Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hugo7

by Hugo7

prendrefeu wrote:
Imaking20 wrote:Where was this announcement?

2, Alloy brake surface 50mm deep clincher wheels
Superlight 50mm clincher wheels(new U shape, alloy brake surface) +EDhubs+Sapim Cx-ray spokes=1450g(+/-30g)
[pics attached to post]

prendrefeu wrote:... sent me the tech drawings from the rims. They're attached.
Lookin' good.

I'd be really interested in some wide carbon clinchers with an alu brake track. By I'd probably rather have 38-42mm than 50mm. Did they give you an idea of when they'll be bringing them out?

Also isn't this tech drawing for the old version? It shows 20.4mm width.
download/file.php?id=53587&mode=view

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lynet

by Lynet

Anybody have info on the wide profile rim Spin is using for their K2 Koppenberg carbon clinchers?

http://www.spincycleworks.com/servlet/t ... Categories

NGMN

by NGMN

prendrefeu wrote:Rims weight as below:
-Superlight 50mm clincher rims with 25mm wide: 480g+/-10g/Piece
-Superlight 50mm clincher rims with alloy brake surface: 500g+/-10g/Piece

where will these be available and what will price be like?

rainerhq

by rainerhq

I contacted Smart and he/she was very helpful.
email: sales7@farsports.cn
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

BobDopolina
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by BobDopolina

Wookieopolis wrote:This sure looks like the source to me: http://www.bev-intl.com/e-catalog/09/p6.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 30mm, 45mm, 55mm, and 80mm deep 25mm wide rims. They look to be more akin to the new wide profiles we are seeing from the major manufacturers rather than a V profile.

Bev is a trading company. They do not own those molds.

EDIT: I should have read the whole thread first as it was covered.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.
https://www.bdopcycling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

Yes, I should have specified 'a' source. We're all generally dealing with trading companies rather than manufacturers when it comes to these sort of products.

BobDopolina
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by BobDopolina

Wookieopolis wrote:Yes, I should have specified 'a' source. We're all generally dealing with trading companies rather than manufacturers when it comes to these sort of products.

Yes, most factories won't even return your email if you're an end user. They think in scale and simply don't have the sales staff to sell rims a pair at a time.

Even if you are a trading company/distributor it can be difficult to get their attention. Of course, there are exceptions.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.
https://www.bdopcycling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tharmor

by tharmor

As of late December 2012, Wheelsmith in the UK is stocking wide profile rims from Gigantex as mentioned earlier. In the 24mm width, he has 50mm & 60mm depths (that cannot be mixed F&R) in clincher only. The UD finish looks amazing. Does anyone know if this guy is a Weenie? Or, are there any Weenies who are familiar with the shop and can give a report on these rims with hands on experience? This could be sweet.

JensW

by JensW

tharmor wrote:As of late December 2012, Wheelsmith in the UK is stocking wide profile rims from Gigantex as mentioned earlier. In the 24mm width, he has 50mm & 60mm depths (that cannot be mixed F&R) in clincher only. The UD finish looks amazing. Does anyone know if this guy is a Weenie? Or, are there any Weenies who are familiar with the shop and can give a report on these rims with hands on experience? This could be sweet.

i dont have any wheels form wheel smith, but you should search on this forum for wheels from the shop, al I have seen are that they builds realy good wheels and have alot of other hubs then they have on the site

tharmor

by tharmor

I wanted to mention, as well, that the claimed weight for the Focus Carbon clincher above is 520g, and the claimed weight of the similarly shaped Enve 6 of the 6.7 wheelset is 495g. I would say I'm impressed with that marginal weight penalty.

Also, $249 for a single
or
$455 for the pair

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I'm at a very difficult crossroads with all of this.

One one hand, the new shapes are aero. How much aero will make how much of a difference in real world ultra riding not withstanding...

and on the other hand, the new shapes are heavy. :evil:

Why... why... why can't I get the new aero shapes with a weight closer to 400g per rim (clincher) ?? Open mould or ENVE or ZIPP, they're heavy, damnit.

:evil:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

spartan

by spartan

november cycles is developing new rim. real independent development in a2 windtunnel.

unlike zipp they are quite honest on testing/reporting at different speed levels.

"the 40K TT at 30mph comparison is a standard, but an unfortunate one for consumers trying to fairly evaluate how different wheels would perform for them. Aerodynamics are amplified at higher speeds (as Dave points out here, particularly int he comments), but the average speed for most TTs and bike legs in triathlons is well under that. Wheel brands like the standard though because it shows a larger gap against benchmark wheels. To get a better sense of how each wheel performs at mortal speeds, have a look at the following chart:

http://www.novemberbicycles.com/blog/2013/1/21/the-rail-prototype-wind-tunnel-data-and-calculations.html"
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Thanks for that. :thumbup:

It's good to know that, really, those 38mm CC's that I've been very, very happy with are actually not as "unaero" in actual, real conditions that I ride in, as brands & sellers want me to believe.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Waldo
in the industry

by Waldo

spartan wrote:november cycles is developing new rim. real independent development in a2 windtunnel.

unlike zipp they are quite honest on testing/reporting at different speed levels.

You would have a great point there if we hadn't addressed this back in February of 2007 (this test was over Valentine's Day, I know because my wife was not so happy).
http://www.zipp.com/_media/pdfs/technol ... _speed.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's all very well accepted that in the Reynolds Number arena in which bicycle wheels operate it's a safe assumption that CdA is essentially constant with a change in velocity. Given that, the formulas for drag force and power then scale with V^2 and V^3, respectively. Therefore, it's trivial to scale data up or down from a known velocity to a desired velocity (again, this is a bit of an oversimplification but applicable in our area).

We had been saying this for some time, but as we still see, some people have a difficult time believing this, so we actually took the data at both 20 mph and 30 mph and then compared it to the results of scaling the 30 mph data down to 20 mph. Anyone so inclined can take the data we (and others) release given 30 mph velocity and scale to what they deem an appropriate velocity.
Last edited by Waldo on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ENVE contract engineer | Former Zipp test engineer

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com