Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

simnorm

by simnorm

waltthizzney wrote:For whats its worth I met someone who works for wiggle.... Guess where their Cosine wheels come from.... Light-Bicycle!

Multiple reviews mentioned that they are in fact Gigantex rims.
https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/cosine-5 ... eview.html
http://road.cc/content/review/173352-co ... r-wheelset

Marin

by Marin

The wheels are also too heavy for LB rims...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Anyone have any info about these -> http://www.nextie.net/new-road-clincher-NXT32RC

Specs look really interesting...

32x27mm @ 420g claimed - not bad if the weight is true

Edit: For their fatbike rims they have a stock list with weights: http://www.nextie.net/stock :shock:

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Just a note of caution for Carbon Cycle wide rim users.

Over the summer I've have had the front tyre blow off the rim 3 times. It's a 45mm deep 28 wide clincher with Vittoria Open Pave 25 @ 90psi. They are certainly easy to fit, only requiring a light thumb to tease them on. I always check that the bead is seated properly when inflating. Once was during a hill reps session just at the bottom of a descent, (first rep, so not repeated heat cycles) but the others were not after any sustained or hard braking.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

tk2306

by tk2306

I have been following this thread on and off for quite a while and I am looking to get some new wheels for a new build I am putting together. I have had a set of 50mm deep wheels from carbonspeedcycle for over 3 years now which have done thousands and thousands of km's with the biggest issue being a few broken aluminium spoke nipples.

I am looking to get something a little bit shallower for my new build and have been looking at the Light-Bicycle 35's as a possible option. Reading through this thread it seems people are also very happy with the Carbon-Cycle 40mm wheels too. I'm looking for something U shaped like both of these are and a gloss UD finish. I love the look of the U shaped rims in this finish.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on either of these wheels? I was pretty sold on the LB wheels but having read through some comments people seem to say good things about the Carbon-Cycle wheels too and these are a bit cheaper on ebay vs the LB wheels and it sounds like off ebay they can be had a touch cheaper.

Any opinions and advice would be much appreciated.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

why shallower? I really dont see the point in shallow carbon clinchers. The wheels should be about aero gains over looks and shallower normally means less aero.

As for which wheels flip a coin if you cant decide both are new to you and I have no experience of them. Or buy the rims and get them built up by a wheel builder you trust.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Matt, I am not sure ease of fitting is the cause of your tyre blow off issue. The wheels I race on have very easy fiotting for vittoria corsa (I can pull the tyres off without levers) and they have never blown off. It is more likely to be the rim hook design

tk2306

by tk2306

I don't see the point in properly shallow carbon clinchers <30mm. The main reason is aesthetics honestly, and I don't want to have to deal with the wind either. I am no longer racing, having previously raced at an elite level, and honestly for these wheels I'm not too fussed about the extra handful of watts a 50mm rim could save me (only at yaw realistically). Thanks for the opinion though, I am looking for new wheels anyway to replace my 50's and going shallower is the direction I am looking to go.

Any more opinions are valued.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

bm0p700f wrote:Matt, I am not sure ease of fitting is the cause of your tyre blow off issue. The wheels I race on have very easy fiotting for vittoria corsa (I can pull the tyres off without levers) and they have never blown off. It is more likely to be the rim hook design

Thanks. I'll take a look at the bead hook when I take the tyres off.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

Marin

by Marin

tk2306 wrote:Any more opinions are valued.

I have a set of LB 35s. With Novatec SL hubs I built them into a 1380g set, even using thicker spokes rear drive side. I really like them, braking is very good with Reynolds blue or Wiggle carbon blue pads.

Regarding the usefulness of shallow carbon clinchers, I also have a 25mm tall 1290g LB set that I really like. If you can show me a U-shaped 26mm wide tubeless ready black aluminum rim under 400g that's as stiff as these rims and rated to 1800N spoke tension by the manufacturer, I'd take it - only it doesn't exist.

The alu options are 100g/set heavier, not much cheaper, will have silver sidewalls after 300km, will be narrower and the ligher ones will have you worrying about cracking at the nipples.

tk2306

by tk2306

Marin wrote:
tk2306 wrote:Any more opinions are valued.

I have a set of LB 35s. With Novatec SL hubs I built them into a 1380g set, even using thicker spokes rear drive side. I really like them, braking is very good with Reynolds blue or Wiggle carbon blue pads.

Thanks for the input Marin, I ended up going with the LB45's instead of the 35's. I will be getting them laced to some White Industries T11 hubs, not the worlds lightest build but should build into a great set of wheels. Glad to hear the Wiggle pads work well with the wheels, I have a set lying around. I also purchased some pads from LB as they where only $10. dudemanppl in another thread mentioned he had tried a good stack of different pads and thought the Giant carbon pads where the best on LB rims. Might give them a go once I see how I get on with the others I already have.

Thuekr

by Thuekr

Thuekr wrote:Finally WU6C Yishunbike build

Now done 7.000km on the WU6C rims - still flying

JeffChen

by JeffChen

The washer is nipple killer, be careful!

ku_hi

by ku_hi

MattSoutherden wrote:
bm0p700f wrote:Matt, I am not sure ease of fitting is the cause of your tyre blow off issue. The wheels I race on have very easy fiotting for vittoria corsa (I can pull the tyres off without levers) and they have never blown off. It is more likely to be the rim hook design

Thanks. I'll take a look at the bead hook when I take the tyres off.

Did you ever find what was the cause to tyre fell off.

I just ordered 45/56mm deep - 27mm wide clinchers from carbon-cycle, so I am just curious.
You only live twice

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calvaroz

by Calvaroz

tk2306 wrote:I have been following this thread on and off for quite a while and I am looking to get some new wheels for a new build I am putting together. I have had a set of 50mm deep wheels from carbonspeedcycle for over 3 years now which have done thousands and thousands of km's with the biggest issue being a few broken aluminium spoke nipples.

i was thinking about going with carbonspeedcycle, but haven't decided between these and farsport ones.
how is the brake track after 3 years?

there's so many threads and pages on the subject. I
t's hard to go through all the information.