Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bellcurve

by Bellcurve

Miglior wrote:just to update on my problem, the seller has sent out a brand new rim straight away no fuss

Is he paying for the rebuild? He should.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chazmtb

by chazmtb

I have got bad news. After a ride today of 39 miles and 1900 ft of climbing, the front wheel brake tract has developed a few slight bubbles. I'll contact light bicycle but not looking good.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Thanks for the update chazmtb. That's not encouraging news! Please keep us updated, thank you.

I wonder if anyone else who ordered from Light-Bicycle experienced the same thing or similar?
I know that LB has been mostly the 'go to' for the mtb crowd seeking light rims for disc brake, but this is a different situation with a rim-brake wheel.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

My thoughts exactly pren. I was very close to ordering a set of their new rims but this concerns me. That's basically immediate failure.

x 2 on the keep us updated.

chazmtb

by chazmtb

I will take a picture and send it to them. I am surprised because I would have thought the rear would develop the bubbling. I used the reynolds chryo blue pads which are carbon specific pads. There shouldn't have been a problem because of the pads. I am so disappointed. The wheels looks so good on my wilier. Hey. I took a chance. This is a known problem with Chinese carbon rims. The hubs have been nice though.

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

chazmtb wrote:This is a known problem with Chinese carbon rims.

This is a bit of a generalization. There are plenty of people out there running Chinese carbon rims who have not experienced this. The quality has definitely improved over the years. Sorry you ended up being the guinea pig for this particular rim. Hopefully the vendor will get you sorted out.

chazmtb

by chazmtb

You are right. Not all have these problems. I took a chance.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

It just sucks that the product testing and quality control is lacking on new products even from established vendors. Light-bicycle has a good track record on the MTB rims so I am sure Nancy will take care of you. If not you can count me out on these.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

chazmtb wrote:I will take a picture and send it to them. I am surprised because I would have thought the rear would develop the bubbling. I used the reynolds chryo blue pads which are carbon specific pads. There shouldn't have been a problem because of the pads. I am so disappointed. The wheels looks so good on my wilier. Hey. I took a chance. This is a known problem with Chinese carbon rims. The hubs have been nice though.

May you share some of those picture here? Also, if you don't mind, may we get some pictures of the brake track without the problems? Thanks!

sspring

by sspring

Ok, finally got just about everything set up on my new ride and got to take the LB45's for a spin. Weight came out to 1390g for the wheelset and 14.1lb for the bike build. Got a FM066SL. I can't swap the wheels onto my toher rides as this is 11 speed. I guess I could but I'm not into swapping out a cassette just to give a review.

I don't have the wheelset running tubeless just yet. I heard it was best to use tubes for a few rides until the wheels stretch and soften a bit to make it easier to seal.

Even without tubeless just yet the wheelset is very impressive. stiff and they roll very nice down the road. Obviously due to the low weight they accelerate well. They are surprisingly stable in crosswinds. I have ridden several V shape aero wheels in various sizes and these are by a large margin the best. I can defiantly feel the aero advantage of the FC shape going to work. Very happy with the purchase. If they prove to be reliable what an incredible purchase. Awesome wheels.

Can't wait to get it set up for tubeless and rid the wheels of an additional 200g rotating weight!! Right now my hands are sore from wrestling with the Hutchinson tubeless tires.

I am running Zipp Cork pads so hopefully I will get no brake trac issues

I will get you pictures when i get a chance and its not raining. Honestly pics are kinda hard to really show you the shape.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Keep us updated sspring. It's nice to hear positive reviews as these are new product and I know a few people, myself included, are anxious to see how they do after chazmtb's experience.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Thanks for the feedback sspring! Keep us posted about the braking performance of these things. Since you're providing pictures, may I request one on the brake surface? Thanks!

chazmtb

by chazmtb

thanks for the update sspring. Looks like yours and mine came out to be the same weight. I don't know if I should have used cork pads, which talking to the LBS, saying that cork pads are the only pads that should be used for carbons. OK. But I still don't know if it would have made a difference in my case. I used reynolds blue, which is also leaving a good amount of blue residue on the brake tract. I don't want to shell out 60 bucks to try cork pads though. Anyway, good to see yours is working for you. I have sent an email to LB with attached pictures. Let's see what they say. Here are some pictures of what I am talking about

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14882671@N02/9904621095/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14882671@N02/9904687784/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by chazmtb on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miglior

by Miglior

wow sorry to hear that dude!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sspring

by sspring

i'm getting a little wear on the brake trac too. personally i think its just the black top finish coming off on the trac area. looking at the wheels closely in the sun they seem to have a top coat of something. its not a true UD Matte finish. more like matte black. it doesn't seem to be CF. time will tell.

the wheels are truly awesome in performance so i hope this is a non issue in terms of brake trac. time will tell