Clear plastic protection film that's stick on instead of you

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stockae92

by stockae92

Is there any bulk Clear plastic protection film (to prevent cable rub on the frame and stuff) that has sticky back like a sticker instead of you have to apply it wet? For more simple installation and removal.

I looked at a few "bike specific" ones and they are quite expensive. I am trying to find like a bulk size (a roll) which I can cut my own size.

I also saw quite a few that's like car paint protection film which you have to use solution and apply them wet.

Thanks.

mimason

by mimason

My local shop gave me some free but they are already cut to size. Give that a try.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

I've been having good luck with this for over 10 years. It stayed on the frame/part for years without turning yellow and offers good protection too. I use it on chain stays and where cable rubs. The film is little flexible so it works well on curvy chain stays. I cut it into exactly the shape I need with xacto knife.

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/bike-sa ... ctive-tape

BRM

by BRM

stockae92

by stockae92

BRM wrote:search on ebay on: frame protection

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... n&_sacat=0

Thanks for the suggestion, I think those 3M protection film will do the trick :)

kode54

by kode54

i use the 3M clear bra for cars. you can get a few scraps from detailing shops...enough to cover your entire bike! car hoods and bumpers are so big compared to thin bicycle tubes. they usually throw those pieces away.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

BRM

by BRM

stockae92 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, I think those 3M protection film will do the trick :)

Have in mind that these films are available in different thickness.

stockae92

by stockae92

BRM wrote:
stockae92 wrote:

Have in mind that these films are available in different thickness.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Maybe I will get some thicker ones around the small chain ring BB area in place of a chain catcher :)

Squint

by Squint

I got a 5' x 25' roll yesterday. I apply it to my cars since the shop here wants >$2000 for the coverage I want. I think a few pieces might find their way onto my bike as well. I've never applied it to a bike before but I should have plenty of material leftover to practice with.

AFAIK, they're all adhesive-backed and could be applied dry if you wanted. The reason they're applied wet with a soapy "slip" solution is to allow repositioning and removal of wrinkles/bubbles by squeegeeing. A second "tack" solution of alcohol and water is used to tack the film down in certain areas by flushing out the slip solution. You could probably get away with applying it dry with small, simple pieces like those that would be applied on a bike but with no slip solution the film may pick up fingerprints.

I may try wrapping an entire frame rather than just putting a strip on the downtube.

kode54

by kode54

Squint wrote:I got a 5' x 25' roll yesterday. I apply it to my cars since the shop here wants >$2000 for the coverage I want. I think a few pieces might find their way onto my bike as well. I've never applied it to a bike before but I should have plenty of material leftover to practice with.

AFAIK, they're all adhesive-backed and could be applied dry if you wanted. The reason they're applied wet with a soapy "slip" solution is to allow repositioning and removal of wrinkles/bubbles by squeegeeing. A second "tack" solution of alcohol and water is used to tack the film down in certain areas by flushing out the slip solution. You could probably get away with applying it dry with small, simple pieces like those that would be applied on a bike but with no slip solution the film may pick up fingerprints.

I may try wrapping an entire frame rather than just putting a strip on the downtube.

with the thin stuff, you probably could wrap the entire bike. i like the thick film they use for headlights...especially for the chain stays and brake housing areas where it rubs on the head tube. i just use Windex as a solution to put the film on...seems to work fine for the small pieces i put on.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

3M tape does the job. If you want the best, use helicopter tape. It is tape that the racecars use as well. Super strong, does not leave residue.

eric01

by eric01

+1 for helicopter tape. Search on eBay. I've also used black electrical tape on my black bikes. Matte or glossy to match the frame. Of course electrical tape doesn't look good on a bare titanium frame.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com