Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

He's in no rush to get them back.

The nipples failed (snapped off). He's getting all of them replaced with brass nipples.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phourgenres

by phourgenres

Got some 60x25s from usu wheels aka superteam. Im getting a lot of flex in my rims when i apply some good torque out of the saddle. I had them built with dt30s and sapim. Theyre true, so i assume its the flexing in the carbon. Has anyone else noticed this with their chinese rims?

orange77

by orange77

Hi,

Anyone using yishunbike produts, more precisely the SLR series from them?

http://www.yishunbike.com/2016-slr-seri ... -1399.html

Thanks

Marin

by Marin

phourgenres wrote:Got some 60x25s from usu wheels aka superteam. Im getting a lot of flex in my rims when i apply some good torque out of the saddle. I had them built with dt30s and sapim. Theyre true, so i assume its the flexing in the carbon. Has anyone else noticed this with their chinese rims?

You won't get any flex from a 60x25 carbon rim unless it's under 350g or you're over 130kg with no fat.

Sapim which and how many?

phourgenres

by phourgenres

im 69kg. theyre 1790g for the pair, so that puts the rims over 500g each! 20/24. No sure what the issue is. Either my rear triangle is flexing, albeit I have one of those nashbar carbon frames which is a fair stiff bike. Or, my spoke tension was properly tensioned.

btw, the reason i know theyre flexing is because Im forced to pull my brake tracks at least 5mm out from normal proximity. Otherwise, my brake starts rubbing when Im out of the saddle climbing.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

phourgenres wrote:btw, the reason i know theyre flexing is because Im forced to pull my brake tracks at least 5mm out from normal proximity. Otherwise, my brake starts rubbing when Im out of the saddle climbing.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Debunking_Wheel_Stiffness_3449.html

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

sfo423

by sfo423

Just picked up 38x25 clinchers from Rae at Carbon-Cycle (eight days to my door in CA). Plenty of clearance on a TCR Advanced SL.

What is everyone running for pressure? 25mm GP 4000's and prefer some comfort / traction vs. firmer set up. 160# rider. First ride tomorrow.

sfo423

by sfo423

A couple quick thoughts on the 38x25 clinchers from Carbon-Cycle as they compare to my 9000 C24's. After three rides and ~125 miles:

The carbon rims w/25mm GP4000s are noticeably heaver than the C24's w/23mm tires. At least a pound or so. Maybe more.

The C24's are much "snappier" on acceleration than the carbon rims. In fact, the C24's "feel" stiffer.

The brakes (with supplied pads) are really good (in dry) on the carbon rims. Surprisingly so. No squealing or overheating brake track on long descents.

Cross winds / blustery conditions on coast here are no problem for 38mm rims.

On rollers and flats, the carbon rims roll and hold momentum much better than the C24's. No comparison.

The carbon wheels w/25mm tires at 90 psi are very comfortable and good cornering on fast descents.

Although the carbon wheels are so much heaver than the C24's, I feel like they are faster on climbs under ~25 minutes as long as grade stays under ~8%. If I were doing a long climb with >8%, the C24's would probably be better.

I like the new wheels, but I am not terribly impressed. For $500, no complaints. If I were to buy some name brand wheels, I'd want to demo first before committing $1500+. If I were to start over, I'd probably go w/a 38x23.

glepore

by glepore

Re-the above...Exactly as I would put it, regarding 50mmx25 open molds. The only thing I would add is that I've hit some serious holes with both sets of 50mm open molds, and they are hella stout, in true, not dinged. Running 25's at 85 psi. They are bricks though. For climbing, I much prefer my early 2000's LEW tubies. C24 second. I use the C24's as an allpurpose crappy weather wheel, or for rides where I'm not comfortable with the carbon clinchers on descents and not familiar enough with the surfaces to want to run the LEW's, which aren't as stout for obvious reasons as the open molds.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

orange77 wrote:Hi,

Thanks

I've been riding on a set of the Yishun 38/50 for the past two seasons. Been a very positive experience so far. My full review of them is posted here

orange77

by orange77

jrmynthn wrote:
orange77 wrote:Hi,

Thanks

I've been riding on a set of the Yishun 38/50 for the past two seasons. Been a very positive experience so far. My full review of them is posted here

Hi,

Thanks for the input. So, no problems so far?. I might put the trigger on the wheels :)

noyade233

by noyade233

I purchased a set of 40mm clinchers (27mm wide), basalt brake rim in UD matte from carboncycles last November. They have been great but I have only had a chance to put about 600 miles on them so far.

A few days ago I decided to try some new black prince pads on my next ride. After the ride, I noticed a few of the pictured streaks on the brake track on both the front and back rims. At first I thought it might be residue from the new pads on the brake track, but had no luck cleaning it off. It seems like the new pads had wore away the basalt brake track surface in spots.

I'm not blaming the black prince pads since it was more of my fault. While descending a 1.5 mile hill at 25-30mph, a bumblebee struck my helmet, getting stuck in one of the helmets vent slots and proceeded to take out its rage on my head. Lets say I came to a stop faster then I ever had before so I could get my helmet off. I didn't notice the streaks at that time but I'm sure that's when they occurred.

The rims seem fine other then the worn streaks. I didn't notice any bulging or irregularities but I figured I would get a second opinion on the picture. Is this something I need to worry about?

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I've got that in a couple of places on my Carbon-Cycle rims. I think it happened on a grimy, wet ride. It's been like that for nearly a year and I've noticed no ill effects.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

trillo1111

by trillo1111

Just received a new 50x23mm U shaped wheel, sapim cx-ray spokes, and novatec f482sl hub, from Rae at CarbonCycle. It's the 23mm wide that was posted a couple pages back, with a little 6 degree angle to the braking surface. Internally it is 16mm wide. This is a replacement for a 40mmx27mm U shaped wheel that I bought 2 years ago and has proved to be a great wheel (only reason for replacement was a car accident - no quality control issues). Compared to my 40mmx27mm front, this 50x23 is a bit thinner but not much (ie. not 4mm) - as at the width at the rim bead on the 27mm is 25.4mm (vs 23 on the new one) - they both are wider just below the brake track, and 16.9mm inner width (vs 16mm on the new one). I was thinking this would be a similar combo to the way enve does their wheels - slightly narrower and deeper in the rear. My new one is apparently tubeless ready - but I'm not planning on running tubeless (at least till I wear out my stock pile of vittoria open corsa 23's). Head's up - I can't use veloplugs on the new wheel - holes are a little small and the bed of the rim has too much curve for them to fit tight, so I'm using ritchey rim tape. Rim shape is nice U shaped - much nicer in my opinion compared to the 25mm shape SFO423 chose.
Once again, I contacted Rae directly (as what I wanted wasn't available/listed on e-bay) and had him build the exact wheel I wanted - while also saving some $$ as we didn't have to pay the e-bay fees. Communication was always very friendly, clear and immediate - taking into account the time change. Shipping was crazy fast to Canada (8 days to my door once it was built - which took less than 1 week as they had to wait for the matte finish I wanted), and I didn't even have to pay duty or tax (thanks Rae!). I also got a couple back up spokes included. Item arrived and quality looks impressive once again (sorry - can't figure how to load pics here - yes, I'm technically challenged). It will be a bit before I have a bike ready to ride again (my Felt F2 52cm was torn apart in the accident - so if anyone has a deal on a comparable replacment frame...) , so no review on ride quality for a little while.
As far as weight - rear wheel came it at 804g - which is 20g less than estimated. As far as SFO423 mentioning something about his weight being 1 pound more than his C24 - I have to ask - are the C24 tubulars? Otherwise, I'd be shocked - as CarbonCycle weights in my experience are pretty accurate. And the weight attributable to the 23-25 tire size change should only be about 20g.

sfo423

by sfo423

Nope, clinchers. These are heavy 25's. Not complaining, just sayin'................

trillo1111 wrote:As far as weight - rear wheel came it at 804g - which is 20g less than estimated. As far as SFO423 mentioning something about his weight being 1 pound more than his C24 - I have to ask - are the C24 tubulars? Otherwise, I'd be shocked - as CarbonCycle weights in my experience are pretty accurate. And the weight attributable to the 23-25 tire size change should only be about 20g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com