Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tango45

by Tango45

@noahas, how long ago was this?

I pulled the trigger this morning on a 55mm/65mm wheelset, 24/28 spoke. Skewers include, but no pads or tape (they said $10 for four pads, but I got some from amazon, because I'm silly like that. They were highly rated (couple hundred reviews). I also got veloplugs. It's the weekend, so we'll see how long it takes... More to follow.

noahas

by noahas

Tango45 wrote:@noahas, how long ago was this?

I just received them a week ago.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmulligan

by dmulligan

@Tango45 carbon brake pads matter way more than aluminium. Which ones did you get from Amazon? I got their pads but to be honest I've yet to try them. I've tried Reynolds' and Swiss Stop Black Prince. The jury is still out but I think I prefer the BP pads as they don't squeal like the Reynolds Cryo Blue do. The Reynolds had slightly better modulation. The wrong pads won't stop well or ruin your rims.

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

Tango45

by Tango45

@dmulligan, I got Velochampion pads. 4-point-something out of 5 stars on Amazon.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

@Tango45 You'll have to tell us how they work out. It would be great to have a source of pads that cost 1/10th as much.

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

Wiggle lifeline carbon blue are working really well for me on 3 different carbon wheelsets. 6€ for a set of 4.

tomycs

by tomycs

I've found a new favourite, in the Giant pads for carbon wheels, to the point that I'm using them on both my bikes and both my farsports wheelsets. They don't do wonders in the wet, actually most everything I've tried feels somewhat similar in terms of wet stopping power (Campa reds, Reynolds blue, Lifeline) but I do like the, "modulation" let's call it, or feel, in the dry, a lot more than I do for the others. They're not cheap and can't really comment on how long they will last.

skott80

by skott80

Hi guys I've been using Yoeleo wheels with supplied pads, living in uk I ride in all weather, yes you do notice a slight difference in stopping distant but this is not by massive amounts to cause concerns.
You just adapt over time.

Scott.

terencehatten

by terencehatten

HI Guys -

Just got a pair of Yishun wide 80mm tubulars laced up to custom mack track hubs. Question, What is the smallest tire I can use on these? I've just glued on some 23mm tires and they don't go all the way to the edges of the rim. Seems ominous.

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

orange77 wrote:
jrmynthn wrote:
orange77 wrote:
jrmynthn wrote:
orange77 wrote:Hi,

Anyone using yishunbike produts, more precisely the SLR series from them?

http://www.yishunbike.com/2016-slr-seri ... -1399.html

Thanks

I've been riding on a set of the Yishun 38/50 for the past two seasons. Been a very positive experience so far. My full review of them is posted here

Hi,

Thanks for the input. So, no problems so far?. I might put the trigger on the wheels :)

Two seasons later they are still going strong and have had no issues with them.

I have ordered them with the DT Hubs and some other parts on their website. Just waiting to be ready for shipping.

Thanks

Any update? how's it going?

cth6

by cth6

trillo1111 wrote:Just received a new 50x23mm U shaped wheel, sapim cx-ray spokes, and novatec f482sl hub, from Rae at CarbonCycle. It's the 23mm wide that was posted a couple pages back, with a little 6 degree angle to the braking surface. Internally it is 16mm wide. This is a replacement for a 40mmx27mm U shaped wheel that I bought 2 years ago and has proved to be a great wheel (only reason for replacement was a car accident - no quality control issues). Compared to my 40mmx27mm front, this 50x23 is a bit thinner but not much (ie. not 4mm) - as at the width at the rim bead on the 27mm is 25.4mm (vs 23 on the new one) - they both are wider just below the brake track, and 16.9mm inner width (vs 16mm on the new one). I was thinking this would be a similar combo to the way enve does their wheels - slightly narrower and deeper in the rear. My new one is apparently tubeless ready - but I'm not planning on running tubeless (at least till I wear out my stock pile of vittoria open corsa 23's). Head's up - I can't use veloplugs on the new wheel - holes are a little small and the bed of the rim has too much curve for them to fit tight, so I'm using ritchey rim tape. Rim shape is nice U shaped - much nicer in my opinion compared to the 25mm shape SFO423 chose.
Once again, I contacted Rae directly (as what I wanted wasn't available/listed on e-bay) and had him build the exact wheel I wanted - while also saving some $$ as we didn't have to pay the e-bay fees. Communication was always very friendly, clear and immediate - taking into account the time change. Shipping was crazy fast to Canada (8 days to my door once it was built - which took less than 1 week as they had to wait for the matte finish I wanted), and I didn't even have to pay duty or tax (thanks Rae!). I also got a couple back up spokes included. Item arrived and quality looks impressive once again (sorry - can't figure how to load pics here - yes, I'm technically challenged). It will be a bit before I have a bike ready to ride again (my Felt F2 52cm was torn apart in the accident - so if anyone has a deal on a comparable replacment frame...) , so no review on ride quality for a little while.
As far as weight - rear wheel came it at 804g - which is 20g less than estimated. As far as SFO423 mentioning something about his weight being 1 pound more than his C24 - I have to ask - are the C24 tubulars? Otherwise, I'd be shocked - as CarbonCycle weights in my experience are pretty accurate. And the weight attributable to the 23-25 tire size change should only be about 20g.

Just wanted to check in to see how these wheels are working for you. Looking at something similar with either 50x23 or 50x25 and going to be running my GP4000 23s clinchers.

Tango45

by Tango45

Update on my adventure with Light-Bicycle: We've communicated several times since I placed my order, usually me just checking in because I'm excited/impatient. They have (or were) sticking with their 20-day estimate and I was asking about status before that time was up.

They reached out the other day to tell me that the 65mm rim failed QC. It was, as they explained when I first contacted them before ordering, a new product (not even on their website yet) and they were still working on it/perfecting it/making quality reliable. They said that I could wait for them to build (and QC) another 65mm or change the order. I chose, after some discussion with them and deliberation on my end, to change to the 55mm rim. They had said that this product was "more stable" (quote because that was their words and I don't want to try and interpret that statement when they might have meant something else - you know, language barriers exist) and they'd been making it for much longer with consistent quality results. So, now I'm getting 55mm front and rear. They said it would take another 10 days to build up that rear wheel.

So, while I wish I had my wheels now, I'm ok with waiting a bit longer for QC reasons. I'm also happy with their honesty/forthrightness and open communication in informing me of the QC fail, etc. Also, once I made the switch, I had the $8 difference refunded within hours. Interpret this interaction as you wish.

More to follow...

orange77

by orange77

jrmynthn wrote:
orange77 wrote:
jrmynthn wrote:
orange77 wrote:
jrmynthn wrote:I've been riding on a set of the Yishun 38/50 for the past two seasons. Been a very positive experience so far. My full review of them is posted here

Hi,

Thanks for the input. So, no problems so far?. I might put the trigger on the wheels :)

Two seasons later they are still going strong and have had no issues with them.

I have ordered them with the DT Hubs and some other parts on their website. Just waiting to be ready for shipping.

Thanks

Any update? how's it going?

Hi,

I've received all the parts. Comunication was A+ as well shipping and shipping costs.

So far I've put maybe 300kms on the wheels and on the road handlebar and, nothing to report, lets see how they hold in the future.
Also, I was expecting a lot worse braking but that wasn't the case. I say they brake as good as my older budget wheels with Shimano 5800 brakes and Swissstop Flash Pro Green Alloy Rim Brake Pads. I'm using the same brakes but with the pads they provided (and they were kind to offer a second pair of brake pads).
Wheels are 56mm height, 26mm wide and on cross winds we really feel the steering fight but I guess that’s normal with deep section rims and strong winds, although I've never experienced top brand wheels to compare.
I've also changed the tires and the tubes to Michelin PR4 and Continental light tubes and these set with the wheels resulted in a more comfortable ride than the one I had before. I guess it’s due to the nature of carbon fiber. Sprinting, rolling and going up-hill I'm very happy with them, but as I mention before, lets see how they turn out in the future.

Cheers
:thumbup:

Tango45

by Tango45

Further update: Light-Bicycle said it shipped on the 19th. EMS tracking shows:

2016-08-20 14:12:17 FuJianShengShaMenShi XIAMEN Despatch from Sorting Center

USPS is showing tracking as well, but both show no movement since the 20th. Oh, Chinese shipping, how I love thee.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tango45

by Tango45

Okay, so they came in today. They screwed around in customs for a bit, but here they are. The box was undamaged, the wheels were secured with that packing foam stuff that's not styrofoam. All together, no damage. They actually look great. I got them with the Light-Bicycle decals because I wanted something, but I didn't want to put on a main market brand stickers (these aint Zipps). I checked the truing and they were straight and the spoke tension seemed legit.

These were the hardest wheels ever to put tires on. Seriously difficult. I'm running Conti GP4000 S II in 25mm and they almost broke me. Not sure what the deal is there. I'm running veloplugs and valve extenders. Also, the velochampion brake pads. I've got to say, these things are LOUD. When I brake, the whole neighborhood knows. I can admit that the wheels and the pads are new, so that might be a factor, but... I really don't see a problem with brake performance, per se, however. They stop me, I just need to brace for the sound of someone cutting a cat to death. Also, the hubs (I assume it's the hubs, but I'll admit it could be something else in my drivetrain) are loud. There's just a lot of noise coming from there - not just while coasting. I opted for the Powerway R13 (read: cheapest) hub option, so I can see how that's on me for the choices I make. Not a problem, but worth noting.

I only got in a 15-minute ride so far and, well, they're wheels. I don't want to say they're faster because that's probably psychosomatic at this point. They did not, however, spontaneously explode on me, come wrapped in burlap and rat crap, or turn to dust upon unboxing. So far, so good.

Of note: apparently my rear valve stem is longer than I thought it was. I'll fix, but it's going to be a wrestling match with the tire again...

Also, first time posting pics for me. If they're screwed up, let me know.