Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GT8

by GT8

38mm Clincher Carbon Wheels U 23mm Wide Sapim CX-Ray UD Matt BASALT Rim

From Carbon Cycle on eBay. Dealt with Rae - emails answered comprehensively within hours (some instantly) and wheels in my hands 15 days after ordering, impressed so far.

Weights are pretty much as advertised at 1385g pair, actual 1408g.

Been riding and racing Wheelsmith 38mm 23mm V tubs for last 2 years and looking forward to seeing how my new wheels match up. The WS have been excellent, just tired of the inconvenience and cost of tubs.

Will post up thoughts when I get them suited and booted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201395508140

felipedana

by felipedana

hi GT8, do you know if these are tubeless compatible?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GT8

by GT8

Not sure sorry, no mention of it in the advert. Email Rae, hopefully get a quick reply and let us know :)

Point

by Point

Really tempted by either Light Bicycle or Far Sports and not sure which one.

Is the general consensus that they're both reliable and good products for the price?

Also, are Novatec hubs the ones to go for?

Cheers for any help.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

Marin

by Marin

Farsports have been good for me (3 sets). I run Bitex (lighter) and Novatec SL (bit tougher).

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I'm happy with my Light Bicycle rru55c2 rims that I built into wheels myself. I've put a couple thousand kilometres on them and my only complaints are about hire they drilled the spoke holes and that it's been a minor bit of work to make them not squeal with the brake pads I've chosen.
The spoke holes were only a problem because of my inexperience wheel building. It merely cost me a few hours of frustration because of non standard offset, left-right vs right-left starting from the valve hole.
The brake squealing problem is likely common on basalt brake tracks and is alleviated by a slight toe out pad adjustment. It just doesn't seem to last. I'm using Reynolds Cryo Blue pads which are a popular choice with Chinese wheels.

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Got my 40mm U shaped tubulars. They supposed to be UD glossy, but are just painted black to cover brake surface and then clear coated. Paint added ca 20g per rim.
395g and 397g

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

Point

by Point

I'm very tempted by the LightBicycle 45mm's I must admit.

Out of interest, has anyone bought from the T0ky0 VVh33ls? (written in 'leet' because Ideally i'd like to avoid their input which I always see on forums as they search for their name being mentioned). The incentives are rather appealing as is the well layed out website. The prices aren't great but with blackfriday they've suddenly become more appealing. So if any one on here has good recommendations I may look at them!
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

F45

by F45

The complaint I have with the LB RRUxx2 rims is that they are advertised as 25mm wide but in reality only the top of the brake track is 25mm. It flares to 26.3mm. I was hoping that I could swap wheels without adjusting the brake pads with my early 2015 U35 rims, but that is not the case. So LB gives out drawings if its rims that are quite incorrect.

The inner width is actually 18.3mm. If they had kept the 17mm dimension of the previous gen U rims then a wider variety of tires would be aero. But as it stands, this rim is still only aero with 23mm tires. Using a 25mm flares the tire wider than the rim and that is bad for aerodynamics.

Point

by Point

F45 wrote:The complaint I have with the LB RRUxx2 rims is that they are advertised as 25mm wide but in reality only the top of the brake track is 25mm. It flares to 26.3mm. I was hoping that I could swap wheels without adjusting the brake pads with my early 2015 U35 rims, but that is not the case. So LB gives out drawings if its rims that are quite incorrect.

The inner width is actually 18.3mm. If they had kept the 17mm dimension of the previous gen U rims then a wider variety of tires would be aero. But as it stands, this rim is still only aero with 23mm tires. Using a 25mm flares the tire wider than the rim and that is bad for aerodynamics.

That's very interesting to know, thank you!
Not sure what to go for now.

I've just seen CRC are selling Reynolds 46 Clinchers for £799 instead of £1999.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

slriding

by slriding

You may have a look at yoeleobike

My ordering was simple. Communication was great. The delivery was prompt and well packaged. The wheels were perfectly true straight out of the box. All I had to do was install the rim tape supplied and after changing over the break pads I was ready to roll.

My first ride was in blustery 35-40km/h head-cross winds. Far from ideal and as expected my Cervelo S3 frame twitched like mad. Once the wheels got up to speed this lessened somewhat but at lower speeds the wheels felt a little odd at times compared to my Shimano C50s.

The wheels really start to shine once you get them up to speed, 35+km/h... at 40+km/h they fly. 24 spokes front and 28 back seems like overkill for my body weight (73kgs) but it does make the wheels really stiff and felt solid when sprinting.

For the price I paid, these wheels are really, very, very good. Bang for buck, I don't think I could find anything equal to them. Any gain I could get from Enves or Zipps just isn't going to add up compared to these wheels.

Point wrote:I'm very tempted by the LightBicycle 45mm's I must admit.

Out of interest, has anyone bought from the T0ky0 VVh33ls? (written in 'leet' because Ideally i'd like to avoid their input which I always see on forums as they search for their name being mentioned). The incentives are rather appealing as is the well layed out website. The prices aren't great but with blackfriday they've suddenly become more appealing. So if any one on here has good recommendations I may look at them!

mdusink

by mdusink

dmulligan wrote:... The brake squealing problem is likely common on basalt brake tracks and is alleviated by a slight toe out pad adjustment. It just doesn't seem to last. I'm using Reynolds Cryo Blue pads which are a popular choice with Chinese wheels...

for the LB-rims, I use Black Prince. Out of curiosity I rode LBL with cryoblue's, they squealled during longer decents. After LBL went back to Black Prince. Couldn't get them to squeal whatever I tried. Black prince for me.

resurtm

by resurtm

Hello!

I'm interested in Yoeleo wheels' carbon braking surface reviews. Anyone has opinion on them? I'm planning to descent on road with 10—15% gradient, including rainy weather and wet conditions. Would they work? Should I start searching for the rims with alloy braking surface?

I appreciate any advices and help!

Cheers.

glepore

by glepore

50mm x 25mm U shaped carbon wheels on Powerway hubs from Ebay seller sobaotstore. G3 lacing rear.Promptly shipped, came in a Workswell box so suspect that is source. Well packed. $450.

Initial impressions-nice even tension. Very true. Braking on a flattish ride was very good, no pulse whatsoever, supplied blue pads have nice modulation.

1625g. Not weenie wheels, but what wide 50's are?
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmulligan

by dmulligan

55mm x 25mm U shaped carbon wheels made from Light Bicycle RRU55C02 rims. I built them on White Industries T11 hubs, 20+24 CX-Ray spokes and Sapim alloy nipples. They've stayed true.
Braking reminds me of the reasonably good cantis of my CX bike so pretty good but not great. I've not had the luck to try then in the wet. I rode them around a light shower once that we managed to mostly and somehow. I passed through some damp sections and noticed no difference in braking. Take that for what it is... I may or may not have got the rims wet.
23mm GP4000s2 tyres look bigger than 25mm GP4000s2 on these rims. Cornering is great and running on slightly lower pressure is comfy.
Weight:1551g. Pretty good for wide and 55mm deep :)

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk