Comparing the Bormios to my Zipp 404 clinchers isn't the same as the U shaped wheels because the Zipps don't save any weight and are the older toroidal shape. So I'm interested, primarily, in what people think about their Chinese U shaped wheels compared to alloy clinchers in the, roughly, 25 to 31 mm depth range (e.g, RaceXLite Aero, Easton Tempest/EA90, Neuvation R series, Am. Classic 420, etc). But the fact that your new wheels are no slower than your Zipps is encouraging.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com