Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tharmor

by tharmor

Posted for Rothers ::

tharmor

by tharmor

HongFu is also known as UAM Cycling, and they claim to use the EPS moulding process, but then doesn't explain what that is. Can anyone school me on this process? I think it has to do with foam moulding, but don't want to be incorrect. Also, they claim to have moulded spoke holes a la Enve. Can that be true?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tharmor

by tharmor

This is what I've found (not from HongFu) ::

Making a carbon fibre frame involves compressing layers of carbon weave and epoxy resin into a mould to get the desired shape. Traditionally, inflatable bladders are used inside the frame to force the material into the mould, but because the shape of a bladder can’t be finely controlled there can sometimes be wrinkles or inconsistent thickness in the finished frame. To avoid this, we use expanded polystyrene – essentially the same stuff that helmets are made from. We can make EPS formers to the exact shape that we want before laminating carbon fibre around them and placing the whole lot in a mould. When heated, the individual beads in the EPS formers swell. Out in the open they’d reach 40 times their original size, but constrained by the mould they exert pressure on the inside of the carbon fibre, pushing it into exactly the desired shape with consistent thickness and no wrinkles. The result is a lighter, stiffer and more consistent final product.

Also, actual photos have emerged from HongFu of their Aero 56 wheel, the dimensions of which were shown earlier in the thread ::

They don't look half bad. No word yet on pricing. I've noticed that FarSports is much better about answering inquiries than HongFu.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Nancy from Honfu has just quoted me $285 plus shipping for the new 56mm tubular. If I understand her message correctly, only clinchers in 56 are available right now.

tharmor

by tharmor

Weird. Nancy just quoted me ::

$435 for a pair of the clinchers @86mm depth
$345 for a pair of the tubulars @86mm depth

tharmor

by tharmor

More found on HongFu's Alibaba page for the 56mm Aero wheel ::

3k/UD matte bike rim full carbon road bike wheelset
Specifications:
model number
HF-W56-T/C
Material
Toray T700 carbon fiber
Size
700C
Finish
3k/UD matte finish
Spoke holes:
16-32H
Weight(rims)
350±10g
warranty 1 year normal use
weight(wheelset) T:1305g C:1694g
additional information
Finishing
3K/UD
depth Style
40/56/86cm
spoke CN
hub Edge(black/red)
powerway hubs
sealed bearing
Nipples blass
Supply skewers
brake pads
Suit for
Road Bicycle
Sample order
Available
Packing
Exporting Packing(bubble bag and carton)

Liggero

by Liggero

I´m sorry but, aren't carbon clinchers a truly bad choice?

I thoughtit was already well explained that carbon clincher rims are as heavy as aluminium, but with worse braking performance and with issuues of exploding tubes, right? Do they bring any advantage apart from aesthetics? isn't it better to use carbon tubulars or alloy clinchers?
Happy Trails !!!

kulivontot

by kulivontot

At 45+mm, carbon clinchers are lighter than alloy. But yeah, it's mostly to look cool.

tharmor

by tharmor

I agree 100% with Liggero. Nevertheless, once disc brakes become universally accepted, a carbon clincher will be unbeatable for its convenience, aero properties, and looks :-]

Liggero

by Liggero

Ok, I thought I was missing something. Don't get my wrong, I´m a poser too.

Anyways, it's very interesting what someone already commented: the U-shape goes againts the distribution of load when tightening the spokes, seems like v-shape is better for that, but less aero... Perhaps those rims filled up with foam (EPS) are better for U-shape rims? seems logical, as the EPS will help to keep the U-shape.
Happy Trails !!!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Liggero wrote:I´m sorry but, aren't carbon clinchers a truly bad choice?

I thoughtit was already well explained that carbon clincher rims are as heavy as aluminium, but with worse braking performance and with issuues of exploding tubes, right? Do they bring any advantage apart from aesthetics? isn't it better to use carbon tubulars or alloy clinchers?

I used to agree with you, but have found out first hand that things have changed and they're a remarkably valid choice.

Perhaps some catching up?
viewtopic.php?f=113&t=108774
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

In my book it is still much better to use proper tubular rims and tyres regardless of whether you'd use alloy or carbon rims.
Clinchers have their disadvantages and some minor plusses, carbon clinchers OTOH have by their very nature far more minuses than plusses by their very pedigree.

That said, I'm still not sure what this open mold thing is all about and how it is any different from all other clinchers. And if so, in what way?

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Liggero

by Liggero

prendrefeu wrote:

I used to agree with you, but have found out first hand that things have changed and they're a remarkably valid choice.

Perhaps some catching up?
viewtopic.php?f=113&t=108774" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I already read all that thread too. I have a 225€ wheelset of 1270g. clinchers. I still don't get the reasons why it's a better choice carbon clinchers. Hope someone can iluminate me.

Still, I think wider rims and 25 tires have lots of advantages. Looking forward to build me ones in the future. I'd like to go carbon, cause it looks much better, but i can't see the advantages, apart from aesthetics. Also, I like in a very wet place. If I go back to Spain I may build a carbon set. But still, spain is very hilly, cdon't want tubulars and i don't want tube explosions.
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

Update: those 38 rims from farsports look sweet indeed. although they seems to be narrow and not U-shape. But yes, now i get the point. thanks a lot.

Update 2: weight is not bad for a 38, but I guess they will deform in long descents being so light, and they are narrow and not u-shape. I think the pacenti alloy is a much better choice at 426g per rim...
Happy Trails !!!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Sorry, they don't deform on long descents... unless you're holding the brakes the entire time? :noidea:
They're quite good, they don't deform, they're very strong, and they're much better than you would otherwise think. :)

The Pacenti are very nice rims, but that's another matter.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com