New 23mm wide aero rim available! $54

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BmanX

by BmanX

H Plus Son Archetype rim is 450g per their website.

according to their website the lightest rim the sell is 450g

Archetype

Weight: 450 grams
Material: G609 Alloy
Height: 25 mm
Width: 23 mm
Size: 700c
Joint: Welded

The perfect all around road rim. At 450 grams, this rim has proven to be light yet not sacrificing strength, stiffness, and stability. The well accepted 23mm wide profile mimics a tubular tire, where the advantage can be felt immediately while taking corners as the tire is no longer shaped as a light bulb, flopping over with high load. Our impeccable H Plus Son workmanship and our invisible welded rim joint comes standard with each rim.
Last edited by BmanX on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Murphs

by Murphs

WTF? :smartass:

Imaking20

by Imaking20

How does the rim being 22 grams lighter have anything to do with the price? :noidea:

...and the weights are 472 and 450

cep111

by cep111

One thing we have al learned over the years is if a rim manufacturer claims a weight @ 450 grams they usually are verified at 20 grams more. Seems to be a rule they try to follow for some reason. So the H Plus Son rim probably comes in close to the BHS rim. They in fact may be the prime manufacturer if not Kinlin

bones

by bones

cep111 wrote:One thing we have al learned over the years is if a rim manufacturer claims a weight @ 450 grams they usually are verified at 20 grams more. Seems to be a rule they try to follow for some reason. So the H Plus Son rim probably comes in close to the BHS rim. They in fact may be the prime manufacturer if not Kinlin

Yeah, definitely true about rim manufacturers fibbing a little bit on weight. Problem is that some manufacturers are notably worse than others. Tire manufacturers do this too.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

You reckon these would do well for CX racing?

BobSantini

by BobSantini

bones wrote:
cep111 wrote:One thing we have al learned over the years is if a rim manufacturer claims a weight @ 450 grams they usually are verified at 20 grams more. Seems to be a rule they try to follow for some reason. So the H Plus Son rim probably comes in close to the BHS rim. They in fact may be the prime manufacturer if not Kinlin

Yeah, definitely true about rim manufacturers fibbing a little bit on weight. Problem is that some manufacturers are notably worse than others. Tire manufacturers do this too.

Don't all al' rim weights creep up over time due to die wear, or am I just guessing?
The Kinlin 200s advertised on BHS as 375g that I bought recently were 390g. Velocity Aeroheads are reputedly considerably heavier than their advertised weight. These have been around for a few years. However brand new Stan's 340s seem to come in at or under advertised weight.
r o y g b i v

sbh1973

by sbh1973

The last time I put Kinlin XR200s on the scale they were averaging around 375g. After reading your post, I weighed 6 more from another production run. They were averaging around 383g. I've updated the website to reflect this. I've never weighed an XR200 at 390g, but it's not impossible. I don't weigh every one that goes out, that's for sure!

headwind816

by headwind816

I ordered a pair, 20/24, to build with BHS hubs ... I will post weights when I get them.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

This is probably a silly question, but I am going to ask it anyway.

My Ghisallo wooden rims took quite a beating at the Liege-Bastogne-Liege grand fondo last Saturday, so I in need of some new rims.

I am planning to go for 23mm rims. On my current wheels I am running 25mm tires (GP4000s). Will the aero advantage of the 23mm rim work with both 23 and 25 tires or just with 23?

Rush

by Rush

There are no aerodynamic benefits with a 'standard' 23 mm rim (e.g. Hed Belgium C2, Velocity A23, H Plus Son Archetype). The curvature of the rim near the spoke nipples isn't sufficiently gentle to delay boundary layer separation. The benefits with these rims are ride/handing improvements due to improved tire deformation.

If you want aerodynamic improvements you have to consider rims such as the Zipp 101, Hed Jet 4 etc. These are slightly deeper (30 mm or greater) and have a rim shape that ensures that the boundary layer doesn't separate at the tire sidewall.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Will the ride/handling improvement be the same with 25mm tires, because I understand 23mm wide rims are built for use with 23mm tires?

Murphs

by Murphs

23mm rims will be better with 25mm tyres than 19mm rims are with 25mm tyres.

The ride/handling won't be the same, the ride will be better, the handling will be similar

Phill P

by Phill P

CX bikes and touring bikes have been using wider rims with their wider tires for a long time. They are stiffer and support the tire better for better handling etc.

Aero is bound to be better as the tire/rim is less light bulb shaped, but you'd be hard pushed to call it aero.

Again the aero will be better with 23mm tires and 23mm rims as the flow off te tyre onto the rim will be better. Doesn't mean it could be improved more wit the right shape around the spoke bead or a deeper profile. If you want more aero that has typically meant more weight added to the rim, so take your choice - deeper more aero and more weight, shallow lighter and less aero.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Daft question, but if you ran 19,20,21,22 mm tyres in a stock wheel will this mimic the effect of a wider rim ? :?: