Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Thuekr

by Thuekr

WU6C Yishunbike has an ERD of 522 instead of 525 as announced - the DT competition spokes came up a just a little long using the 525 ERD.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tharmor

by tharmor

Ummm, that's kind of a problem. What did Yishun say/do about it?

Thuekr

by Thuekr

tharmor wrote:Ummm, that's kind of a problem. What did Yishun say/do about it?

I didn't write them - just ordered some 2mm shorter spokes - the build up was very fun

pushstart

by pushstart

This is why you should always measure before ordering spokes. I always do now. The mfr data is often wrong, I have found. And I guess it can vary between batches too.

spliid

by spliid

ToffieBoi wrote:Yesterday my friends and I ordered 3 sets of wheels from Rae, carbon-cycle.

I will write a long review after I get them, but so far, the communication with Rae was perfect.

Did you contact them through eBay or?

It would be nice to see some closeups of some of the wheels from carbon-cycle since the price is far better than farsports. I have owned four pair from farsports now and are very satisfied but if I can get the same quality for less money 8) .

Anyone knows where farsports source there rims? I dont think it´s flybike.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I recently built up a pair of disc-wheel clincher wheels for my cyclocross bike so that I can have a separate wheelset for road and off-road riding. I bought the rims off of aliexpress, but since they are flagrant knock-off copies of a well-known and patented wheelset, I will refrain from posting the direct link. A little search will turn them up pretty quickly. The hubs are Circus Monkey HDW3-R 24H/24H disc brake hubs bought off ebay. Spokes are standard sapim CX-rays.
Rims: 25mmx45mm carbon clincher: 455g + 458g
Hubs: Circus Monkey HDW3-R 24H/24H: 117.4g + 224.1g
Spokes: Cx-ray + polyax alloy nipples: 221.1g + 15.5g
Total wheel weight w/o rotors, skewers, or rim tape: 1485.2g

So I've done literally 2 rides on these wheels, so I'm not going to pretend that I can give you any first impressions on the ride quality or durability. I can tell you that they didn't explode instantly, and that's about it. I can comment on the quality of the rims during the actual wheelbuilding process, however. The finish is just so-so. There are some very clear blemishes on the surface, most alarmingly the brake track, that seem to be manufacturing defects. I told the guy/gal I bought these from to not even bother putting a brake track since it's a disc brake wheel, so maybe they skipped the basalt braking finish or whatever. The spoke holes and rim hole were not all drilled very cleanly, with some bits of frayed carbon here or there, but nothing so alarming as to be an issue. The rims themselves were not very true out of the box. With even tension calibrated by a park tool tensiometer, there was significant lateral and radial wobble. Not so much to be dangerous, but still somewhat disappointing for such a deep rim straight out of the box.

Full-res album here: http://imgur.com/a/ySR3y

mulletmaster

by mulletmaster

They look great although I'm not sure on the dimples.

trillo1111

by trillo1111

[quote="spliid"][quote="ToffieBoi"]Yesterday my friends and I ordered 3 sets of wheels from Rae, carbon-cycle.

I will write a long review after I get them, but so far, the communication with Rae was perfect.[/quote]

Did you contact them through eBay or?

It would be nice to see some closeups of some of the wheels from carbon-cycle since the price is far better than farsports. I have owned four pair from farsports now and are very satisfied but if I can get the same quality for less money 8) .

Anyone knows where farsports source there rims? I dont think it´s flybike.[/quote]

Hey Spliid - if you need pics, send me an e-mail at trillot@hotmail.com. I have pics from a set of the 27mmx40mm carbon clincher. Just haven't been able to figure how to post here. (if anyone has any tips???)

sanrensho

by sanrensho

kulivontot wrote: The hubs are Circus Monkey HDW3-R 24H/24H disc brake hubs bought off ebay.

I would be very interested in hearing how the rear Circus Monkey hub holds up in rain.

When I built my disc wheelset, I shied away from the CM rear after reading reports of failed freehubs. I used a front CM hub however and it has been fine (never expected any trouble from it).

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I would expect not very well. The bearing seals do not stay in place very well. There's a whole mbtreview.com thread on them.

Slagter

by Slagter

trillo1111 wrote:
Hey Spliid - if you need pics, send me an e-mail at trillot@hotmail.com. I have pics from a set of the 27mmx40mm carbon clincher. Just haven't been able to figure how to post here. (if anyone has any tips???)

If you don´t mind, post the pics here - more people will benefit from it.

You can upload pics via www.tinypic.com and copy/paste the link to this tread.

stuka666

by stuka666

I had a pair of CM hubs (hdw2) on the 26", the freehub was 1000km before it died.

I rode those wheels in all around weather, but I look after the material.. and never had a freehub fail on me.

ChaosHokie

by ChaosHokie

Hey everyone, reading through this thread has me overwhelmed like several of the other people before.

I'm looking for a set of tubulars in the 45mm depth range, used for training and racing. What I'm struggling with is the spoke count and whether it's better to buy the rims and have a local wheelbuilder build it up on some DTs or White's hubs. Typically, there's not a ton of climbing and descending where I train, but there's a lot of rolling hills in the 10-12% grade.

My weight fluctuates from between about 85-95kgs. It seems to me that the 95kgs is kind of the edge of most of the manufacturer's recommended weights.

Thanks!

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Zepp Tree-oh-tree firecrust, now featured on November Cycles:
http://www.novemberbicycles.com/blog/20 ... -pt-3.html

steelisreal79

by steelisreal79

Dear all,

I am investigating possibilities in replacing my alu wheelset with a pair of carbon wheels.

Since my Chris King hubs are still in sublime condition I'm looking to purchade rims only and not a complete wheelset

Based on my weight and the terrain I ride (Flemish countryside) I Ideally want the following setup:

Front: 38 mm high x 25 or 28 mm width (32h)
Rear: 50 mm high x 25 or 28 mm width (32h)

Does anyone have experiences and/or reviews in getting rims with this spokecount

Thank you in advance for your efforts and looking forward to receiving your comments.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com