Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ryker

by ryker

Double.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

johnnyboydotca

by johnnyboydotca

johnnyboydotca wrote:
eric wrote:
johnnyboydotca wrote:No, they have a version for carbon brake tracks as well. They are the blue ones not the black ones for alloy rims.

The carbon pads are the R55C4, not the C3. The pics I found show black pads.

I thought the same as well. But I actually have a couple of sets here. I had ordered these originally for my old Dura Ace C50 clinchers and then found out they were for carbon rims only when I got them. I think I will try them out on the new wheels at least to see how they compare tot he stock blue pads that came with the wheels.

Finally a decent day to try out the new wheels from Yoeleo. I found the Shimano pads had more bite and modulation than the Chinese blue pads.

tharmor

by tharmor

I've been talking with Carbon-Cycle (FlyBike - thanks @mackers) over the past few days, and they have just recently started listing the 30mm, 40mm, 56mm, and 86mm (27mm wide) aero wheelsets paired with Sapim CX-Ray spokes and a choice of either Novatec hubs or Chosen hubs. As of now, they are all in stock, but they have only listed the 40mm tubulars / clinchers. The plan is to have the rest photographed and listed by the end of this week.

Prices are as follows ::

$435 paired with Sapim CX-Rays + Novatec hubs
$449 paired with Sapim CX-Rays + Chosen hubs

Shipping is still $80 from China to the USA.

cycloxer

by cycloxer

Nice, I like my 30's so much, I might get another pair of 40's or 50's. They are really nice wheels for the $$$.

jo.k

by jo.k

So what's the verdict of the build quality of the wheels from carbon-cycle? I am thinking of ordering just the rims (40H27W) to go with a set of hubs from bikehubstore and get a local builder to build them. Any opinions on this vs. ready built from carbon-cycle with either Chosen or Novatec hubs?

cycloxer

by cycloxer

The build quality of my wheels from carbon-cycle is pretty good and they haven't changed at all since I have ridden them. The spokes appear to have even tension, though I have not measured them as I haven't had any issues. I am not hard on wheels.

The Nova hubs are okay. I had to re-lube the rear hub to quiet it down and press in-out a couple of the bearings. One was not fully seated and I didn't like how it felt, though I am being particular. My mechanic was laughing at me saying, look, these are cheap Chinese hubs that work just fine if you leave them alone. I should add that they appear to have machined extra material off of a 10 speed freehub body to make their 11 speed version. This must have been an older freehub body. The tolerances and build quality are not quite up to par with what you'd find from a top tier hub manufacturer. You just have to keep your expectations in check.

The carbon rims are pretty good. They are not 100% perfectly round and the brake track width is not 100% perfectly even as compared to what you might get from Zipp. Again, there is also nothing majorly wrong. If I had to try to quantify, I'd say they are 95% as good. The wheels ride smooth and brake as can be expected from carbon brake tracks. There is no terrible pulsing under braking, though you can feel that they are not as flat as an aluminum rim.

Again, you are talking about a <$500 wheelset as compared to a $2,700 set of Zipps. You have to decide what is good enough for your needs.

jo.k

by jo.k

Thanks for your reply. I am fully aware that these are not boutique wheels, and I have some experience with chinese wheels as I used a pair of Farsports' low profile wheels last year until a longitudinal crack in the asphalt killed the rear rim.

Those wheels became a bit untensioned after some 100 kms, if that's really a word, and I had to get a shop to retension them. My thinking is that if the hubs provided are more or less on par with the BHS hubs, and the tension and build quality is acceptable, I will not bother buying everything in parts. But, if they will need to be rechecked by a builder, I might as well give him the hubs and rims and buy the spokes from him.

Either way, I see a pair of the carbon-cycle 40mm rims in my near future.

trillo1111

by trillo1111

Just paid for a set of carbon-cycle 40mm rims, with Novatec A291/F482 hubs and CX-ray spokes. This setup wasn't listed on e-bay, but Rae was excellent at communicating and we negotiated this custom build at a VERY good price - far better than the competitors. I too was thinking of buying just rims and then buying BHS hubs and Sapim laser or Cx-ray spokes, but the built price saved hundreds, plus the hastle of sorting out the build.

Anyone looking at 40mm wheels on e-bay, just make sure you are comparing apples to apples - there are many different build variations with what appears to be the same rim - but some using lower quality and much heavier hubs and spokes.

I will post more info when I receive them here in Canada - and after I ride for a bit. I'm hoping this will be a good compromise of durability and lightweight, with an allround wide aero rim that looks a lot like a vision metron 40 or a slightly deeper bontrager aeolus 3 d3 (35mm). Spent a lot of time contemplating this one - came down to this and the light-bicycle 45mm u shaped rims. In the end, I'm good with 40mm vs 45mm, there is a little extra weight (500g for carbon-bicycle rims vs 450g for light-bicycle), but I have to admit being a little concerned at how the light-bicycle set could be built to be so much lighter than a comparable sized 303 Zipp... - so hoping the extra weight will make for a bit of extra durability. I have to admit the price savings (over $100) didn't hurt. Also, carbon-cycle comes with basalt brake track, and they have a good warranty and return policy (free shipping). Anyways, thought I would post my results in case it helps anyone else who has been stalking this thread like me trying to make a decision.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Who are the best people to get these from? Not sure Farsports sell them separately or just as wheelsets. Are there any other reputable companies selling them as rims only? What's your experiences?

eric

by eric

Farsports sells rims and wheels.

alpinestar

by alpinestar

Yesterday I had my first full on wet ride on my carbon wheels. It's just a china set of clinchers. I was surprised by the lack of breaking force. At the first squeeze nothing at all, then as the breaks heats some breaking force comes in. I'm running black prince pads on campagnolo record skeleton breaks. Any other pads that provide better performance in the wet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hna

by hna

That's usual for almost all carbon rims. The water has to clear from the rim for the breaking to kick in.

tharmor

by tharmor

dereksmalls wrote:Who are the best people to get these from? Not sure Farsports sell them separately or just as wheelsets. Are there any other reputable companies selling them as rims only? What's your experiences?

FarSports has two websites ::

www.farsports.cn
www.wheelsfar.com

From what I can gather, the .cn website is just for product info and showcase. The .com website is obviously for ecommerce.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Yeah I've poured over those sites in great detail loads of times. I think I'll have to email them to get details on rim only prices. I know Planet X does the rims to but only in 20H right now and they are quite heavily covered in decals and gloss so they are out. Any other companies I should look into?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

I was planning on purchasing either the standard 38mm tubular (330g) or the 40mm wide (380 g)profile tubular (rims only, available 20/24h).

From HongFu bikes.

The 38mm was somewhere around $240. for a pair, plus shipping ($85. to Canada), and the 40 mm was $289. for the pair.
Clinchers are roughly $80-100. more if my memory's right.

Louis :)