Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

deermatt

by deermatt

I imagine that price is for rims only? Hongfu has the 40mm deep 27mm wide rims in stock, but they are $468 shipped , rims only.

mentok

by mentok

tharmor wrote:ICAN
Peggy

care to share some contact details?

tharmor wrote:from ICAN, the cost has been confirmed at $430 +shipping for the complete wheelset.

that is a very competitive price. keen to see photos when they arrive so all can be confirmed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andrewspearns

by andrewspearns

DengFu told me that UD clincher is only in stock as well, and the photo they sent me is the same as the second image you posted Tharmor. The correspondence has been slow, I am going to contact Ican now to see how they respond. I haven't been able to get a weight from DengFu. I see ICAN posted the weight on VeloBuild

tharmor

by tharmor

care to share some contact details?

peggy@icanbikes.com

Also, I inquired about the model of Novatec Hubs, and she responded with this info ::

We use Novatec hub model number front: A291SB; rear :F482SB.

FPSDavid

by FPSDavid

I talked to one of the sales people from ICAN on Skype.

They said $290 for just the pair of rims (+$59 shipping to the USA) = $349

tharmor

by tharmor

The dilemma I'm having is whether to go with the wheelset straight from ICAN, built with Novatec hubs and CN spokes.

OR

Just grab the rims from ICAN, and then place an order through bikehubstore for the better spokes, nipples, and (arguably) better hubs.

The price difference to do it one way or the other is actually quite a lot. ICAN sent me an invoice for the build the way I want it totalling $519 USD (includes all Paypal fees and shipping to the USA).

If I go the wheel build route, I'm looking at closer to ~$650 USD

Is the second option worth the extra $130? This also means that either I build the wheelset myself, or I have to shell out more to have it built.

Any advice would be appreciated.

mentok

by mentok

i always opt to build myself because then i know (not hope) that the build is good. you're not really saving money if the build is crap.

alternatively, you could ask for them to just send the parts un-built (rims, hubs, spokes, nipples) for the same price and then build them yourself on arrival. someone did that from farsport recently, seems like a good idea...

FPSDavid

by FPSDavid

tharmor wrote:The dilemma I'm having is whether to go with the wheelset straight from ICAN, built with Novatec hubs and CN spokes.

OR

Just grab the rims from ICAN, and then place an order through bikehubstore for the better spokes, nipples, and (arguably) better hubs.

The price difference to do it one way or the other is actually quite a lot. ICAN sent me an invoice for the build the way I want it totalling $519 USD (includes all Paypal fees and shipping to the USA).

Is the second option worth the extra $130? This also means that either I build the wheelset myself, or I have to shell out more to have it built.

I think I'm going to order just the rims, so that I can get Sapim CX-Ray spokes and have the wheels built up by a reputable local. Not sure on the extra cost (spokes + hubs + build) to do so yet though.

gummee

by gummee

tharmor wrote:The dilemma I'm having is whether to go with the wheelset straight from ICAN, built with Novatec hubs and CN spokes.

OR

I'm in the same boat, but I already have some King hubs (from a Bontrager wheelset) that I'm looking to re-purpose.

Then it becomes 24mm, 38mm, or 50mm? Tubular for cross or clincher for crits? Too many choices! I've got analysis paralysis

I'm leaning 24mm since the hubs are 24/28. Since aero's not as important in cross in *most* of my races. (old, fat, and slow class)

M

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Nancy from HongFu sent me this photo, 40mmAero rim, 399g
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

mentok

by mentok

rainerhq

by rainerhq

I think that they are the same company. If you look at HongFu´s site: http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_produc ... s-286.html
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

From uam's site.

AR series.

40mm Aero Rim

2013 NEW AERO(AR40)

Weight: AR40-T :380g+_16g AR40-C:480g+_22g

Rim Depth:40mm.

Max Width:27.25mm.

Max Tire Pressure:140psi.

Brake Track Width (center):25mm

No pictures on the site I could find though.

FPSDavid

by FPSDavid

AR56-C: 560g +- 22g

that's pretty damn heavy, no?
Last edited by FPSDavid on Fri May 31, 2013 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yeah, really damn heavy, and frankly disappointing.

I am waiting to see what develops from FarSports' line of U-Shaped wheels, their weights and availabilities. No bias, just guided by experience.
For what it's worth, I also checked in with Archteks (who were known to produce excellent rims, particularly their tubular variety) as I haven't heard from them in a while. I'd like to see what they've got in comparison to these other providers in terms of a new 'aero' shape.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com