Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

wrcompositi wrote:
fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Besides, the wheel's stiffness doesn't depend on spoke tension.

Which begs the question, what does spoke tension influence if not stiffness?

Ciao, ;)

Well, I think Dave has summed it up pretty well in the previous post. :thumbup: Higher tension can prevent NDS spokes from going totally slack but doesn't contribute to better stiffness.

The correct answer is responsiveness.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tharmor

by tharmor

According to Nancy at HongFu, the HF-R86 (the new 86mm aero wheel from them) is currently undergoing testing in China and will not be ready for production until the middle of April. Also, all of the new Aero models from them (the 40, 56, and 86) will only be made with external nipples, which I guess is a bit surprising to me considering they are aero specific wheels. I'm sure it's not that big of a difference in the drag coefficient, but it was still curious to me that they didn't go the internal route.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

tharmor wrote:According to Nancy at HongFu, the HF-R86 (the new 86mm aero wheel from them) is currently undergoing testing in China and will not be ready for production until the middle of April.

Do you have info on the availability of the other profiles? I'm particularly interested in the 40 tubular... Thanks!

tharmor

by tharmor

Nancy mentioned that the 56 is available now in both tubie and clincher. However, both the 40 and the 86 are 40-50 days out. I could be mistaken, tho. She's really good about answering my emails. You can reach her here ::

sales04@hongfu-bikes.cn

Just remember that their days are usually just the opposite of those of us in the USA. I find that she answers me immediately (almost like an instant message) around 9pm MST.

Good luck

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Yestarday I got my U-shape wheels from LBS.
Mechanic said that the Circus Monkey rear hub has very bad center to flange dimensions. He can´t interlace spokes (too much bend). I was almost sure that my rear wheel has no lateral stiffness, but I took a quick spin in the evening and it felt stiff.
Conti GP4000S 25mm is 27,1mm on this rim.
I mounted cassette with spacer as usually, but then I heard little clatter. Spacer was moving between hub and cassette. Then I removed it and chain didn´t touch spokes, weird!
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

mentok

by mentok

rainerhq wrote:Mechanic said that the Circus Monkey rear hub has very bad center to flange dimensions. He can´t interlace spokes (too much bend).

wut? got hub measurements?

rainerhq

by rainerhq

tharmor

by tharmor

teleguy57 wrote:
tharmor wrote:According to Nancy at HongFu, the HF-R86 (the new 86mm aero wheel from them) is currently undergoing testing in China and will not be ready for production until the middle of April.

Do you have info on the availability of the other profiles? I'm particularly interested in the 40 tubular... Thanks!

Scratch what I said earlier - I just re-read our conversations via email. The following are already available ::

1. 40mm tubular
2. 56mm tubular
3. 56mm clincher

The following are 40-50 days out ::

1. 40mm clincher
2. 86mm tubular
3. 86mm clincher

I should also add that it is at least reassuring that HongFu mandates that their products pass certain quality tests. From their Flickr page, those test appear to be quite rigorous. They also claim to pass the EU standards and provide the actual documents to prove that.

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

rainerhq wrote:Yestarday I got my U-shape wheels from LBS....

Did you get a chance to weight the rims before the wheels got built?

rainerhq

by rainerhq

493/500g

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

teleguy57 wrote:

I'm with you...liking the profile of the HongFu 40mm. Looks very close to my Zipp 303 FCs. Would like to get a set built up with the DT 240s hubs in clinchers for training.

I live in Florida, even on hills/descents, it is flat out. Only a few times where you need to ride the brakes to slow down enough to take a turn, the vast majority down here are running carbon clinchers. Nobody has had a wheel implode yet, never an issue around here.

I sent HongFu an email regarding pricing and ability to build wheelsets.

Otherwise, have to get the rims, then have them built up with some CXRays and good quality hubs on my own.

bc sparks

by bc sparks

tharmor wrote:Scratch what I said earlier - I just re-read our conversations via email. The following are already available ::

1. 40mm tubular
2. 56mm tubular
3. 56mm clincher

The following are 40-50 days out ::

1. 40mm clincher
2. 86mm tubular
3. 86mm clincher

I sent a message inquiring about the 56mm tubular and was told "the tubular rims now is testing". Then I asked when they would be available and was told "the tubular don't have the lead time".

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Nancy sent me this: I've asked again for clarification as to what is exactly available.

"this is Nancy.

the price:

40mm tubular rim:$275

40mm clincher rim:$375

56mm tubular rim:$285

56mm clincher rim:$385

now only have clincher rim is producing.

tubular is testing."

I'm confused...so it seems no tubulars, just clinchers?

Then she replies back they have both sets in tubulars of 40-56mm....can't get a straight answer.

Edit, latest as another poster mentioned. Only 56mm clincher available now. No ETAOn tubulars in the various sizes.

Dammit

by Dammit

Farsports 50x25mm to Novatec disc hubs with Sapim CX-Ray:

I've not yet received them, but weight is (I am assured) 1,580g.

Dammit

by Dammit

Anyone know which colour/size of Veloplug I need to order for the Farsports 50X25mm clincher rims?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com