Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rijndael

by rijndael

Is anyone having brake pulse problems from any recent 27mm (FlyBike) rims?

I was reading one other forum and the complaints seem to be pretty common.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Thuekr

by Thuekr

Hi Thue,

Thanks for your reminding.
Your rims will be ready in the next week.
When it is shipped, you will be informed.

Have a good day.
Yours faithfully,
Jason

tharmor

by tharmor

I requested (non-catalogue) pictures of the WU6T from YishunBike, and these were sent over this morning. I think the finish is great ::

Miller

by Miller

Got to admit I'm a bit swamped by the info in this thread. If I had a specification such as: carbon clincher, 23mm width, 60mm depth or close, U shape, tubeless ready, could anyone point me at a supplier?

Thuekr

by Thuekr

MotherOfGod That's some wide bombshells!!

pushstart

by pushstart

Miller wrote:Got to admit I'm a bit swamped by the info in this thread. If I had a specification such as: carbon clincher, 23mm width, 60mm depth or close, U shape, tubeless ready, could anyone point me at a supplier?

You might check with light-bicycle if they have their deeper u-shaped rims available. I think they have 50mm versions. I have the U45 and they are nice -- especially without brake track / for disc-brake wheels, since I see reports of issues with their brake tracks (I assume disc is what you were looking for). 24.5mm outside, 17.1mm inside , so reasonably wide. These are tubeless ready and while I have not tried tubeless on these, they do seem to have very smooth beads -- and generally seem to be constructed with tight tolerances. I think that was the main issue with making the Farsports tubeless (near impossible to seat): bead was fairly uneven/not-smooth on the inside, took lots of soapy water and then latex along the outside.

I ride the U45 as my every day road-bike wheels. They have gotten a fair bit of abuse including some gravel. So the 3k surface has a few scratches now, but they have held up perfectly for the past ~1200 miles.
Last edited by pushstart on Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GavinR

by GavinR

500 mile update from my Chinese carbon clinchers purchased from Carbon Speed Cycle...

Youtube video 500 mile update

Interested to hear if other people had same experience.

Miller

by Miller

Thanks for the pointers. I was thinking more of a lightweight pair of wheels for my TT bike but as I do have a disc bike, it's a permanent temptation to think of carbon wheels for it...

upside

by upside

Does anyone have any experience with the Farsports 24 carbon clincher. The weight seems great at 360 grams per rim and wheelset at 1199 grams. The one I was looking at is laced up with the ED hubs. I do live in a hilly region and do quite a bit of climbing. I have had 2 sets of the 38's without any issues, but remember someone saying that the smaller rims do not get rid of heat build up as fast. Any help is appreciated. This is the model I was looking to purchase.

[b]24mmx23mm Clincher with Edhub Model:FSC24CM-23 Light Weight[/b]

pushstart

by pushstart

Ah, gotcha. I am sure others can give some pointers on tubeless-ready deeper rims. I was happy with the experience from Farsports and the product (though build was under-tensioned), but that 24x50 model was definitely not tubeless ready.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Yeah...Swisstop yellows are crap. Switch to something like the Zipp Platinum Pros, which are grey, and work excellent, made by Swisstop. No more yellow and better braking IMO.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I am also interested in the 24mm. My 38's have been great!
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

motormouth

by motormouth

isn't there a thread for this?

LouisN

by LouisN

I'm shopping for rims for a friend, should buy a pair today or tomorrow depending on availability, finish and prices..

I'd like to know if members here are happy customers and have bought more than one product from either companies.

Also, wich manufacturer would you choose from ?
HongFu or Farsports ?
I bought a cyclocross fork from HongFu and was pleased by the product.

Thanks for the heads up :beerchug:

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

Went with Deng Fu for two purchases that included two wheel sets and one set of rims - clinchers and tubulars. Quality has been good, service and shipping were what you'd expect from any online retailer. Just had a family member order another set from carbon cycle through eBay, with similar satisfaction.

I've ordered from HF successfully in the past, and chose Deng Fu and Carbon Cycle due to their offering of various Novatec hubs which I think are superior to other offerings I've ridden.