Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

trilocus

by trilocus

i have a open mold wheels for sale in the forum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

@steelisreal79-
carbon braking is poor in the wet. I would not have carbon as my only wheel set.

you don't need 32 spoke wheels unless you're breaking 36 spoke aluminium wheels. Deep section rims are stiffer. 24f/28r is the usual 'clydesdale' build.

50mm depth would make a more aero front wheel.

steelisreal79

by steelisreal79

Thanks Eric. I know I don't need 32h but since I want to re-use the Chris King hubs I'm kinda stuck with this restriction....

steelisreal79

by steelisreal79

So both Yishun & Far Sports have quoted this, what's is the general consensus? Which company is better, quality and service wise? Thanks for the response...

djtodd

by djtodd

I've been thinking of buying yet another set of carbon clinchers, mostly because its off season and I'm bored. Browsing through the eBay and Far Sports listings, I see the trend is moving toward brand name spokes and hubs coming in the builds from China.

For example, Wheelsfar has a listing for a 50mm set with Sapim C-Xrays and DT240s hubs for $907. Has anyone had a good look at the hubs and spokes, and felt that they are genuine? I have no problem with Novatec, cheap is cheap, but if I'm paying for a name brand, I'd kinda want them to be real....

eric

by eric

I've had a couple wheel sets from FarSports and they appear to use genuine Sapims. At least they look like Sapims and don't break.
FarSports has been building their wheels with spoke and nipple washers lately which shows they know what they're doing and care about their wheels performance.
I wish they'd tension the wheels a bit more but that's easy for me to rectify and most prebuilt wheels I get have lower tension than I prefer so they're not alone.

djtodd

by djtodd

Thanks!

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

As I mentioned before, I and my friends bought 40 and 56mm clincher wheels from Rae, the carbon-cycle.

The set I bought is;
40mm clincher set (27mm wide)
Novatec A291 / F482SL hubs
Sapim Cx-Ray spokes. 20f and 24r (2x/2x)

Weight of the set is 1492 grams without rim tape. Spoke holes are compatible with red veloplugs, so it is a good choice for saving some weight. (rim tape Rea sends are 42 grams for 2 wheels)

Quality of the wheels looks nice. Build was okay. Only problem was over tensioned rear wheels. Just a few of the nipple holes had really tiny cracks, which was really hard to show on photos. Replacement rims are on the post, so everything is okay.
Rae apologised actually billion times, and sent replacements immediately.

I did a few test rides in really bad conditions, you can see from the photo. Here are the details;

Braking in dry is really nice and smooth. I tried both Dura-Ace 9000 pads and the stock ones. I liked the feel, and the power. Here in Istanbul, you have to ride in traffic many times and I've never felt insecure with them.
When it started to rain on my last ride (With DA9000 pads), there was a descent with really sharp bends. Braking is really bad for first 1 second, while surface is wet. Almost no power at all. But just after that time, I can say that brakes are working at 90% power. No problems with slowing down, or stopping (I had to stop on one sharp bend, and no problems).
I was really careful for the beginning, but now I am more confident about them.

Aerodynamic performance, difference was not huge after my Token C28A wheelset (23mm wide, 28mm deep aluminium rims), but still noticeable. I am a 65kg rider, with a 7kg bike and strong side winds were not a problem at all. Wheels are also more rigid than my old Token wheelset on steep climbs, I am not so powerful but even my 90kg friend said the same (who bought the exact same wheels).

So as conclusion, I would totally recommend the wheels and the service. I really like the wheels, so before the summer time, I am planning to buy 56/86mm set too.

alpinestar

by alpinestar

So looking into a new set of China clinchers, I have a set, but its only 19mm wide, with no basalt brake track. So I am looking for a 23mm wide set, u-shaped in UD finish. I e-mailed a bit with Rae from Carbon sports, but unfortunately they only do the UD on the 27mm option this is too wide for my frame, I think (Cervelo S2)
So looking at Farsports, they have the exact option I want.

I tried looking around here on ww, but cant seem to find any good info on the hubs, what is the better option?
Bitex A713SB/RAR12 or Novatec A291SB/F482SB ?

I have some older Novatech´s wich have been great. They are a bit more expensive then the Bitex, but only 20$ or so...

Any difference between the spokes? Sapim CX-RAY / CX-Delta Spokes ?

alpinestar

by alpinestar

After a bit of looking around I found that my Cervelo S2 sould not have any problem running 25mm wide rims I orderd a small cristmas present for myself, a set from Rae at Carbon-Cycle. Orderd the following spec:
50mm profile U shaped Basalt brake track 25 mm wide UD Matt finish
Black Novatec hubs A291/F582SL Campagnolo 10 and 11 speed comptible
Black Sapim cx-ray spokes
Black nippels

ACree

by ACree

Which frame is that? I like the clean look of the combo. :thumbup:

ToffieBoi wrote:As I mentioned before, I and my friends bought 40 and 56mm clincher wheels from Rae, the carbon-cycle.

The set I bought is;
40mm clincher set (27mm wide)
Novatec A291 / F482SL hubs
Sapim Cx-Ray spokes. 20f and 24r (2x/2x)

Weight of the set is 1492 grams without rim tape. Spoke holes are compatible with red veloplugs, so it is a good choice for saving some weight. (rim tape Rea sends are 42 grams for 2 wheels)

Quality of the wheels looks nice. Build was okay. Only problem was over tensioned rear wheels. Just a few of the nipple holes had really tiny cracks, which was really hard to show on photos. Replacement rims are on the post, so everything is okay.
Rae apologised actually billion times, and sent replacements immediately.

I did a few test rides in really bad conditions, you can see from the photo. Here are the details;

Braking in dry is really nice and smooth. I tried both Dura-Ace 9000 pads and the stock ones. I liked the feel, and the power. Here in Istanbul, you have to ride in traffic many times and I've never felt insecure with them.
When it started to rain on my last ride (With DA9000 pads), there was a descent with really sharp bends. Braking is really bad for first 1 second, while surface is wet. Almost no power at all. But just after that time, I can say that brakes are working at 90% power. No problems with slowing down, or stopping (I had to stop on one sharp bend, and no problems).
I was really careful for the beginning, but now I am more confident about them.

Aerodynamic performance, difference was not huge after my Token C28A wheelset (23mm wide, 28mm deep aluminium rims), but still noticeable. I am a 65kg rider, with a 7kg bike and strong side winds were not a problem at all. Wheels are also more rigid than my old Token wheelset on steep climbs, I am not so powerful but even my 90kg friend said the same (who bought the exact same wheels).

So as conclusion, I would totally recommend the wheels and the service. I really like the wheels, so before the summer time, I am planning to buy 56/86mm set too.

Slagter

by Slagter

Im pretty sure it's a FM066SL...

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Yes. It is FM066SL :)

I just ordered Chorus 2015 groupset. It will be around 6800 grams when I built the bike.
I will start a topic then :)

alpinestar

by alpinestar

So my wheels from rae landed yesterday. ImageImage
So weight wise they are ok, more pictures will follow! Specs:
50mm profile
U shaped
Basalt brake track
25 mm wide
UD Matt finish
Black Novatec hubs Campagnolo 10 and 11 speed comptible
A291/F582SL