New 23mm wide aero rim available! $54

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cep111

by cep111

http://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/162.htm

It doesn't saw Niobium but the weight seems like it might be, 28mm deep and 23 wide with aero profile 470 grams. Sure that it's the one Boyds uses and many more will over the next few months.

I was just planning on building a set of Heds c2's but this saves lots of cash and more hole drillings available.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mjduct

by mjduct

I was looking at buying some of those boyds wheels, but I might end up jsut building up these instead...

headwind816

by headwind816

Nice. I had been thinking of building a Velocity A23 wheel, but now that I have seen these ... where the drool emoticon?

cep111

by cep111

These are a little more appealing than the Velocity's for me anyway! Love the price!

Guymk

by Guymk

I was hoping that the rim that boyd is using for their new wide rims would become available! I have a set of A23s and while they ride great, they are a little lacking in the stiffness department. I am tempted to build up a set of wheels using these rims.

cep111

by cep111

Guymk wrote:I was hoping that the rim that boyd is using for their new wide rims would become available! I have a set of A23s and while they ride great, they are a little lacking in the stiffness department. I am tempted to build up a set of wheels using these rims.

If you buy from BHS he can send you the right length spokes and everything you need. Assemble them at home and then take to your LBS and have them dish and true them. It looks to me if you buy rims, a $100 set of hubs and $50 in bladed spokes your all set on a real bargain!

Guymk

by Guymk

I would build them up myself, my A23 wheel set i built using BHS hubs. I have also built a set of major toms for cross using his hubs. Its definitely a bargain, I am never buying pre built wheels again, thats for sure.

veloryan

by veloryan

Someone please post some pics of the built wheelset and a ride report (especially if you've ridden the HED or A23's)
Last edited by veloryan on Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

max5480

by max5480

Man, this came out and yesterday I just ordered some HED C2 Belgium tubulars. I got the HED over the A23 because I thought that the quality would be better on the head. I wonder how the quality of the Kinlin will compare to HED?

Phill P

by Phill P

When I was looking for wide rims from the OEMs I found most of the 22mm+ rims were called "cross" rims. I'd have to go look at my catalogs but this strikes me as Kinlin's "cross" rim.

I don't know BHS makes a profit.....prices are extremely low, must only mark up a few $$s per hub (or get the hubs for peanuts)
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

bricky21

by bricky21

Does anyone know if this rim is center drilled? It's difficult to tell from the pics.

Wizzo

by Wizzo

I posted this in the wheelbuilding thread. After riding Handspun's HED C2s, these are just a bit more stiff and probably 123456789x time more loud due to the HopePro III hubs but they corner fast with complete confidence.

Specs: HED Belgium Rims, 28H 2x cross Front / 28H 3x cross Rear, DT Swiss 2.0 Brass nips, CX-Ray spokes, Hope Pro III hubs, all wrap in Grand Prix 24s

EDIT: How it looks on the bike.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

Phill P wrote:When I was looking for wide rims from the OEMs I found most of the 22mm+ rims were called "cross" rims. I'd have to go look at my catalogs but this strikes me as Kinlin's "cross" rim.

I'm curious about who is making these. If it is a Kinlin rim it seems like he'd say so.

cep111

by cep111

rruff wrote:
Phill P wrote:When I was looking for wide rims from the OEMs I found most of the 22mm+ rims were called "cross" rims. I'd have to go look at my catalogs but this strikes me as Kinlin's "cross" rim.

I'm curious about who is making these. If it is a Kinlin rim it seems like he'd say so.

I wonder the same thing, he weight is about right for a Kinlin. I wonder if he is just trying to throw a few more competitors off. It's just a matter of time before everyone has a wide 30mm alloy rim in there offerings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Phill P

by Phill P

I just had a look through my kinlin catalogs and I couldn't find the rim I was thinking of. I may have been thinking of the XM-250 which is 23.8wx25d 480g
Looked at Alex rims as well and the wide rim they have is 23wx26d 450grams (which looks good-wonder what weight they could do welded)
Jalco said they had a rim that was used by Specialized a few years ago, but not heard from them yet.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com