Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pashax

by pashax

Farsports 50x25 carbon DT350 vs 50x25 carbon/alloy Edhub?
"If you brake, you do not win". MC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TimmS

by TimmS

What's the question?

pashax

by pashax

TimmS wrote:What's the question?

Braking performance and hub quality; one more thing: I am planning to use them as daily wheels.
"If you brake, you do not win". MC

josephtroppo

by josephtroppo

Braking performance is good with proper brake pads, I even use them for cyclocross.
Hubs: DTswiss are good, however not worth extra $ above a novatec set for example.

Marin

by Marin

Edhub if you aren't above 75kg or run super-low gearing.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

josephtroppo wrote:Braking performance is good with proper brake pads, I even use them for cyclocross.
Hubs: DTswiss are good, however not worth extra $ above a novatec set for example.

I can't disagree more.

josephtroppo

by josephtroppo

On the hub of braking part?

Hubs: just not impressed with the dt350 line. The novatec spin perfectly, maintenance and Alu body are the only downsides. However bearings are replaced cheap, steel body is available.

Brake pads; get the black prince or Reynolds blue. Made a huge difference to me.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

josephtroppo wrote:Braking performance is good with proper brake pads, I even use them for cyclocross.

Cyclocross is a lot more forgiving on the brakes than fast downhills on the road with switchbacks, road trafic or peloton emergency braking.

jimh

by jimh

Flicked thru the last couple of pages of this thread and couldn't see much on how wide the tires are people are putting on the wider rims.

Will a 23mm tire be ok on the rru45c02 from light bicycle it states a 19mm internal width in the spec. (bit unclear whether that's measured across the recess underneath the bead hook or across the top at the skinniest part.
thanks
Jim

Marin

by Marin

Yes it will. It will probably turn out wider than 23mm.

TheDoc

by TheDoc

Have anyone tried the RRU25C02 from light-bicycle? Really curious about them low-profile carbon clinchers...

fabriciom

by fabriciom

Hi,

Im wanting to do my first wheels and would like something nice. I'm thinking 50mm by 25mm wide with 20h radial front and 24h 2x rear. What tubular rim do you guys recommend? Should I go for Novatec hubs or Tune Mig70/170? What spokes and nipples? I weight about 77kg.

-thanks

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

fabriciom wrote:Hi,

Im wanting to do my first wheels and would like something nice. I'm thinking 50mm by 25mm wide with 20h radial front and 24h 2x rear. What tubular rim do you guys recommend? Should I go for Novatec hubs or Tune Mig70/170? What spokes and nipples? I weight about 77kg.

-thanks

Hey,

as far as I know, you can't go wrong with the current choice of rims available in 50 x 25 mm, Farsports or whatever name they sell under

for hubs, our own bm0p700f has Miche hubs in 20/24h drillings in stock. Even with the £ -> € awful change, it's still a bargain and the only one that is listing those hubs in those drillings.
You might consider them although they are heavy. (doesn't really matter for hubs)

Novatec is fine too. Versus Tune mig/mag the money will decide

Marin

by Marin

If you are considering Tune, which don't really have a reputation for durability, you should consider Bitex/BHS too, almost as light and around 1/8th of the price. Or take the lightest Novatec set, they are a bit more robust.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fabriciom

by fabriciom

Well I ended up getting the following:

Tubular 50mm*25mm front 20h rear 24h (250,74€) http://www.aliexpress.com/item/25mm-width-U-shape-New-50mm-tubular-Clincher-Full-Carbon-Rims-700C-Road-Bike-carbon-Rims/32411328890.html
Novatec A291SB/F482SB in white 20h/24h (84,74€) http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-taiwan-high-quality-Novatec-A291SB-F482SB-Sealed-Bearing-Hubs-20-24-with-quick-release-wheels/32247975594.html
Spoke tension meter (99,31€) http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-spoke-tool-Bicycle-Repair-Tools-key-to-spokes-Bike-Mtb-Professional-Accuracy-Spoke-wrench-Tension/2036665012.html

Im building a tension meter calibration stand like so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgsz7l1 ... SvQjJeL85A
Im hoping the Chinese tension meter works alright and have a tool that works with Sapim and DT.
Also I would like to do a bearing upgrade for the hubs. Im researching to see if I can find something nice and affordable. Any one know of some good bearings I can use? Ceramic maybe?
For bench Im going to buy the Park Tool TS2.2. Any better more affordable one? With dials?

-Thanks