Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaver

by Beaver

Thanks, but it's already in there (second to last). ;)

mlr3k

by mlr3k

I just got mine from Carbon-Cycle. $720
25mm rim width
38mm front
50mm rear
DT Swiss 240 hubs
Sapim cx ray spokes
Shimano 11 speed
Clincher

I ordered wheels on June 8th. The wheels were delivered on June 16th. Really fast shipping from China to TN.

bilwit

by bilwit

I just got 25mm-wide 40mm-deep U-profile w/ Sapim CX-ray spokes+Novatec hubs for $600 from "IMUST" which is the non-branded version of "ICAN" who have warehouses in the US so they can ship via Amazon Prime. I got these because I've been on their older 23mm-wide 38mm-deep V-profile carbon clinchers that I've put over 12,000km all-weather (Seattle) into which have been great value so far for the $400 I spent on them.

Now if only I can find 60mm ones..

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

I finally got my Light Bicycle 46mm deep by 28mm wide (22.5mm hookless internal) built up around Bitex BX106 hubs with CX-Ray spokes. I must say, I'm really impressed. I found them very easy to build on my homemade truing stand.

The most difficult part was getting my Schwalbe Pro One tires (25c front and 28c rear) to pop onto the bead. It wasn't too difficult to get the tires onto the rim but even with an air compressor they were very reluctant to pop onto the bead. It took about 5 inflations and deflations and liberal amounts of soapy water to get them on. That being said, once they were on they really were on! I deflated them and then pumped them up to 60 psi with a track pump and left them overnight. Even without sealant they were still fully inflated the next morning!

I added sealant and went for a 30 mile ride through rolling hills and enjoyed them. It wasn't a particularly tough test for them, but they felt stiff, comfortable, and easy to handle in the light breeze. I ran them both at 60 psi which felt fast and very comfortable. I don't know if it was just placebo, but running the Pro One tires tubeless instead of with butyl tubes (which I've been using for the last 1000 miles or so) was noticeably more comfortable. I kept checking to see if I had a flat at every stop sign and traffic light because they rolled so well!

mmancini

by mmancini

CallumRD1,

Since your purchase of the RR46C02 rims from Light Bicycle, they've changed the specifications from 80 max psi HOOKLESS to only 40. Their explanation is as follows:

""We did a lot of test for this hookless version before. The result of the test shows it is okay to run the tire pressure less than 80psi while riding. None of customers has blow-out issue before. However, not long before, one of customers gave us feedback that his tire blew out when tire pressure got up to 40psi. And then we recommend that it should be less than 40psi for the hookless version on our website.""

It seems odd that they would do so based on a single incident. What are your thoughts? Any more impressions? I am considering a 36 front 46 rear setup to simulate ENVE's differing profile concept.

**EDIT**
If you get a chance, can you please measure the width and height of the Schwalbe Pro One (both 25 and 28) at your 60 psi?

Thanks and regards

ms6073

by ms6073

The only experience I have are with Derby hookless carbon mountain bike rims where typical pressures with Schwalbe Rocket Ron tubeless tires is ~22 psi or less. I used an air compressor to set them up and inflated to slightly over ~40 psi which popped the beads into place quite nicely. Thought it had sealed as there were no leaks but when I set the wheel down to do the other, a few minutes later the bead blew off and made a huge mess!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

mmancini wrote:CallumRD1,

Since your purchase of the RR46C02 rims from Light Bicycle, they've changed the specifications from 80 max psi HOOKLESS to only 40. Their explanation is as follows:

""We did a lot of test for this hookless version before. The result of the test shows it is okay to run the tire pressure less than 80psi while riding. None of customers has blow-out issue before. However, not long before, one of customers gave us feedback that his tire blew out when tire pressure got up to 40psi. And then we recommend that it should be less than 40psi for the hookless version on our website.""

It seems odd that they would do so based on a single incident. What are your thoughts? Any more impressions? I am considering a 36 front 46 rear setup to simulate ENVE's differing profile concept.

**EDIT**
If you get a chance, can you please measure the width and height of the Schwalbe Pro One (both 25 and 28) at your 60 psi?

Thanks and regards

That's a little concerning to hear, but it doesn't worry me unduly. There are many combinations of tires and rims that work better and worse tubeless and hookless. The Pro One is well regarded as a reliable tubeless tire and many other manufacturers produce hookless rims that work just fine. There isn't a fundamental issue with running a tubeless road tire on a hookless rim.

It's also important to remember that it isn't really tire pressure that determines the amount of stress on the rim and the likelihood of blowing off a tire but rather the hoop tension. A very wide 45mm gravel tire at 80 psi will put far more stress on the rim than a 30mm road tire. There's a great Velonews article that explains the physics of this quite well. Additionally a non tubeless tire with a slightly elastic bead will definitely blow off a hookless rim prematurely at even moderate pressures which causes me to wonder if this person with a blowout was using a proper tire.

I'm going to send them an email asking for some more details.

I don't have measurements for the heights off hand, but at 60 psi the widths of the 25c and 28c Pro One tires are 28 mm and 30mm respectively when mounted on the hookless rims.

EDIT: I thought about going for a 36mm/46mm combo but decided against it because the difference in depth isn't all that large and I had heard that these rims handled crosswinds quite well. I only have about a hundred miles on them so far, but I'm not regretting the decision yet.

Another reason to go with 46mm front and back is that they use the same length spokes. My hubs (Bitex BX106) have flanges that are sized such that I only needed to purchase 2 sizes of spokes (262mm and 264mm) for the whole wheelset. The shorter size for the front disk and rear drive side, the longer size for the front non-disk and rear disk side. I found that very convenient.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I'm using LB 46mm in the front right now and it's indeed superb.
I just hope they release 56mm or 52mm or whatever 52-58 and i'll pull the trigger to use one in the rear as well.

Really don't get why they stop at 36 and 46 and not any taller. Just replace the whole old line of 25mm wide with these new wider set already.

mmancini

by mmancini

CallumRD1,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Please post any response you get from LB.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. It is always windy wherever I ride. Occasionally I even have problems with my stock low profile box section wheels. I shudder to think how anything deeper would respond. I still have yet to decide on what to purchase so I look forward to your and any other posts regarding crosswind resistance.

With regards to the spoke length. I plan to have LB build the entire wheel set and order extra spokes from them. I can certainly see the benefit in having to order only two sizes were I building these myself.

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

Here's the response I've gotten from LB so far:

Thanks for your e-mail!

Okay, we will e-mail the customer to ask about the detailed information and give a reply on next Monday.

None of the customers complain about it, except one. :)

Best regards,
Grace

mmancini

by mmancini

I asked LB for more info on the low PSI rating for these hookless rims and this is what they said:

""The max tire pressure is 40psi on hookless version. Otherwise, the tire will blow off easily.""

They seem to be suggesting that hookless versions are only appropriate for MTB and CX users with low pressure large volume tires. Roadies are steered towards the hooked version.

Beaver

by Beaver

I just got my RR036C02 and took the hooks - without the inner rim width is higher and e.g. a 25mm Conti 4000S II, which is already 28.5mm wide on these rims, would have more tire overlap.

Hookless with 40spi is for >30mm tires and offroad usage.

JeffChen

by JeffChen

Beaver wrote:Image

I just got my RR036C02 and took the hooks - without the inner rim width is higher and e.g. a 25mm Conti 4000S II, which is already 28.5mm wide on these rims, would have more tire overlap.

Hookless with 40spi is for >30mm tires and offroad usage.

Is it offset rim?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mmancini

by mmancini

Today I ordered the following complete wheelset build from Light Bicycle:

RR46C02
DT SWISS 240S Black 100mm 12mm 24H straight pull Center lock
DT SWISS 240S Black 142mm 12mm 24H Shimano Road 11S straight pull Center lock
Sapim CX Ray black straight pull
Sapim POLYAX Black Brass
matte UD 24H No brake surface hook
46mm depth clincher rims, no decal, lacing pattern: 2 cross

As you can see I ended up ordering the "hooked" version because of the many low pressure / blow-off warnings from LB during the order process. I should have them in a few weeks and will give a bit of a review when I get them.