Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tharmor

by tharmor

The 56mm deep (27mm wide) wheelset, which both DengFu and HongFu are currently selling, is made by a manufacturer called FlyBike. These guys have recently come on eBay as Carbon-Cycle selling all of the stuff that they make. The best deal right now on the 56mm tubular, built with sapim spokes and chosen ceramic hubs is buy-it-now for $455 + $80 shipping. I haven't been able to find anything better, considering the build options, with the added protection of eBay.

saad

by saad

Wow thanks so much for that!

I just quote from Dengfu, built with sapim spokes and powerway hubs, comes to 1310g tubular, and is $450 shipped. They dont have ceramic hubs though. However these are almost half the price of the Yoeleo's. Sure the Yoeleo's have rims with no holes, but twice the price?

I though Hongfu and Dengfu had their own factories, as someone actually visited the HongFu factory and took pics on another forum. May have just been the Fly Bike factory pretending to be Hong Fu?

Edit - found them, but cant see and sapim wheels with ceramic bearings?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

saad

by saad

Any real difference between Sapim CX spokes and Pillar PSR Aero 1432? I'm speaking to Feel Bike, who I got my frame from, and they dont have Sapim. They can give me 16/18, 18/21. 20/24 holes, $540 shippedm ceramic bearings. They are 55mm not 56mm though, but are 27.25mm wide.

Here is diagram from them:

I'm down to two options now, both from Carbon-Cycle

One uses Powerway hubs and is 1300g. $430.

The other uses Chosen Hubs (A1146BA&A7577BXO) and is 1410g. $449.

Why are these more expensive yet heavier? Are the Chosen Hubs better?

They are both J-Bend though, really wanted Straight Pull.

Deng Fu are $450, with PowerWay R13, and they are saying its straight pull.

All use Sapim CX spokes, except the one from Feel Bicycle.

duckson

by duckson

I was going to ask the same question Powerway R13 vs Chosen, which is better.

I too noticed the weight differences quoted but looking at Tubulars, the only build difference is the hubs and i think there is 50g between them?
I think they have got some numbers mixed up!

saad

by saad

Reply from them:

"Thanks for your email.

Yes I saw these,powerway is lighter and cheaper,so it made this wheel be cheaper and lighter
Chosen is heavier than Powerway,but it rolls better than powerway so it's more expensive
If you do not care much the weight,I'd recommend you Chosen hubs"

Im guessing extra weight in the hubs wont really make a difference to how the wheels feel as its in the middle of the wheel?

saad

by saad

OK They said they can make the wheels in straight pull using the PowerWay R36 hubs. Comes to 550USD all up. DengFu are doing the same for me, for the same price and I'm getting them to throw in some bottle cages for free too, so I think I'll go with them. They are the same rims, hubs, and spokes after all.

Unless someone can tell me a reason not to go R36 hubs and not go straight pull?

duckson

by duckson

On the verge of pushing the button on some carbon-cycle 56mmx27mm tubulars with Chosen hubs/Sapim CX-rays.
Its my first venture into the tub world and want something robust enough so was thinking Conti Competition....should i get 22mm or 25mm for these rims?
Was thinking 22mm as the tub mounting point/across the width is more like 22mm at that point....

wynkendeword

by wynkendeword

duckson wrote:Was thinking 22mm as the tub mounting point/across the width is more like 22mm at that point....

I'd recommend 25mm for the very reason you give: rim beds are getting too wide for narrow tires.

22mm tires may work, but really the tubular isn't 22mm wide at that point—it's round, and the basetape area will likely be less than 22mm, even on a 25mm tire. In general wider rims like these require a wider tire, no only for more optimal aerodynamics (debatable), but for rolling "feel" and yes, glue area and contact areas. For example, glueing a 22mm tire on a rim bed designed for 25mm or wider tires may result in a slight deformation out of the round of your 22mm tire: the radius of the rim bed may be larger and your 22mm could end up glued down to this radius and the profile ending up a bit more oval, which negates one of the primary reasons for riding tubulars: the rounder and more supple ride feel.

Many of the new 25mm+ wide rims on the market come with minimum tire-width ratings. My HongFu 56mmx27mm U-Shape tubular rims had this minimum 'recommendation' from the seller.

Finally, now that I've gone from 23mm to 25mm tubulars for racing, I don't think I can go back. Feels great, and gives me more confidence on rough roads and hard-cornering criteriums.

wynkendeword

by wynkendeword

Re: hub choice, and as a follow-up to my posts about the HongFu 56mm x 27mm tubular wheelset with Chosen hubs I ordered a few months and really, the only thing I'm NOT happy with are the hubs, specifically the rear hub, specifically the Chosen freehub, which, after about 800km of racing have almost died (one is completely seized). And it may not be just the bearings: as my previous posts alluded to, the Chosen hub tolerances seem a bit out of sync with the bearings (current theory), and I suspect new bearings may confront the same issue (due to mis-alignment inside the freehub, or end caps out by 0.1mm, or something…still trying to figure it out). Short story: my next set of wheels will, at minimum, use a Novatec or better hub.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

wynkendeword wrote:In general wider rims like these require a wider tire, no only for more optimal aerodynamics (debatable)

Not debatable... on the new rims, aero is best if the tire is narrower than the brake tracks. They will however work better than the old rims with wide tires.
formerly rruff...

aktexican

by aktexican

Greetings. First time poster. I purchased a set of 27mm wide X 56mm deep tubulars from DengFu after reading reports from this thread. I ordered a set with black Mac Aero spokes and Novatec A291SB+F482SB hubs. I can confirm based on wynkendeword's posts that they use the exact same rim. Build quality of the rim looks really good, but not perfect (a fairly good piece of carbon peeled/missing from the gluing surface probably from sanding). Wheels are true and spoke tension seems fine. Initial impressions are even better than I expected. ENVE composites are in the town where I live and I ride with some of the engineers. Curious to hear their impressions of the rims.

In regards to recent posts, I stretched a 22m wide tire on one and it doesn't look very good. The brake track is significantly wider than the tire and is quite exposed. I am gonna go with 23 or 25s. I will post back after tires are glued and wheels have been raced and will post pictures soon.

Cheers.

wynkendeword

by wynkendeword

aktexican wrote:I purchased a set of 27mm wide X 56mm deep tubulars from DengFu after reading reports from this thread. I ordered a set with black Mac Aero spokes and Novatec A291SB+F482SB hubs.

Mind if we ask how much you paid for them? And do you have a direct contact we can email at DengFu?
Myself and some friends will likely order a couple sets, just so we can get them built with Novatec hubs, instead of Chosen from HongFu.

aktexican

by aktexican

wynkendeword wrote:
aktexican wrote:I purchased a set of 27mm wide X 56mm deep tubulars from DengFu after reading reports from this thread. I ordered a set with black Mac Aero spokes and Novatec A291SB+F482SB hubs.

Mind if we ask how much you paid for them? And do you have a direct contact we can email at DengFu?
Myself and some friends will likely order a couple sets, just so we can get them built with Novatec hubs, instead of Chosen from HongFu.

I paid $438 total, shipped to Utah. I emailed dengfubikes@163.com and was in contact with Wendy. I paid on April 24. Wheels arrived May 10.

duckson

by duckson

Why not order from carbon-cycle on ebay, same wheels cheaper....or at least check the option out.

jepd1973

by jepd1973

I Am also considering eBay. Anyone with an opinion on them

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com