Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trillo1111

by trillo1111

Hi Goldilocks,

I bought a set of 40mm clincher, same profile - very good experience. However, I went with the upgraded hubs (a291 f482 - better reviews and have proven to be super smooth) and spokes (sapim cx-ray) - I worked out the slightly custom wheelset directly with Rae from carbon-cycle and got a really good deal (because it wasn't listed on e-bay, and I paid with Paypal and he agreed to honour all the same warranty terms listed on e-bay). So my recommendation would be e-mail Rae directly at carboncycles@163.com, see if you can maybe upgrade the spokes and hubs and see how little extra it costs. In terms of reliability and durability, it was a no brainer for me. If you have any other questions or want/need photos of mine - send me an e-mail at trillot at hotmail. (I'm comp tech challenged and couldn't figure how to post pictures here).

goldielox

by goldielox

i thought of going with just rims and building up a set with dt or king hubs but for the price of the full build i can always strip them down at some future point and do it then. i probably will email rae and see what they can do. now have to figure out what tub i want to run. with clinchers that was a no problem to figure but tubs thats something new

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Hello guys
After I saw the post here about Rae from carboncycles, I sent him a mail about some wheelset prices.

Now I am riding on my Token C28a wheelset. XC279 rims, PSR1422 spokes and Token Arsenal hubs.
1550 grams with rim tape.

I want to buy a second, more aero clincher wheels where I can use for my flat rides. (Even on the flattest rides, I usualy have 10meter/km attitude) I am 65kg and 183cm.

So for now, I decided to go for this set;
40mm front + 40mm rear + 86mm rear wheels with Novatec a291-f482 hubs and Sapim Cx-ray spokes.

With that setup, I will have a light(ish) set for hilly rides and also for windy days. When weather is more calm, depending to route I can go for 86mm rear.

Any comments or others?

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

deleted
Last edited by Fourthbook on Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

Anyone have firsthand experience with open mold, shallow 'climbing' rims as less costly alternatives to Enve 1.25, Ax SRT 24, etc? Are rims like Gigantex WH133 or WH 105, HongFu HF R-22T or Far Sport FSL24-TM sufficiently stiff and reliable for moderate use (aka: average rider weight, non-race, good conditions)? What other options are there?
Last edited by Fourthbook on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilier Cento1 SR

eric

by eric

I've a set of FarSport FSL24-TM from a couple years back. Built by FarSport on their "hubsmith" hubs. Weight 960g.

The rims' braking surfaces are the truest of any carbom rim I've got including Reynolds. They're much stiffer than I thought they'd be. They're easily at stiff as the 38mm deep clinchers I have from FarSport.

On the down side, in production the epoxy did not fully saturate the last layer of carbon on the rim bed everywhere on the rims. So some small pieces of carbon have come loose when I have removed tires. It seems pretty minor structurally.

I've only ridden these for uphill-only races (I still ride the descent but it's not part of the race). I don't use them for non-racing riding other than to test them out. Mostly because I am not willing to deal with tubulars for training. But also, for normal riding, wheels that light don't seem like they'd be durable. That's just my perception, not based on actually doing it myself.
I also think that except for uphill only races, aero rims are more beneficial than super light rims.

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

Thanks, Eric. Already have Enve 3.4s for daily use; so I want an ultra light shallow profile carbon tubular rim that I can lace w/CXrays to a set of Extralite SX/SLX hubs I already have to yield a reliable sub 1000 gram wheelset.
Wilier Cento1 SR

trillo1111

by trillo1111

I know people have been asking for long term reviews of carbon-clinchers, and while this isn't a long term review, more a short term review with a good test of braking performance. When I bought mine (40mm x 27mm wide carbon clincher with basalt brake surface from Rae at carbon-cycles in May 2014) I was concerned about braking on long downhills - and in particular one of my favourite rides - hwy 242 in Oregon (I only get down here 2-3 times a year, but it's awesome!). Back home, Nelson, BC, I knew I wouldn't have to worry about this issue, so figured, worst case, I'd take a 2nd set of wheels if I was doing a big downhill ride with lots of braking (ie. 242). Finally got down to Bend and rode from the MacKenzie River side, to the Observatory at the top and back down. It's about 21 miles up and 3,500 feet, but the fun part is about 8 miles in the middle which is filled with hairpin turns where cars have to slow to 15 or 20mph - plus no shoulder and narrow road, so you have to be careful of RV's over the center line. Pretty good test I figure - though I was nervous. I should also mention, I'm only 140lbs, so if you're 180 or 200lbs, take it with a grain of salt, and also, I've been riding a while (DH, XC, Road - but I'm no cat 1 or 2 racer) and know not to ride my brakes, particularly on carbon rims (I've heard shorter spurts is better, with time in between to cool off). I rode with the blue pads on front, and black prince on the rear (Rae said black prince were ok to use, they are more powerful and apparently generate less heat, but I figured if he was wrong I'd only toast one rim). Conclusion? Wheels survived, no issues at all (yeah!). Granted, aluminum would have been a bit better (I've ridden down it about 5 times on aluminum rims), but no fade, no melting, no bulging or explosions. I wasn't in a pack, didn't have any traffic in front to slow down, road was bone dry, but wasn't going 100% as still a little cautious about fade or explosions. So, different circumstances could lead to different results. But for now, unless I head to the Alps, I'm not to worried about these exploding from braking. Also, I'm running latex tubes with veloplugs and veloflex 23mm tires pumped to 95psi - not a single flat (or explosion). PS - if you're near central Oregon - 2 classic rides - Hwy 242 (particularly great early season (late May early June) when it's closed to cars open to bikes) and Crater Lake. Just thought I'd pass this on.

LouisN

by LouisN

Anybody can reach Rae from CarbonCycles ?
NOthing on his Ebay seller account, and doesn't answer mails .... :noidea:

Louis :)

YmOeU

by YmOeU

Hope he still works there

LouisN

by LouisN

I just received an answer from Rae.
Seems like it's my IP address that causes problems. HIs seller account is blocked or something.
Ok, I changed browser and everything is ok..... :noidea:

Think I'll browse Eaby thru this other one in the future.

lOuis :)

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Nice review...Trillo, I know the road well. His review speaks volumes to me since this road is a perfect test in my mind.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

Thuekr

by Thuekr

Soon the waiting is over WU6C Yishunbike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Yesterday my friends and I ordered 3 sets of wheels from Rae, carbon-cycle.

2x 40mm, 27mm wide clincher set and one 56mm, 27mm wide clincher set.
Rims will be like;
*UD matte black rims,
*Novatec A291/F482SL (Shimano 10/11 Speed) - Black
*Sapim CX-Ray Spokes and Nipples - Black
*20 spokes front, radial
*24 spokes rear, 2x on both sides
*Rim tapes

56mm set was ready today for the post, but because they didn't have proper length of spoke for NDS we will wait a bit more. I didn't want to have radial on NDS, so maybe we both will get 56mm rear.

I will write a long review after I get them, but so far, the communication with Rae was perfect.