ENVE SES 4.5 review - the guy doesn't seem impressed !

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Franklin

by Franklin

Denavelo wrote:Shallower rims spin up faster than say a 50mm/60mm combo. Climbing with a set of enve 2.2 and using the same 4.5 with the same weights. Pretty sure the 2.2 will spin up faster based on rim height. 404's and rims of that depth regardless of weight lose momentum on tight steep switchbacks. At least in my experience. Every switchback is like starting over again on the climb. Haha

Says the guy who just bought a set of Aeolus 5.0 tubular wheels.

The speed differences are minute. The weights are minute. It's not only not noticeable, the myth of micro-acceleration has been obliterated before.

Indeed, considering a higher rim is more aero, it will spin up faster. Here's an example how an even heavier setup destroys a lighter, but less aerodynamic setup from a standstill. Note the weight difference is even bigger than between the wheels we are discussing^^.

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/2014/ ... ts-ii.html

Clearly your wheels a re faulty or your perception is wrong. The higher rim will be faster (with the same weight).

Now onto the climbing/rotating mass myth. To quote MarkMcM who did this excercise with kilo's:. Now considering the amount he was working with, the idea that a few gram matter is beyond ridiculous.

viewtopic.php?t=6394&start=45#p60824

I can't believe that people keep arguing that rotating mass climbs slower than non-rotating mass under the same power. When you are working against gravity, mass is mass, it doesn't matter if it rotates or not. The idea that micro-accelerations due to pedal force fluctations make a difference in the overall picture is a strawman. During pedal force fluctuations, accelerations are decelerations cancel out. All that really matters is average power output vs. gravity.

Since Ras11 complained that no math has been offered, I decided to set up a model to simulate the accelerations/decelerations due to pedal fluctuations. The equations and variable values were taken from the Analytic Cycling web page.

Pedaling force: The propulsion force (from pedaling) was modeled as a sinusoidal. Since it is assumed average power is constant, the nomimal drive force will vary inversely with velocity. So, the propulsion force is modeled as:

Fp = (P/V)(1+Sine(2RT))

Fp = Propulsion force (pedaling)
P = Average power
V = Velocity
R = Pedaling revolution rate
T = Time

(Note: The angle in the sine term is double the pedal revolution rate, since there are two power strokes per revolution)

The drag forces on the rider are aerodynamic drag, rolling resistance, and gravity. These three terms together are:

Fd = (1/2)CdRhoAV^2 + MgCrrCosine(S) + MgSin(S)

Fd = drag force
Cd = Coefficient of aerodynamic drag
Rho = Density of air
A = Frontal area
M = total mass of bike and rider
Crr= Coefficient of Rolling Resistance
g = Acceleration of gravity
S = Slope of road

The total force is thus:

F = Fp - Fd

From Newton's second law, the equation of motion is:

dV/dt = F/I

I = Inertia

Because there is both rotating and non-rotating mass, total mass and total inertial will not be the same. Because mass at the periphery of the wheel as twice the inertia as non-rotating weight, the total mass and inertia of a bike are:

M = Ms + Mr
I = Ms + 2Mr

Ms = Static mass

Mr = Rotating mass

The complete equation of motion is thus:

dV/dt = {(P/V)(1+sin(2RT)) - [ (1/2)CdRhoAV^2 + (Ms+Mr)gCrrCosine(S) + (Ms+Mr)gSine(S) ] } / (Ms + 2Mr)

This equation is non-linear, so I solved it numerically with a 4th order Runge-Kutta numerical differentiation.

Borrowing the default values in the Analytic Cycling web page for "Speed given Power" page, the values used are:

P = 250 Watts, Cd = 0.5, Rho = 1.226 Kg/m^3, A = 0.5 m^2, Crr = 0.004, g = 9.806 m/s^2, S = 3% (= 1.718 deg.)

(http://www.analyticcycling.com/ForcesSpeed_Page.html)

For this simulation, the pedal revolution rate was selected as 540 deg/sec. (90 rpm cadence)

To solve this equation, a 4th order Runge-Kutta numerical differentiation was set up using an Excel spread sheet. Step size was selected at 0.01 sec., and the initial Velocity was 1 m/sec. The solution was calculated for 3 cases of equal total mass, but different distributions of static and rotating mass, calculated over a 200 second period, by which time each case had reached steady state. As expected, the velocity oscillated with the pedal strokes. The average, maximum, and minimum velocities during the oscillilations during stead state were:

Case 1:
Ms = 75 kg, Mr = 0 kg (0% rotating mass)
Average Velocity: 7.457831059 m/s
Maximum Velocity: 7.481487113 m/s
Minimum Velocity: 7.434183890 m/s
Speed fluctuation: 0.047303224 m/s

Case 2:
Ms = 70 kg, Mr = 5 kg (5.33% rotating mass)
Average Velocity: 7.457834727 m/s
Maximum Velocity: 7.480016980 m/s
Minimum Velocity: 7.435662980 m/s
Speed fluctuation: 0.044354000 m/s

Case 3:
Ms = 65 kg, Mr = 10 kg (10.67% rotating mass)
Average Velocity: 7.457837584 m/s
Maximum Velocity: 7.478718985 m/s
Minimum Velocity: 7.436967847 m/s
Speed fluctuation: 0.041751139 m/s

These results agree very strongly with the solution on the Analytic Cycling web page, which predicted an average speed with constant power of 7.46 m/s (16.7 mph)

The results show that as expected, the smaller the percentage of rotating mass, the greater the magnitude of the velocity oscillations (which are quite small). But a more interesting result is in the average speed. As the amount of rotating mass decreased, the more the average velocity _decreased_, not increased (at steady stage). This result is actually not unexpected. The drag forces are not constant, but vary with velocity, especially aerodynamic drage (Because aerodynamic drag increases with the square of velocity, power losses are increase out of proportion with speeds - so, for example, aerodynamic losses at 20 mph are 4 times as much as they would be at 10 mph). Because speed fluctuates as the propulsion force oscillations, in the cases of the low rotating mass, the maximum peak speeds reached are higher than for the cases with the high rotating mass. This means that when a lower percentage of rotating mass there will be greater losses during the speed peaks. Because of the total drag losses will be greater over the long run, the greater momentary accelerations with lower rotating mass actually results in a lower average speed.

To see what happens at a steeper slope, which will have a lower speed (and presumably larger speed oscillattions), I ran the model again with a 10% (5.7 deg.) slope. Here are the results:

Case 1:
Ms = 75 kg, Mr = 0 kg (0% rotating mass)
Average Velocity: 3.217606390 m/s
Maximum Velocity: 3.272312291 m/s
Minimum Velocity: 3.162540662 m/s
Speed fluctuation: 0.109771630 m/s

Case 2:
Ms = 70 kg, Mr = 5 kg (5.33% rotating mass)
Average Velocity: 3.217613139 m/s
Maximum Velocity: 3.268918539 m/s
Minimum Velocity: 3.165997726 m/s
Speed fluctuation: 0.102920813 m/s

Case 3:
Ms = 65 kg, Mr = 10 kg (10.67% rotating mass)
Average Velocity: 3.217618914 m/s
Maximum Velocity: 3.265921742 m/s
Minimum Velocity: 3.169047012 m/s
Speed fluctuation: 0.096874730 m/s

This data follows the same pattern as above. The speed oscillations (micro-accelerations) are greater with the lower rotating mass, but the average speed is also slightly lower with lower rotating mass. So next time you want to claim that lower rotating mass allows faster accelerations, remember too that the greater speed fluctuations (due to greater accelerations) will also results in greater energy losses due to drag forces.

But, in reality, the differences in speed fluctions and average speeds are really very small between all these cases. For all practical purposes, when climbing, it is only total mass that matters, not how it is distributed.

I'd be happy to send the Excel spreadsheet to anyone that is interested.

Stueys

by Stueys

+2, they are great wheels. I ride rolling but lumpy terrain in the UK and the wheels perform very well, noticeably stiffer than other carbon wheels I've ridden and hold speed really well. I think the 45/50 mm depth is the 'do-it-all' wheel unless you're off into the mountains and doing lengthy, hour plus climbs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Franklin wrote:This data follows the same pattern as above. The speed oscillations (micro-accelerations) are greater with the lower rotating mass, but the average speed is also slightly lower with lower rotating mass. So next time you want to claim that lower rotating mass allows faster accelerations, remember too that the greater speed fluctuations (due to greater accelerations) will also results in greater energy losses due to drag forces.

Can't believe I missed that great post by Mark McM!

I did these calculations also and got a similar result. When total mass is fixed you will climb a little faster with heavy rims vs light ones. And if the heavy rim is more aero, the benefit might be measurable.

Anybody with a set of deep and shallow clinchers (modern examples of the same brand with the same hubs would be ideal) and a good PM, who would like to do some testing?
formerly rruff...

Franklin

by Franklin

There are of course some practical tradeoffs. As any who rode with low-riders knows, weight at the front does dampen steering, but 100 grams are once again in the princess on the pea territory.

djconnel

by djconnel

And if you ever need to do a fixed speed deceleration, for example for a corner, you need to regain more momentum with the heavy rims. This is a very very small effect but so are those 2nd order aero gains from reduced micro accelerations. In any case total mass isn't fixed.

But any improved aerodynamics, which are mostly in crosswind, would help on a climb. On climbs wind tends to be less but speeds are also less so yaw angles may still be significant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

WeightySteve wrote:If you are moving vertically upwards (even at a constant speed), you are accelerating against the force of gravity, and so you are constanty trying to spin up the wheels. A lighter rim is always going to give you an advantage wether you are attacking or not.

Oh good lord no. I don't know where you think you learned physics but trust me, you didn't learn physics.

izza

by izza

sawyer wrote:I'm not sitting at my desk straight - am I accelerating too?

But whilst you sit there. Raise your arm above your head. Now keep it still.

Work = Force x distance. Keep your arm still and distance is nil, so work done is nil. But after a bit your arm gets tired.

So is it accelerating? [emoji2]

Wonderman

by Wonderman

This is the most pointless argument I've ever witnessed. Won't someone think of the children

Horze

by Horze

ergott wrote:1 minute faster than 3.4s? Okay.

Noticeably heavier than 3.4s? Yeah, about 20g.

Whatever.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

izza wrote:So is it accelerating? [emoji2]

No. It is resisting a force. This isn't the same as work or acceleration.
formerly rruff...

continuum

by continuum

SES 4.5 is a little bit too deep for windy weather in the UK, yes?

Grill

by Grill

No. I found both the 6.7 and Reynolds Aero 72 fine out here.

Marin

by Marin

If you are looking up, yes. :D

What's next, people postulate that you are decelerating when you are going down? That would only be "logical".

aerodynamiq

by aerodynamiq

I'm looking to get a Venge Vias, would you recommend these over eg. Bora 50's, Corima 47's or something in similar height? Since the bike is heavy as a tank I need the lightest option available with best aerodynamics in mind...
velonode.cc

survivor

by survivor

aerodynamiq wrote:I'm looking to get a Venge Vias, would you recommend these over eg. Bora 50's, Corima 47's or something in similar height? Since the bike is heavy as a tank I need the lightest option available with best aerodynamics in mind...

Venge Vias is tested with new Roval CX60 wheels for best overall aerodynamics according to Specialized.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com