Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Thuekr

by Thuekr

It exceeds your hope and expectations - in 2016 this piece of engineering will be the baseline showed from the biggest brands in the industry. Listen to the text carefully www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0AKJMGxwpE

YmOeU

by YmOeU

So I got my carbon-cycle wheels. Woohoo! but no rim tape though I should go get huh?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g0t0

by g0t0

Does anyone have the carbon-cycle/deng-fu 27mm wide (and 40/56/86mm high) wheels?
What is the diameter of the holes for the spokes on the inside of the rim where the rim tape goes?

I have mine coming and would like to oder correctly fitting veloplugs in advance, but I don't know if I need the 8mm ones or the 8.5-9.3mm ones...

trillo1111

by trillo1111

I have the carbon-cycles 40mm x 27, I can't remember the dimensions off the top of my head, but I got the red veloplugs and they work well. Not a single flat in 3 months (and that's with latex tubes).

YmOeU

by YmOeU

So the carbon pads that comes with the carbon-cycle wheels are shimano dura ace brown pads. Anyone has experience with those?

g0t0

by g0t0

My 40x27mm wheelset and 86x27mm frontwheel from deng-fu/carbon-sports finally came. First look is very decent quality, can't complain at all.
As trillo1111 said the holes are 8mm, so the red Veloplugs should fit.

Mine also came with shimano dura ace brake pads.

Thuekr

by Thuekr

tharmor wrote:Ha! I have high hopes (admitibly too high) for this particular wheelset, so I want to see and hear it all. Please!

I want to see your face painted black, black as night, black as coal
Don't want to see the sun, bloated out from the sky
I want to see it painted, painted, painted, painted black, yea

g0t0

by g0t0

Weight of the 40x27mm with Novatec hubs is 650g front and 820g rear without skewers.
The 86x27mm frontwheel with Novatec hubs is 900g.

edit: Those are all clinchers.

tharmor

by tharmor

Thuekr wrote:I want to see your face painted black, black as night, black as coal
Don't want to see the sun, bloated out from the sky
I want to see it painted, painted, painted, painted black, yea

I take it you are thrilled about the finish of the rims. The picture shows a glossy finish? I can't tell if that's a result of a camera flash reflection. The tire bead (from your other picture) looks really well finished and smooth as well.

/moar please!!

Thuekr

by Thuekr

I take I am not so thrilled about the 3K weave (there was no other option of finish when I placed my order in late May), so I am giving the rim some layers of black matt spray [Molotov black]. The gloss is from the newly not yet dried paint.

tharmor

by tharmor

Track bike! I forgot. I'm sure it will be super stealthy.

Ultegra134

by Ultegra134

Back in 2013 I wanted a light carbon wheelset.My budget was less than 450 euro, so the only wheels I could get were chinese ones.
The 50mm profile seemed too deep, I wanted something between 30-35mm.However, I couldn't find anything around that profile on Ebay.

I started searching up on Alibaba, and found a pretty decent and reasonably priced (For its weight) wheelset.It was more costly than the wheelsets found on ebay by known sellers.I contacted Betty immediately on skype, (Their sales manager) since their light wheelset (1000grams) had 32mm deep rim profile, which seemed what I wanted, with foam core rim made using Toray T1000 M40 And T700.I was still skeptical about buying from them since I hadn't found any reviews on forums.

The support was great so far, Betty answered all my questions, we were talking for about an hour, even regarding technical issues.She was also online whenever I had a question I was provided many photos of their products on the spot, the built wheelset with other hubs and options and so on.

Furthermore, I was also provided with a titanium QR set, 2 valve extenders, 2 sets of brake pads a double-sided wheelbag and two spare spokes.Betty asked me to confirm the order and my details to make sure everything would be fine.I paid through paypal, I received photos of the wheels and parcel before shipping it to EMS and later I was given the tracking number.And the Package arrived in 9 days.

Unfortunately the wheels after some rides developed a small crack in the braking surface(Sorry, I do not have the photo, I recently formatted my PC).I contacted Betty and she told me that they would send me a new wheelset from the 2014 range where this issue was resolved.After a day or two later, I received the tracking number and arrived slightly earlier than the last time; 8 days.The braking surface seems slightly different than it used to be, I think at least since it was long time ago.I've ridden these wheels for some time now, did some sprinting on them, climbing, downhill while putting a lot of stress in braking and they seemed fine so far.The complete control of my bicycle has changed.It feels more stiff and climbs a lot better.

Here are some photos too.

YmOeU

by YmOeU

Wow so u ended up with 2 wheel sets for the price of one? Had to pay to ship the last set? Which factory/website/ebay seller were they from? That sounds like a great package with bags and spokes and what not how much did it cost?

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

Ultegra134 wrote:I started searching up on Alibaba, and found a pretty decent and reasonably priced (For its weight) wheelset.It was more costly than the wheelsets found on ebay by known sellers.I contacted Betty immediately on skype, (Their sales manager) since their light wheelset (1000grams) had 32mm deep rim profile, which seemed what I wanted, with foam core rim made using Toray T1000 M40 And T700.I was still skeptical about buying from them since I hadn't found any reviews on forums.

Key words: 32mm, lighter than most Chinese rims, foam core, T1000 carbon... I suppose your wheels are from X-bike?
http://xbike.en.alibaba.com/product/1810903181-221179500/2014_XBIKE_700c_carbon_lightweight_tubular_32mm_980g_wheel_oem.html

Actually there are some early reports(not favorable though...) on these foam-cored rims:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87659&start=45
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87659&start=60
The delaminating rim in the post was made by X-bike, sold by Farsports under the model name of FSC50-CP. I wonder if their quality improves nowadays?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aktexican

by aktexican

LouisN wrote:I knew I had to take some pics, but don't own any camera nor Ipods/phones ... :oops:
I'll manage to get some pics when the junior kid comes back to my place for tubular glueing lessons :p.

Also find a new host for pics. My "old" Imageshack account now costs $$$ ...

Louis :)

Louis,

I don't have enough posts to PM but you can contact me directly via my username at gmail.com