Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

natefontaine

by natefontaine

23mm wide x 20mm deep tubular - Nextie
CX ray 2x both sides
Prolock nipples
BHS 190UL - 11sp

Here's to hoping the front is under 420gm :D

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Got the HongFu 56mm tubulars back from the build:

Tune Mag 170 24h 2x
Tune Mig 70 20h radial
CXRay
Some nipples

Waiting for PBK to deliver new Conti Force/Attack tubular combo and adhesive. Will report back with ride.

Scale kept bouncing around a gram or so, don't add up to total.

Gex64

by Gex64

Who makes a rim with the size profile of the 202 Firecrest clincher?

sspring

by sspring

Gex64 wrote:Who makes a rim with the size profile of the 202 Firecrest clincher?

Light-Bicycle has stated they plan to do a 35mm clincher so that will probably be the closest thing to the 202 FC

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

Unsure if weights have been posted for the Deng-Fu 56mm tubulars built with Novatec 482/291 and Mac 424, but mine came in at 1330g for the set.
:beerchug:

FFJ

by FFJ

Here's the rundown on what there is for wider, U shaped, firecrest style tubular rims to my knowledge:

Hongfu or UAM 40MM/56MM/88MM http://www.uamcycling.com/ens/?topclass ... lassid=299
Forthcoming L-B 45mm http://www.light-bicycle.com/700C-carbo ... l_add_cart

For those of you who have ordered either the Hongfu/UAM 56mm or LB 45mm wheels, what sort of prices have you been quoted?

Hongfu is quoting me a price of $625 + $85 (shipping to US) for the 56mm aero wheels (with the standard 20H/24H spoke count).
LB is quoting me a price of $560 + $78 (shipping to US) for their 45mm U-Shaped wheels customized to 24H/28H rather than the standard 20H/24H.

Has anyone that has purchased these wheels been quoted a better price?

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Hongfu wrote:thanks for your messag,
about this full carbon Areo rims, HF-R56,
the best price is 340usd/pair, tubular,
and clincher is 410usd/pair.
the shipping cost is 75usd to USA.
there we accept paypal.
so you only need one pair ?
wait your reply.
thank you!
best regards.
coby

I was asking about rims only though. but I'd like to add this info to the discussion.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Paid $309 for HongFu 56T 20-24 UD finish
Ship to US $70
PP fees, $17

$396 total.

natefontaine

by natefontaine

Got the front done. 978gm total for under 550usd.

They match up very nicely with 22mm tubulars. Smooth transition between tire and rim without the lightbulb effect.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

wynkendeword

by wynkendeword

I contacted Vivian at HongFu this afternoon regarding their UAM-brand 56mm x 27mm carbon tubular wheelset (http://www.uamcycling.com/ens/?topclass ... 299&id=162). She replied promptly within a few hours (morning in her location in China, I assume). She says the wheels are in stock (sans decals) and that I can choose either Powerway or Chosen hubs with CN spokes. After a request for photos to confirm the u-shape version she followed up with a standard photo of the wheelset (taken from their online catalogue I assume), as well as a basic profile diagram of their various rim depths available.

About $500US (±$30 depending on hub), plus $85 shipping to Canada, plus 4.5% PayPal fee. She also requires a 30% deposit.

Of note: "we will have the Chinese holiday next week , so can just build the wheelset back from our holiday [February 7, 2014]" so I'll wait until then to order.

tharmor

by tharmor

This new "M" series carbon clincher from far sports has my interest. After all the reading up on November's wheel, they concluded that having an 18mm width from clincher wall to clincher wall really made the wheel "rail" in corners, etc. This wheel is the first from China (that I've spotted) to have an aero profile, but ALSO the same 18mm internal width ::

And, at 1600 grams for 60mm depth, it's not that bad either.

http://farsports.en.alibaba.com/product ... _hubs.html

sspring

by sspring

tharmor wrote:This new "M" series carbon clincher from far sports has my interest. After all the reading up on November's wheel, they concluded that having an 18mm width from clincher wall to clincher wall really made the wheel "rail" in corners, etc. This wheel is the first from China (that I've spotted) to have an aero profile, but ALSO the same 18mm internal width ::

And, at 1600 grams for 60mm depth, it's not that bad either.

http://farsports.en.alibaba.com/product ... _hubs.html

This is an old design thats been out a while and its more like the pre-firecrest wheels. the flat brake trac negatively effects the aero performance a lot. You'd be better off in my opinion going with a newer design that has a more aero shape with the brake trac aiding the aero effect. Far Sport has a couple of those new designs that are more like the November, Firecrest design.

Light-Bicycle has the internal width at just over 17mm and I think the Hongfu is around 18mm, not sure what the internal diameter of the new Far Sports wheels is but its probably in the 17 range

tharmor

by tharmor

^very good point. I admit I didn't even notice the "bulge". Definitely older aero shaping. I found the drawing for the HongFu clincher, and it measures 16.9mm. Weirdly I couldn't find the Light-Bicycle schematic. I'm certain it is found in this thread, but given that we have 49 pages now, I'm not really interested in searching for it.

Anyone happen to have a copy of it?

**Edit**

I found it using google (which is where I should have looked first). Their rim measures 17.1mm.

sspring

by sspring

tharmor, if you like Far Sports then I think you'd be better off with these 50x24 with a newer aero design. This is actually really close to the shape for the November Rail but 1 mm thinner at 17mm.

http://wheelsfar.com/wide-50x24mm-clinc ... p-299.html

I think somebody in this thread got a set of these if I'm not mistaken. Farsports is complicated cause they have so many designs and they all label them as U-shape. Its hard to tell which ones are actually in the same design philosophy of November, Light-Bicycle, or Hungfu. Have them send you the cross section to make sure.

Hongfu, Light-Bicycle, or these Farsports all would be great choices in my opinion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pushstart

by pushstart

Yeah, until recently (sold the bike) I had a set of the Farsports 50x24 (I think someone else here does too). I now have a set of LB U45 wheels.

The Farsports were fine, but the finish quality on the LB wheels seems to be much better -- very smooth/straight rim bead, tires fit tighter on rims (so better for tubeless), ERD was exactly same on both rims and matched mfr spec, finish (3k matte for me) was almost flawless (one small little wrinkle/seam). I will say that there are folks talking about issues with LB braking surface (maybe that was this thread?); I cannot comment on that since I ordered mine without brake surface (disc-brake wheels).

Didn't have any problems with Farsports braking or brake surface, though it was not very good at stopping the bike -- but from what I gather it was on par with other carbon rims. I also can't compare ride, since I haven't really ridden the new wheels yet -- and it is not apples-to-apples (more spokes on LB, 2x lacing f/r, etc.).